News   Jun 26, 2024
 225     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

To allow work to progress on the King and Victoria rail/road grade separation during cold/inclement weather in the coming months.

Its February 10 and the worst of winter will soon be over. Shouldn't these have been built in October?

Here we go again.

CN dragged their feet making decisions and granting work permits. At the end of last winter, the decision was made to cover the work so it could continue through the winter. That decision was made before it began to snow.

No one could have predicted this winter would be so mild.

The structure will be used to keep the concrete warm as it cures well into the spring.

It is cheap insurance to save months of work.

I thought CN owns it, Metrolinx manages it and GEXR leases it (with an iron-fist grip). Dan?

Maybe Keith Laycock is cool with the complete lack of workplace regulation and safety that saw thousands die building the various transcontinental railways in Canada and America but I think the rest of us are cool with taking a bit of extra time in return for construction workers not dying in droves to build the LRT. Also, how was Cornelius van Horne supposed to disrupt traffic or businesses in the middle of the Rockies? Like is this guy for real? lol

Yeah, Ayr's a nice town (I worked there for 5+ years), but it's filled with lots of crotchety "I know better than you" types. They're going through a big expansion of new homes right now and all the old long-time residents hate it.

In other news, a local radio station put together this hilarious (and well done!) song about LRT construction in the Region:

...mad props for rhyming "Courtland between Block Line and Manitou". :)

Back