News   Mar 28, 2024
 114     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 178     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 250     0 

Waterfront: WDL Stormwater Treatment Plant (1s?, gh3/RV Anderson, WT)

I assume there will be some landscaping, eventually. Currently it looks somewhat isolated.

It will be tied to that whole Gardiner East public realm project eventually (not in Phase I):

1602779690139.png

I think the plan is going back to the WT DRP in the next few months.

AoD

Photos from gh3:

storm.jpg
storm2.jpg
storm3.jpg
storm4.jpg
storm5.jpg
storm6.jpg
storm7.jpg
storm8.jpg
storm9.jpg

It's glorious! Wonderful work by gh3. The finish looks alright in photos, too.

I do like when architects can treat these industrial objects better than the usual bland engineered solutions - there's a wonderful PoMo sewage pumping station in London that I like, that's now heritage listed!
There is a bit more on John Outram here: https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...rrorist-john-outram-cartoon-mashup-blitzcrete
I do not think there are any Toronto examples of his work.

Too bad that the boardwalk that is (was?) part of this seems to be delayed to some undetermined future!

Dear Stakeholder,

Waterfront Toronto has begun work on the final piece of a large Stormwater Management System that services East Bayfront, the West Don Lands and future communities north of the Keating Channel.

The final piece includes construction of in-water pipes along the section of the Water’s Edge Promenade spanning the foot of Sherbourne Common from approximately Dockside Drive to the southern point of 15 Merchants’ Wharf, also known as the Aqualina at Bayside condos.

As much of the work for this project occurs beneath the water’s surface and is not able to be seen, here is an overview of the work that has been completed since our last construction notice.

Work completed to date includes:
  • Significant progress on underwater beams
  • Pipe supports and pipe saddles
  • Pre-cast panels which are part of the structural frame supporting the stormwater infrastructure
  • Tie-backs for dockwall reinforcement
Next steps:
  • Manhole installation
  • 600 mm and 1200 mm underwater pipes installation
  • Pressure testing of newly installed pipes
  • Decommissioning of former pipes to connect the new pipes to the stormwater system
Due to ongoing supply chain issues and labour disputes that occurred earlier this year, the anticipated completion of construction on the project has been delayed to spring 2023.

Once complete, a temporary 1.8m tall fence will be installed on the outer edge of the Water’s Edge Promenade to protect the in-water pipes and ensure this critical piece of the stormwater management system remains intact and separated from the promenade until construction on the future boardwalk is ready to begin. We hope to provide an update on the boardwalk in 2023.

More info at: https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/our-projects/stormwater-treatment-system

1666990522682.png

The same City-owned parcel also contains a sanitary sewer pump station, closer to Cherry St, so this construction could be related to those works as well. The sludge from the SWM facility, as well as the sanitary drainage from East Bayfront, goes via here back north to the Low Level Interceptor trunk.

The new ramps from the Gardiner to the DVP will go awfully close to there as well. Though I think it's too early to be related to that.

Just wanted to post a reminder pic of this because it is so much more visible now that Cherry Street is open. Also didn’t realise that the plaza and water feature were done; no indication of it from the sidewalk. I imagine that this will be more open to the public later on. Taken 11 February.

IMG_7003.jpeg
IMG_7004.jpeg
IMG_7031.png
IMG_7032.png
IMG_7033.png

Back