News   May 16, 2024
 541     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 738     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 573     0 

VIVA + York Region Transit

FYI

YRT is hosting in-person public consultation events at various locations in York Region for the 2024 transit initiatives.
Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 11.42.33 AM.png

Due to the nature of Vaughan's creation as a a city of amalgamated villages, many are still kept as postal designations. For example, in Thornhill, most people will write Thornhill as their city name, regardless or not of whether they are in Markham or Vaughan, because postal companies still recognize it as such. Hard to believe it now, but Concord was once one of these "villages".

Due to the nature of Vaughan's creation as a a city of amalgamated villages, many are still kept as postal designations. For example, in Thornhill, most people will write Thornhill as their city name, regardless or not of whether they are in Markham or Vaughan, because postal companies still recognize it as such. Hard to believe it now, but Concord was once one of these "villages".
yup.. .people still use north york, etobicoke, and scarborough interchangeably even thought its all toronto now.

yup.. .people still use north york, etobicoke, and scarborough interchangeably even thought its all toronto now.
Same with Hamilton with Ancaster, Stoney Creek, Flamborough, etc. - and most of the other large amalgamated municipalities like Norfolk County, Kawartha Lakes, Haldimand, etc. all using former municipal boundaries still in postal addresses.

Vaughan is perhaps unique in that it's a second-tier municipality with local postage areas, while most of the other examples are single-tier.

Direct link to YRT/VIVA service changes page:

The residual VIVA blue is moving towards better service:

1692017918046.png

By contrast.....though the page discusses rush-hour improvements..........look at the joke that is Major Mac service......every 1hour 3 min weekday, mid-day:

1692018094890.png

View attachment 499852

By contrast.....though the page discusses rush-hour improvements..........look at the joke that is Major Mac service......every 1hour 3 min weekday, mid-day:

View attachment 499853
Shame for Green. I wonder if that means it will be cancelled in their masterplan as well or will it be revived in the future. i guess you can thank the hybrid and WFH jobs for killing it.

Blue A never really made much sense. the RHC stop didnt really cause much more time to the ride, maybe 5 min? i would say if it had bypassed RHC until bernard it wouldve made more sense as an express.

Shame for Green. I wonder if that means it will be cancelled in their masterplan as well or will it be revived in the future. i guess you can thank the hybrid and WFH jobs for killing it.
According to the FAQ, it’s still in the long term plans, subject to funding (as always). But I always felt its main purpose was to “balance out the map” as the eastern counterpart to the Vaughan subway/old Viva Orange and Viva Silver. I could think of a lot of priorities before a BRT on Leslie.

View attachment 499853
To be fair, route 25 runs on Major Mac East, where half the catchment area is farmland and the other half is almost exclusively single family homes, with no schools, retail areas or really any destinations to speak of. Essentially the entire catchment area is also served by the looping ends of N-S bus routes, which generally lead to more useful places more quickly than the 25.

I honestly think route 25 could be cancelled/merged with Route 18 to run from Yonge along Major Mack, Kennedy, and Bur Oak to provide some half decent service on Bur Oak Ave, which has many more destinations than Major Mac (multiple schools, retail areas, major parks, and connection to Mount Joy GO station)

Route 4 (the primary Major Mac route) runs every 17 minutes midday, which is still not great but not that horrible.

Ridership growth on Green was always problematic even before COVID. But it did have a dedicated ridership base, and those riders have been trying to make do with a substantially worse service to get to and from work than they did before. It would be nice if YRT were to actually follow through on what they claim and improve the service on the other routes serving the same area, but that's asking an awful lot of the organization.

The longer-term plan to run a VIVA service up Don Mills/Leslie is still in force.

Dan

View attachment 499852

View attachment 499853
Again, we should have demanded way better service prior to the subway. At least they still have 7 years to fix this :rolleyes:.

Again, we should have demanded way better service prior to the subway. At least they still have 7 years to fix this :rolleyes:.
We should demand 24-hour service on Yonge and Jane first. The rest of the subway network gets Blue Night service, while the section between Pioneer Village and VMC (and, as it stands, between Steeles and High Tech) get nothing.

We should demand 24-hour service on Yonge and Jane first. The rest of the subway network gets Blue Night service, while the section between Pioneer Village and VMC (and, as it stands, between Steeles and High Tech) get nothing.

If Durham can operate Pulse service on Kingston Road 24/7; there's no reason York Region can't do that for Highway 7

That would make the two N-S services much more useful.

Subsequently a more fulsome network is required.

Back