News   Aug 14, 2024
 386     0 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 452     0 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 740     1 

VIVA + York Region Transit

Hoping to see 24-hour service on routes 20 and 98/99 in 2025.

Sure, but York Region should be be running at least a dozen 24 hour routes to have a viable network.

Two services in isolation has very limited utility.

I would argue, for a start, for 9 N-S services, Yonge, and 4 to the east and 4 to the west.

Along with 3 E-W services, Hwy 7, and 1 to the south and 1 to the north.

(plus Steeles via TTC)

That would do a lot to give people options, but every 24 hour route must be every 30M or better (at worst) at all times; and every 15M or better in rush hours, ideally more frequent than that.

Last edited:
Sure, but York Region should be be running at least a dozen 24 hour routes to have a viable network.

Two services in isolation has very limited utility.

I would argue, for a start, for 9 N-S services, Yonge, and 4 to the east and 3 to the west.

Along with 3 E-W services, Hwy 7, and 1 to the south and 1 to the north.

(plus Steeles via TTC)

That would do a lot to give people options, but every 24 hour route must be every 30M or better (at worst) at all times; and every 15M or better in rush hours, ideally more frequent than that.
This is a great way to encourage people to drive rather than use transit.

This is a great way to encourage people to drive rather than use transit.
york region is mainly suburbs and apart from the core routes youre living in a dream world if you think any form of increased bus service would significantly move single homeowners to not drive.

Brampton has questions for you.
Brampton is 1 city... last time i heard york region is a conglomerate of 5 cities/towns ranging from dense city like yonge st to sparse like newmarket.
their geographical service area is many times larger than brampton yet their operating budget is the similar.

its like comparing operating trains in canada vs france...

Last edited:
Brampton is 1 city... last time i heard york region is a conglomerate of 5 cities/towns ranging from dense city like yonge st to sparse like newmarket.
their geographical service area is many times larger than brampton yet their operating budget is the similar.

its like comparing operating trains in canada vs france...

York region has a population of 1.1M vs Brampton at ~600,000;

York Region is promising funding to YRT that has no increases for inflation/population:

1723651180514.png

Brampton Transit has gross expenditures of 91M in 2024 more than 2.5x what York Region will spend, spread over less than 60% of the population.

Where exactly did you get the idea that YRT was getting a budget similar to BT? Its not even close.

Brampton Transit Budget: $151 per person

YRT Budget: $32 per person

Back