News   Jul 22, 2024
 868     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 514     0 

View from a Pride Float

casaguy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I did this last year as well... and in comparing these pics from last year's pics it seems the turnout for the parade was close to half of what it was last year.

Nonetheless, a very cool perspective. I highly recommend it if you ever get the opportunity to be on a float.

I felt that way too maybe 3/4th

For these type of things though the weather plays a big role.
From what I recall last year it was HOT and SUNNY ... correct me if I'm wrong.

Today there was a chance of rain all day and actually did sprinkle a bit off and on.

In other words pretty expected

The crowds for the parade were definitely not as deep as usual although the gatherings on and around Church Street was like in previous years, packed.

I was watching for you! I don't know how I missed you; when my friends got tired and wandered off, I walked up Yonge and then along Bloor looking for your float. I don't know how I missed it.

One of our forum members came to my place after the parade wearing one of your necklaces too.

:)

a couple of photos from a friend of mine.

pr001.jpg

pr002.jpg

pr003.jpg

pr004.jpg

pr005.jpg

I also noted the lack of people this time around. Maybe Pride is losing its appeal. I know I didn't really watch the parade, we sat in a restaurant and ate and kinda glanced at it from there.

The parade was broadcast live on 3 giant video screens set up along Church St for the many people who didn't venture over to Yonge. We spent most of Sunday in beer gardens - having seen the parade for so many years, it is of little interest to us anymore.

Pride 2008 Celebrations Observations and Recommendations

From my observations I thought this was the largest and best Pride Celebrations to date.

This was my 4th year marching in the parade and I thought the crowds were noticeably larger than in years past. This was especially true as the crowds continued along Gerrard Street, which it did not in the past.

I also felt there were a greater number of American tourists in town, and I understand that the downtown Hotels were doing better in comparison to last year.

I really enjoyed the Pink TTC Bus and was proud to see the Canadian Forces contingent. I thought Dancap Productions scored a major marketing coup, as their free water guns were the most sought after item during the entire weekend.

I also have to give kudos to the organizers for decentralizing the celebrations away from Church Street, and making use of the parkettes and lots east of Yonge Street. The permanent addition of the Wellesley Concert Stage is a huge success.

There is always room for improvement. I personally would like to see the organizers take another shot at extending the Parade to Yonge-Dundas Square as it did 2-3 years ago. I understand that the extension was axed because it pulled too many people away from Church Street. One idea may be to start the parade in reverse, and begin at Yonge-Dundas and work its way up to Bloor Street.

I also noticed the lack of any official pride decorations along Church Street. I would also like to see the organizers work with the local BIA’s at dressing up Yonge, Bloor and Church Streets with “Happy Pride” street banners. I was at Sydney, Australia’s pride celebrations last year and their entire parade route, a good chunk of the CBD and even the Airport arrivals hall had huge street banners wishing everyone a Happy Mardi Gras!

Finally, I understand that Pride Toronto have in the past tried to get a permit to launch fireworks off the top of buildings along Church Street. The 519 and Maple Leaf Gardens would be ideal sites. I believe this would be a hot addition and I would like to see the city work with the organizers to make it happen!

Louroz

I've been going a few years, and I found the parade to be very well attended this year. At the same time, the whole event is becoming a little tired. Maybe next year would be a good chance to change things up a little bit.

Back