2.2K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 4.1K     5 

Video question for UT's techies...

D

Darkstar416

I hope one of the techies on here might be able to give me some advice regarding a personal matter (although I'm sure it'll come in handy WRT to the forum as well)...

I took a video using my digital camera at a party a few week's back. The video is really funny and I'd love to load it up on Photobucket in order to share with some friends. The video runs a little over a minute, but it's size is 107MB (which is slightly more than the 100MB that PhotoBucket and YouTube allows). Therefore I figure I either need to compress or edit the video a bit. So I've tried downloading some software to enable me to do this, but everything so far has confused me majorly. Can anyone on here suggest an easy way to either edit/compress a video so it'll fit on PhotoBucket and/or YouTube?

Thanks so much in advance!

Windows Movie Maker, which is standard for XP, will let you specify how big or small you want to save your video.

You should be able to find it under Start > All Programs > Accessories.

Have you tried uploading it to YouTube? I've tried uploading videos that are about 101-2MB in size to YouTube and it worked.

Get a Mac. It comes loaded with IMovie which lets you do everthing easily. Come by the office and I can show you or even help you edit it.

Thanks for all the advice!

Shmoopie, I'll try Windows Movie Maker tonight. It must be on my PC as I have XP.

Wylie, I just assumed I couldn't load it up on YouTube as the size is larger than it says is loadable, but I'll try it anyway tonight and see what happens.

Ed, I can operate a Mac about as well as I can speak French. Haha, if I get desperate though, I may just be at your office in a few days!

His point is buying a Mac because you want to compress one video is like buying a car on a two-day business trip rather than renting.

Convert it to a Windows Media Video. You can do that with Movie Maker or Windows Media Encoder free from the Microsoft website.
Or if you just want to convert it with no editing, I suggest to convert it to Divx. You can get the conversion program here: www.divx.com/divx/windows/converter/

No offense to you mac users, but Windows is very capable of doing this kind of conversion. Why would somebody spend $1000 for something this simple?

I agree. Suggesting that only a Mac could make modifying video relatively easy is disingenuous.

Why not buy a mac? I was a Windows user for many years (Win 98 and back), and I learned to handle it mostly due to the endless string of problems that had to be fixed. I switched to a mac not because of one issue, but because I found OSX far more stable, easier to work with and relatively inexpensive for what I got. That, of course, is my choice; and obviously I don't believe that everyone must choose the same thing.

As for Windows, there is a Dell with XP in the other room. The email is presently inaccesible after the latest service pack download. One thing is for sure with Windows, it keeps one busy.

^ OSX is pretty much linux. Why not buy a PC and install a *nix OS on it and have the ability to perform hardware upgrades, changes etc at will and at a cheaper price overall?

Back