News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 465     0 

VIA Rail

I'm going to put this here; as this announcement seems likely to involve VIA rail in some fashion.

The Federal Transport minister will be in Windsor, tomorrow to say something about improving passenger rail service in south-western Ontario.

I'm a bit confused. Wouldn't they have 3.5 hrs to get from Toronto to Montreal? You're inferred 4:13 travel time would make for some really crazy departure times. So I wonder if it's 4:13 regularly and the morning and evening expresses use the bypass to get down to 3.5 hrs?

I have no experience on this. But I'm wondering if an express, very limited stop train, using a bypass, can get from Toronto to Montreal in 3.5 hrs? If we assume a design speed of 110 mph, that would require achieving an average of about 80% of design speed. Is that doable if they only have 4 stops en route (Scarborough, Peterborough, Smiths Falls, Dorval)?

A back of the envelope look says, no. I can only get to 3:53 by dead reckoning.

Here's my data, based on the HFR route to Smiths Falls and the Winchester Sub to Dorion, thence the CN route to Central Station.

It's generic in that I did not attempt to correlate it to any particular real track features. I simply assumed that a train would mostly run at top speed but have to stop some small number of times.... for meets, scheduled stops, whatever. Similarly, I assumed that the train would have to slow down a certain number of times - for meets, slow orders, curves, through urban areas, whatever. I assumed there would be stops at Dorval and Kennedy. I assumed that the trip time between Dorval and Central, and between Kennedy and Toronto Union, would resemble today's timings because of track limitations and the need to interleave with GO trains. I ignored the likelihood of a very slow connection in Agincourt between the GO line and the CP line.

The route length is 341 miles. At 110 mph, the "perfect possible" trip time is therefore a bit over 3 hours. When one adds in the added time taken for deceleration, acceleration, dwell, and slow running, the number of miles covered at top speed is somewhat less, and the time taken at less than top speed adds to the three hours significantly.

A real life schedule would be padded further. Plus, this model is very optimistic about curve reduction.

This look is obviously imprecise, but it validates that 4:13 might be possible, and that 3:30 certainly ain't.

Feel free to kick the tires and suggest more credible parameters.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 1.54.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 1.55.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 1.55.12 PM.png

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused. Wouldn't they have 3.5 hrs to get from Toronto to Montreal? You're inferred 4:13 travel time would make for some really crazy departure times. So I wonder if it's 4:13 regularly and the morning and evening expresses use the bypass to get down to 3.5 hrs?
You are right, it’s my maths which didn’t work out: With a travel time of 4h13s, we would have to depart well before 5am to arrive before 9am…

I'm going to put this here; as this announcement seems likely to involve VIA rail in some fashion.

The Federal Transport minister will be in Windsor, tomorrow to say something about improving passenger rail service in south-western Ontario.

Glad the Minister is getting on the train practically a full day in advance so he won’t be late LOL.

Glad the Minister is getting on the train practically a full day in advance so he won’t be late LOL.

Even if train #71 (i.e. the first train in the morning) was on time tomorrow morning, he would still arrive 8 minutes late for his 11am announcement at the station.

Flying would not be an alternative either, as the first plane of the day from Toronto lands in Windsor at 10:40…

Even if train #71 (i.e. the first train in the morning) was on time tomorrow morning, he would still arrive 8 minutes late for his 11am announcement at the station.

Flying would not be an alternative either, as the first plane of the day from Toronto lands in Windsor at 10:40…
I know I know, I’m just teasing.

I know I know, I’m just teasing.
No worries, but it does make me wonder why they couldn’t find a time at the station (considering it only sees four inbound and as many outbound trains), where you don’t risk having dozens of confused travellers walk through your makeshift press event…

I hope it's another study.

VIA/Amtrak will start running Toronto-Chicago trains through Windsor/Detroit compare to the Port Huron/Sarina Route twice a day in each direction as an HSR

Press Release for today's announcement:

Its Del Duca worthy..............

Advisors, studies and round tables ending in a report at the end of 2023, which may, or may not recommend extending the HFR project to Windsor.

1661872372415.png

Press Release for today's announcement:

Its Del Duca worthy..............

Advisors, studies and round tables ending in a report at the end of 2023, which may, or may not recommend extending the HFR project to Windsor.

View attachment 423919
Ah yes, studies, experts, reports.

Back