News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 432     0 

VIA Rail

Why does it matter what Ford does? VIA is a federal department.

This is in response to the PROVINCIAL high speed rail plan in Ontario. I realize this is not the thread for that, however its topical because the Ontario government mentioned (without any confirmation) that VIA could potentially take over the project.

There’s nothing in today’s news that would suggest that we can actually apply this new policy in Canada anytime soon, but...
in the US, the Federal Railroad Administration just announced new regulations for high speed trains which, by extension to Canada, would open the doors for some of the fleet acquisitions and track standards that have fuelled a lot of debate here on UT, among other places.

- Paul
The increase in Tier 2 maximum speed is interesting and may have near-term impact. Amtrak have been doing some Acela testing above 150mph in New Jersey.

This is in response to the PROVINCIAL high speed rail plan in Ontario. I realize this is not the thread for that, however its topical because the Ontario government mentioned (without any confirmation) that VIA could potentially take over the project.

I thought it was already a VIA project.

I thought this was in connection to the HFR to Montreal.

Sigh. No. If you read this article, you would see that it mentioned VIA possibly replacing the Ontario governments high speed rail proposal.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4685105/ontario-high-speed-rail-toronto-windsor/

(Ontario) Progressive Conservatives say they’re expanding the scope of their studies to determine if other options, such as increased Via Rail service,

Hence why people are discussing the High Speed Rail proposal by the province, in a VIA forum.

Got it?

Track ownership is a far higher barrier to high speed rail in Canada than equipment rules

Track ownership is easy once money has been raised. Raising money is the barrier.

The new FRA rules improve the performance envelope that can be achieved at a moderate investment.....track design, permissible maximum speeds, grade separation. and impact cost/variety of equipment choices.... so better value for same cost....And also improved marketability (revenue). So it’s more than just giving UT members more potential equipment models to dream about.

Nonetheless, the new rules might improve the numbers in the BCA, but a potential investor would probably still see the overall risk as being the same. Which gets us back to the raising money thing.

- Paul

VIA will return to Churchill on December 4th. Press release below from the Town and VIA's version here (it includes the schedule).

46884214_2162767950447209_332871115175100416_n.jpg

Last edited:
if can con requirements can be eliminated from train orders, the orders will get a lot cheaper. That article is mainly complaining about the lack of can con requirements, but IMO the price premiums are not worth it. I remember reading somewhere that can con requirements often add 30%+ to the price tag.

Back