News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 448     0 

VIA Rail

CIB ‘actively engaged’ in 10 projects: Lavallee
https://canada.constructconnect.com.../11/cib-actively-engaged-10-projects-lavallee

So who wants to guess what the other 10 projects are?

Just map out ridings where Liberals stand to gain from infrastructure investment.

I'm feeling cynical because the CIB has not shown itself to be anything but a tool. Funding REM showed that. I refuse to give them the benefit of the doubt until they actually deliver something worthwhile.

From the article about CIB:

Another speaker at the conference, Joe Mancinelli, an international vice-president with the Labourers’ International Union of North America, indicated LIUNA had spoken to CIB officials and was interested in investing in transportation infrastructure for Toronto, including subways and major new access roads to the downtown, possibly via tunnels.

That last part is kind of ominous. Likely nothing more than talk, but with who's in the premier's office at the moment, you never know.

From the article about CIB:

That last part is kind of ominous. Likely nothing more than talk, but with who's in the premier's office at the moment, you never know.

They would have to be toll road tunnels - which I admit that I wouldn't be totally opposed to, at least at a high level. If they charged 407 style tolls you wouldn't see huge additional volumes, but it would be effective for high value transport.

They would have to be toll road tunnels - which I admit that I wouldn't be totally opposed to, at least at a high level. If they charged 407 style tolls you wouldn't see huge additional volumes, but it would be effective for high value transport.
And since Ford is more than likely to fund highways over transit, tolls would even the tax load. Bear in mind also that the TTC has the highest farebox return of any transit agency in North Am, and GO is second. Unfair? Absolutely, but flip that over. It means that Enterprise can look at that, and say: (gist) 'There's real opportunity to invest in that system, run it far better, and see a suitable and consistent return for that investment, let alone grow it'.

The bottom line is that Toronto, Ontario and to a lesser extent Canada are well behind the rest of the developed world, and government alone isn't going to push this forward.

There's a very real need for this, and Enterprise has answers, the proof being in nations like Australia. Do I prefer government owned and run systems? You betcha....but the progress we badly need ain't going to happen at this rate.

And the Feds can shepherd this investment in ways that barely involve the province save for minority say. What's the Province going to do? Say no?

Last edited:
Any environmental assessment should already have included such options, along with a "do nothing" option.

If the existing study didn't include that, then this is the correct decision.

My personal suspicion is that Doug Ford is once again lying.

An underground toll road could still have significant impacts. Even with its sky high tolls, the 407 has very high traffic volumes, and a new highway downtown would be the same. It would induce new traffic and make air quality worse (the worst air quality in the GTA tends to be along the highways). Interchanges would impact the city fabric; even relatively benign ramps like at Allen & Eglinton put a big hole into that streetscape. And it would make traffic problems worse on local roads that feed the new highway.

There’s nothing in today’s news that would suggest that we can actually apply this new policy in Canada anytime soon, but...
in the US, the Federal Railroad Administration just announced new regulations for high speed trains which, by extension to Canada, would open the doors for some of the fleet acquisitions and track standards that have fuelled a lot of debate here on UT, among other places.

- Paul

Back