News   Jul 22, 2024
 556     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 460     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 500     0 

UT's Annual Holiday Forum Meet - Sunday, December 28th, 2008.

Sorry we couldn't attend, we had an unexpected visitor arrive from the UK and were busy with her for the weekend...

It was great to meet both Mustapha and yyzguy for the first time! Our small but enthusiastic group also included ShonTron, BuildTO, scarberiankhatru, CDL.TO, ganjavih, unimaginative2, Archivist, and M II A II R II K.

Mustapha brought along some Viewmaster reels of Toronto and Niagara Falls in the 50s or 60s. They were very cool, and I think we'll encourage people to bring more items of interest in the future.

We know that meeting this Sunday night was not possible for everybody, and that we'll never be able to find a time that suits absolutely everyone, but that we might as well try another meet sometime soon. To that end we'll float a couple of potential dates in the near future because, well, we'd like to meet more of you!

We always end up at a different place, but yeah, they've always been pubs. No-one has yet asked us to consider a coffee shop for example, but I am sure we would if a pub were a problem for someone. Got a favourite coffee shop or pub to suggest for another meet? Wherever we go, we need a place that's big enough, cheap enough, nice enough, and handy to transit.

A few photos...

Urban1.jpg

Urban2.jpg

Urban3.jpg

We always end up at a different place, but yeah, they've always been pubs. No-one has yet asked us to consider a coffee shop for example, but I am sure we would if a pub were a problem for someone. Got a favourite coffee shop or pub to suggest for another meet? Wherever we go, we need a place that's big enough, cheap enough, nice enough, and handy to transit.

I suppose pubs would be a technical problem for the underaged. However, as a non-drinker, I suspect that there's more to a decent pub than alcohol...

Of the UT forum events I've been to, I prefer walkabout mets, or a party in a home. At the bar/restaurant meets people tend to sit in one place and not circulate much. If it's a large group you sometimes don't get to chat to the person at the far end of the table. Alcohol can liven people up, but it can also root them to one seat for the whole evening. Then there's the problem of "surroundsound" coming from the rest of the patrons. When about ten of us went to C5 for lunch, the acoustics were so dreadful it was impossible to hear anyone sitting two seats away. Perhaps a place with a round table would help with proximity? But how many bars are like that?

Perhaps a place with a round table would help with proximity? But how many bars are like that?

well, if they had round tables they wouldn't be called bars, would they? they'd be called circles. ;)

I'm still here, Billy. I've been too busy for the forum lately. I've spent the last few weeks searching the internet for information about Urban Victoria. You'd think someone would start up a forum or something...

:D

We've discussed the problem of the most suitable venue before. The house party is a nice idea, but the general consensus was that most of us feel awkward about opening our homes to complete strangers; as well, strangers are probably more likely to come to a more neutral space to meet people for the first time.

I've been in another group that has tried the coffee shop alternative. It doesn't work. Coffee shops are not designed for large groups sitting together, so it is more difficult to get seating together, and you can't make reservations. Also, most coffee shops are not as comfortable as most pubs.

Walkabouts/site visits are nice, but make it harder for people to come and go as they please.

A Chinese restaurant would be ideal if you want a round table, but for that we would require firm commitments from all who plan to attend, and experience tells me people - especially newcomers - prefer to be able to decide at the last minute.

As for the Madison, it was not a great venue. Too crowded and noisy. Although we got there early when it was not even half full, we could not find a space big enough. After one opened up (just in time), we were pretty crammed in and if Darkstar and SimplyDan had not had to cancel, there would not have been enough room for all of us.

That said, it was a nice meet. I regret that I didn't have much of a chance to talk to some people, and I didn't even get to meet M II A II R II K. It was nice to see both new faces and old, though.

For those who don't know, we do organize other types of meets. But the pub meet has become a tradition. Next time, we will:
- choose a better venue
- make a reservation (!)
- devise a system for newcomers to recognize the group

Cheers!

How about trying to choose a venue in a historic building in keeping with our architectural interests. The Flatiron building, the building housing the Irish Embassy are a few examples.

It's funny that this topic is in "forum issues" :p

I agree with trying to use a venue that is of architectual significance. What about Richtree Market at BCE place?

Back