233     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 991     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

Crowded Schedule !!!!

:)

By the end of the coming week, I'll have attended all of these, in the space of 9 days in Toronto:

- the Royal Conservatory Orchestra at gorgeous Koerner Hall, conduced by Johannes Debus
(the evening was so amazing that it deserves its own review, and the hall has left me gobsmacked)

- David Clayton Thomas, backed by members of the TSO, at Massey Hall (tonight) - couldn't resist it !!!

- opera Otello (Tuesday the 16th)

- Verdi's Requeim with TSO at RTH, conducted by my favourite conductor on earth, Gianandrea Noseda.

- and there's more, too!

Later on I'll post my review of the first concert I've attended at Koerner, right now I am still speechless.

I saw Otello last night. It had everything Carmen lacked. Excellent stuff. Wait until you hear those big, boisterous voices from the leads. Wow.

Interestingly, it got less people on their feet than Carmen did... I can't really understand that.

Excellent, indeed! You'll be happy to know that the audience at the Saturday performance didn't hesitate getting up on their hind legs; I was one of them! Great big yummy opera! Loved it!:)

Clifton Forbis sounded a bit wobby at first but soon settled in and was magnificent as Otello, going from strength to strength throughout the evening. It struck me as near-perfect casting - the intersection of role, voice, and career trajectory. Tiziana Caruso ( Desdemona ) also quickly found her stride, and Scott Hendricks ( Iago ) was on right from the start. Those three, I thought, were a well matched ensemble. The chorus, and the orchestra under maestro Olmi, were superb.

The sets were subdued, and gloriously colourful when the Venetian dignitaries arrived in Act III, and that made sense to me. The craggy rocks worked well enough as symbol, and well enough as a practical staging area, I thought.

I so agree Shocker. After the performance I was trying to imagine where the negative reviews were coming from. I was also a bit surprised by the subdued audience response.

This was my first time seeing Otello performed live and it had me from the first moment.

Sorry to hear about your seating issues. Fortunately, I appear to be surrounded by a group of gracious and well-behaved subscribers.

Next up is Carmen.

I spent Sunday afternoon at Roy Thompson letting Karina Govin serande me with her beautiful voice. The crowd gave her about 3 encores.

It was a wonderful and intimate performance.

I spent Sunday afternoon at Roy Thompson letting Karina Govin serande me with her beautiful voice. The crowd gave her about 3 encores.

It was a wonderful and intimate performance.

OMG! I was there too! What a lovely way to spend Valentine's Day. An added bonus; our cheap seats were moved to the first balcony. They said something about making it a "more intimate" experience; I took that to mean they couldn't sell enough season's tickets to warrant keeping the upper balcony open. So, it was a double-winner day; great seats and a beautiful concert. Loved it!:eek:

Royal Conservatory Orchestra (Debus)-Koerner Hall, Friday Feb 12

I went to hear the student orchestra, The Royal Conservatory Orchestra, conducted by Johannes Debus, on Friday February 12 (Koerner Hall)

First, whatever I have to say about Koerner Hall has probably already been said. The hall is a classically-proportioned hall, recital size (1100 seats) with pristine acoustics. The word pristine can have positive and negative connotations, and in this case I am using the word positively. With Koerner being such an intimate (not to say small) hall, no musical notes are wasted. The sound is at once extremely clear, clean, not overly warm; there is just enough warmth there to give the overall sound some "oomph". Being a shoebox hall, it never over- or under-emphasized any sections of the orchestra. The rest has been said already in another thread. In short, what a beautifully finished recital hall and what amazing spatial presentation of the orchestral palette of sounds.

What conductor Johannes Debus was able to get out of this student orchestra was nothing less than phenomenal. The evening started with a smaller orchestra, playing Prokofiev’s first (“The Classicalâ€) Symphony. This was the evening’s only effort that smacked of “studentâ€, and it served as an excellent warm-up. The professionalism exhibited in the second piece on the bill blew everyone away – the orchestra and two daunting 19-year-old pianists (Lucas Porter and Nicholas King) made light work of the Poulenc concerto for two pianos in D Minor (Op 61). The support from the orchestra was near perfect and the young guys on the keyboards were both mindboggling talents.

After intermission, a breathtaking young mezzo, Wallis Guinta, served up a fantastic vocal treat, some songs from Ravel’s Scheherazade suite. I couldn’t believe my ears, she’s got it all. We’ll be hearing more from her I am sure. The expanded orchestra backed her perfectly.

Finally, the expanded orchestra got into Stravinsky’s Firebird Suite (1945 version) and showed what they could do with a meaty challenge. Debus really got the best from the RCO. After the big orchestral swells and climaxes to end The Firebird, several standing ovations. The future of our orchestral life is looking good.

In Koerner, one thing that impressed me enormously is that the stage can be expanded to suit small and large orchestras alike (i.e. the front third of the stage can be raised or lowered). In general I am left with the impression that a large orchestra (as used in the second half of this program) sounds just a bit confined in such an intimate hall. This may be very subjective, there are people who want the up-close sound that I heard, while I was wishing I was at the back of the hall where the sound would, in my theory, “blend†to some degree. I was exactly halfway between the front and back walls of the hall, in centre orchestra seating. I’ll go again to hear the RCO if I get the chance, this was an excellent experience.

I so agree Shocker. After the performance I was trying to imagine where the negative reviews were coming from. I was also a bit surprised by the subdued audience response.

Once or twice I've experienced how, at the end of a very good performance, an audience can be completely silent for some time - it's an almosted stunned response - while at other times there's instant applause. I'm not sure what determines the difference. And if I don't think something merits a standing ovation I don't get up no matter how frenzied the response is around me.

I spent Sunday afternoon at Roy Thompson letting Karina Govin serande me with her beautiful voice. The crowd gave her about 3 encores. It was a wonderful and intimate performance.

I've heard her twice - at an Aldeburgh Connection concert a few years ago ( when she did Ae Fond Kiss as an encore ) and at the RTH opera in concert Magic Flute a while back. I think Gauvin's our best!

Otello (Verdi) by Canadian Opera Company, Four Seasons Centre, Feb 16th

We loved it!

My comments on the voices, acting abilities, staging, etc., would echo those already expressed in this thread. The chorus was up to their usual wonderful standard, and the orchestra was hot under Paolo Olmi. Great music making all around.

Prior to seeing Otello, I was most of all anticipating the drama at the end, and this production came through for me, in a big way. Great staging.

As we left the opera, I was thinking about how Toronto has grown a wonderful opera company. We will renew for next year, to be certain. I might like to move back from Row A in Ring 4 – I require more knee room!

A final thought (although why I am bothering, I don’t know): I re-read Robert Everett-Green’s criticisms just now, for the heck of it. I can’t go along with any of his points. I wonder if the poor fella ever lives a happy day. I think I’ll disregard this critic.

.. must run !!!

Last edited:
Last night at the Koerner:

Absolute Ensemble from the States, a 15 piece classical/jazz/world/pop/fusion group conducted by Kristjan Järvi, taking Bach's keyboard works as a starting point. A 7 person wind section, 5 strings, drums, keyboard, guitar, some recorded sounds. With them, American pianist Simone Dinnerstein. Their first concert in Canada.

I sat in the third row of the first balcony, below the cusp of the overhang. After intermission I moved half way along the balcony arm. I agree with TonyV that the sound is wonderful, clear and not overly warm. Though, as noted at the Nuit Blanche opening, I think that being below an overhang diminishes the sound's crispness. The house was about 60% full. For 20 bucks it was pretty good, but maddeningly uneven.

There were two problems. The volume of the band overpowered the pianist for much of the evening - we saw her hands touching the keys but the sound was lost to us unless she was unaccompanied - which was a major frustration. And, though the two pieces in the first half ( one written by the guitarist ) were inventive enough and embodied the spirit of Bach, the fall-back use of the piano to quote the familiar, classical Bach came across almost as parody and interrupted the flow that had been set up. The second half, after the intermission, was looser and much more fun. It opened with the wonderful, bustling Undertow ( based on Three Part Inventions: no. 9 in F Minor ) written by keyboardist Matt Herskowitz with an almost big band era feel to it, and Raga on a Theme by Bach by Mike Block who used his cello to make sitar-like sounds. The third piece was also engrossing. Several encores followed. I left happy, but thinking the evening could have been so much more.

The Koerner's moulded wooden ceiling is fascinating/scary - great curvy lip-like ribbons bored through with circular orifices and punctuated by protuding knobby bits.

Verdi Requiem - TSO / Noseda, Feb 20, 2010

Toronto Sympony Orchestra, conducted by Gianandrea Noseda
With Toronto Mendelssohn Choir
and soloists:
Michele Crider (sop)
Daniela Barcellona (mezzo)
Maxim Aksenov (tenor)
Roberto Candiuzzi (bass)

On Saturday February 20, the TSO performed Verdi’s Requiem under one of Toronto’s favourite guest conductors, the wonderful Gianandrea Noseda. The presentation has cast quite a spell on me, and in many ways I am still there in the concert hall a day after the concert.

By way of explaining myself, Verdi’s Requiem is my all time favourite composition, period. As it is rather expensive to put on, it is not performed very frequently. To be fair, the dramatic demands of the piece dictate that only a conductor with true operatic abilities should present it.

The performance I attended will probably end up being the one TSO performance I’ll remember for ever – it stands very high above other things that have come off the concert stage at Roy Thomson Hall, no matter what group, orchestra, what conductor – this was an awesome performance by all forces involved.

The soprano, Michele Crider, is noteworty. The soprano, of course, gets the privilege of “signing†this piece, in the Libera Me (at the end). Crider did this just beautifully, she obviously owns the part. Of equal note was an extremely handsome tenor voice, up-and-coming Maxim Aksenov. What a voice! (And he is total doll to look at). No slight to the other two soloists, so don’t get the "were also there†impression, they were huge talents as well. It appears to me that Noseda hand-picked each soloist for their vocal gifts.

All things considered on this Sunday, I start to wonder what the TSO would be like if they had a conductor like Noseda all the time. His gifts are just huge and his abilities are hard to comprehend. The last concert that caught me off guard like this was so long ago, Tennstedt presented Mahler 1st .. in the Massey Hall era, and my ears were much younger and therefore rather impressionable.

A final thought about this piece: that Verdi would set the latin mass to music at all is quite fascinating to me, as it has been noted that the composer himself was not particularly religious. More amazing when I realize that so many Verdi operas have religious symbolism in them. I myself am not religious … but I certainly can feel the passion in the Requiem. It’s such a beauty, with absolutely delicious dramatic shifts. Verdi was a drama queen, totally.

I agree. The spirit of art communicates across cultural divides and across time. As someone who isn't religious, I can be moved by the art of the St. Mathew Passion without having to be a practising Christian. It's the same with, for instance, the AGO's European gallery of 17th century religious paintings. Most people don't have the cultural conditioning to unlock the meaning of the bible stories depicted by Tournier's The Judgement of Solomon, Preti's St. Paul The Hermit, or Giordano's The Toilet of Bathsheba ... but I don't think it matters that they don't hold the key because aesthetics carry the paintings.

On Friday, my pal Libby took me to hear Tafelmusik at Trinity St. Paul's. Sometimes, when her husband's away on business, I'm her faux hubby for such outings. Mostly, it's good to hear old pieces done in new ways, but occasionally it's good to hear old pieces done exactly as you've heard them done before. This was one of those evenings, and that's what we got with Eine kleine Nachtmusik and the Concerto no. 20 for fortepiano in D Minor ... and Haydn's Symphony no. 97 in C Major. Mind you, the average audience member was about 300 years old, so many of them may have thought they were hearing these pieces for the first time. The famous Steve Munro, young and lovely as ever, sat in the second row.

Saturday, to Carmen. The vile, belchy, snuffly creature was there again, but this time his wife/parole officer/ keeper sat between us. Still, I could hear his constant wheezing throughout the first act, and this time he was pawing this unfortunate woman's knees and scratching himself ... so I moved at intermission to the row behind. Having ascertained from her that this oddball duo are seeing the rest of the season, I'm asking the COC next week for a different seat for the final three operas.

The new Carmen was very good, though I can't compare her with the first one. Best of all, I thought, was Bryan Hymel as Don Jose - his transition from wussy mommie's boy to obsessive stalker made perfect sense. Jessica Muirhead handled her big aria beautifully. Paul Gay as Escamillio was a real letdown - I thought he was out of his depth. The acoustics of that place are unforgiving and demand better singing than that. The staging - ugh! The sets were exactly the same as the last time they presented it, I think.

Today, with three friends to the Art Gallery of Hamilton to see the photographic exhibition Posing Beauty in African American Culture, on it's only Canadian stop. Also, in an adjacent gallery, a little gem of a photographic show called End of the American Road - images of small town America by Terence Byrnes. Some very cool black dudes in natty street attire in the first show, and some extraordinary poor and mostly white people in Springfield Ohio in the second.

What an evening, at the end of the Rotterdam Philharmonic's North American tour.

Yannick's choices can be quirky. I've heard him conduct major and popular works such as Shostakovich's Symphony No. 5, Ravel's Bolero, Bach's Christmas Oratorio, the St. Mathew and St. John Passions, and as accompanist to Alexander Dobson in Schubert's Die Winterreise. On the other hand, three years ago with the TSO, I've heard Scriabin's overblown Symphony No. 3 - a piece of music I hope never to hear again, played as magnificently as it could possibly be played. One listened ... well ... in awe. After last night's intermission we got the huge Ein Heldenleben ( A Hero's Life ) by Richard Strauss and my reaction was much the same. Strauss described his talent as "I may not be a first-rate composer, but I am a first-class second-rate composer" and I believe that the Rotterdam Philharmonic, in giving it their best shot, proved him right. Again ... awe. And as a fine encore at the end of the evening, they did the last movement of Ravel's Mother Goose Suite.

The first half began with Olivier Messiaen's Les offrandes oubliées. Messiaen, like Scriabin, influenced better known composers and, also like Scriabin, experienced synesthesia ( when the Gryphon Trio performed one of his compositions at Luminato in 2008 it included a visual transposition of the music into colours ). Perhaps there are colourful, hidden links between Yannick's musical choices? The Messiaen, a short piece, I enjoyed.

Ravel's Piano Concert for the Left Hand followed, and I thought it the best of the evening. Jean-Yves Thibaudet, who looked as if he was either wearing very long shoes or has large feet, was a bit noisy with his pedaling at first but soon quietened down. I'd heard it performed twice before and this was by far the best - the partnership and balance between orchestra and soloist, the energy, the martial air. And we got an exquisite encore - the Brahms Intermezzo in A before the intermission.

I'd say the house was close to 90%. The concert was enthusiastically received. Heading out of the Hall, later, I overheard one of the musicians telling a friend, " We felt it was the best concert, and the best audience, of the tour. Better than New York." But of course we've heard Yannick conduct here on more occasions than the New Yorkers have

TSO - conducted by Robin Ticciati

The current week's TSO offering is conducted by Brit up and coming superstar in the making, Robin Ticciati.

The program, for some reason, isn't selling well. If you have a free Saturday night and you love to hear great conducting, you should consider going.

The program has a Sibelius suite, the Grieg piano concerto (Lars Vogt, a keyboard marvel), a fabulous Lindberg piece, and Elgar's Enigma Variations.

On Ticciati: there are conductors who can be taught, and there are those who are born to conduct -- Ticciati is the latter. He's in his late twenties, has conducted since age 15, and was the youngest conductor ever to take the pit at La Scala.

The music making was brilliant. Never forced, always natural, and this conductor has a mature enough approach to know how to satisfy the dynamic demands of all the pieces he chose. There were no standouts. The Sibelius suite grabbed us from the very beginning with its string beauty and brilliant work throughout - and so the quality remained for the entire evening. The Elgar take was the best I've ever heard.

You'll be hearing a lot about this conductor in the future. This is his North American premier, I understand ... go hear him, he's brilliant.

The hall had noisy schoolchildren - lots of them. I hope that doesn't happen on Saturday. Otherwise the audience was beautifully behaved.

Sorry I have had no time to post lately, life is hugely demanding these days.

Last edited:
Tell me about it. I've been in training half the week for the new "system" at work - our little Ninja group is now on the loose applying what little we know and creating as much chaos as possible.

Thanks for the review, Tony.

Back