News   Jul 16, 2024
 389     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 514     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 636     2 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

John Coulbourn's review of the second cast in the Toronto Sun:

If you've caught the Canadian Opera Company's most recent staging of Madama Butterfly, which opened at the Four Seasons Centre last week, chances are you've been struck by how well the production and the house have been blended.

Were designer Susan Benson and director Brian Macdonald possessed of a bit of prescience back in 1990 when they designed this work that seems to fit so perfectly here?

Or did architect Jack Diamond perhaps have this specific work, with its elegantly muted colours and its spare, almost simple, design foremost in his mind when he put the finishing touches on the elegant new opera hall he designed as the beating heart of the Four Seasons Centre?

The answer, of course, becomes obvious as the opera itself unfolds.

Both production and hall were created with the same single purpose in mind -- to showcase the artistry of the performers on the stage. And when three such stellar minds bend themselves to the same purpose, even though their tasks might be hugely varied, it is no mere accident that their ideas mesh with such impressive results, further fused here by the striking lighting of Michael Whitfield.

And while Tuesday's performance of Puccini's classic tale of love, heartbreak and death in Imperial Japan might have featured the company's second cast -- with 15 performances in its run, the COC has opted to double cast all of the major roles in the work -- there is certainly nothing second rate about any of them.

Individually and collectively, they make the most of a production and a hall that have been designed to showcase them at their very best.

In fact, while one suspects that the magnificent soprano Yannick-Muriel Noah may never be capable of playing the title role as the traditional tragic geisha we've come to expect, her gloriously compelling rendition of angst-driven passive aggressiveness could well set a new feminist standard for this old classic, stopping, as it does, just short of Medean madness.

But, while Noah certainly lights up the place, she's not the only treasure in this talented cast.

As Lt. Pinkerton, the amorous American officer who loves, then leaves, Butterfly in an act of callously amorous imperialism, tenor Bryan Hymel makes an impressive company debut, bringing both a physical and a vocal swagger -- each equally fearless -- to a role that becomes increasingly less flattering the better it is performed.

There is also superb work from baritone Brett Polegato as the American consul Sharpless, who lends not only a powerful voice but a strong sense of humanity and compassion as well to the role of a good man caught in the middle of a mess he didn't create.

In an extensive cast, there's strong work too from mezzo Anita Krause as the serving girl Suzuki, tenor John Kriter as the insinuating marriage broker, soprano Laura Albino as Pinkerton's wife and the opera's second (largely unsinging and unsung) tragic heroine, baritone Peter Barrett as Butterfly's suitor, and from the COC Chorus and the COC Orchestra, under the increasingly assured baton of Derek Bate.

Over the years, Madama Butterfly has become a COC audience favourite -- and small wonder, considering not only the soaring musicality of Puccini's score but the timeless understated elegance of Benson's design and Macdonald's staging as well.

And now that their production seems to be so perfectly fused with the hall in which it is presented, that popularity, one suspects, is going to do nothing but grow.

Jon Kaplan's review of the second cast in Now:

I can’t remember seeing a more impressive operatic mainstage debut than that of Yannick-Muriel Noah in the title role of the Canadian Opera Company’s (COC) Madama Butterfly.

A former member of the COC Ensemble, Noah’s become a major contest winner around the world and last year stepped into the part of Tosca for the COC when the scheduled soprano was ill. I didn’t see her in that part, and in fact have only caught her in smaller roles with the COC.

But here, leading the alternate cast in Puccini’s melodic tale of a Japanese geisha who weds the American naval officer Pinkerton only to have her heart broken by him, Noah establishes herself as a singer sure to have an international career.

Importantly, her success won’t rely just the quality of her voice, which is big but never feels pushed; the warm sound just seems to flow out effortlessly. No, she’s also a fine actor, and her Butterfly is a blend of detailed characterization and creamy voice.

In her hands, Butterfly is a believable teen – the character is 15 at the start of the show and 18 by its end – created without affected coyness, natural rather than over-acted. She’s playful revealing girlish enthusiasm and sometimes teenage petulance. This is a woman grounded in love, sustained by her belief that Pinkerton will one day return to her.

In fact, that belief is a kind of religious faith: her rendition of Un bel dì, the opera’s best-known aria, is a joyful vision, sung with wide-eyed ecstasy and full heart. When Butterfly’s world is destroyed at the end of the opera, she follows the course she must take with steely determination.

Working with director Brian Macdonald, Noah presents a Butterfly who, from the start, is isolated from her Japanese family and culture; she has no one else to turn to for support but Pinkerton, even though (as this production emphasizes) the cultural gap between the couple is large.

Several of the other central performers are also strong. As Pinkerton, Bryan Hymel has a large voice but never bellows, as some tenors do. He could be a little more sympathetic early on, but it’s hard to make the womanizing Pinkerton a really likable figure except in the love duet at the end of the first act, which he and Noah sing passionately under Derek Bate’s expansive conducting.

There’s more sympathy and a strong presence in Brett Polegato’s Sharpless, the American consul who warns Pinkerton not to toy with his young bride’s affections.

Anita Krause’s Suzuki, Butterfly’s servant, is well sung but doesn’t have as much of a dramatic presence as she might, and John Kriter as Goro, the marriage broker, could also be more sharply defined.

The design, by Susan Benson (set and costumes) and Michael Whitfield (lighting), is first rate, soft in tone and avoiding all the stereotyped cherry-blossom scenery that productions often rely on to create atmosphere.

Even if you’ve seen this COC production before, it’s worth catching again for Noah’s debut. You can say you saw her when.

Off now for dinner and TSO concert tonight. It's an all-Tchaikovsky affair conducted by Maxim Vengerov, formerly world's greatest violinist, now turned conductor. Alexander Toradze, the great bear, will there to pound a piano into submission. I will furnish a review Friday.

US - if by chance you're going tonight, please meet us outside L7 during intermission.

Cheers all ....

Last edited:
Not tonight, Josephine.

Nightingale on the 30th is my next opera, and good-old-reliable Dvorak's 9th is my next TSO on December 3rd.

But I want to hear a few things in the Big 'V' ( oops! Koerner Hall ) ... soon, so maybe we can make a date for that? Esprit orchestra, or fado, or Debus conducting for instance ... to name but a few of many choices. Please let me know what appeals to you.

-Shocker

A curious and very frustrating evening, as guest conductor Maxim Vengerov presided over the TSO last night. Vengerov was once hailed as the titan of the violin but repetitive-motion syndrome (or whatever they're calling it these days) has laid to waste his solo career.

My take on last night is that conducting ain't Vengerov's schtick, and I certainly didn't like watching him work.

The Shostakovich "Festive Overture" came off like clockwork. Great playing. As it turns out, the musicians were on autopilot.

In the Tchaikovsky piano concerto, this conductor not only looked lost, he was lost, and so, well, the whole opportunity to make a cohesive musical statement was, er, lost. Vengerov seemed to be taking his cues from the pianist, Toradze.

The 6th Symphony of Tchaikovsky went as it should, from a bunch of musicians who have played it a thousand times. Very well played, but I didn't feel the presence of a conductor except for one instance in the 5/4 waltz, when Vengerov slowed a theme down (considerably) and then came back up to speed. This move was too deliberate for my taste, but at least the conductor showed a presence at that point. Here I must mention that Messrs Oundjian and Dausgaard have turned in absolutely brilliant performances of this same piece during the last couple of seasons.

Effort and time may make Vengerov a conductor some day, but we shouldn't be paying to hear a trainee conductor over the TSO. I'll skip over 'im if he shows up here again. I think the players looked totally perplexed with him.

The Nightingale and Other Short Fables-COC

The Nightingale and Other Short Fables” is the most FUN I’ve ever had at an opera. Period. Robert LePage’s interpretation of Stravinsky’s take on a few Russian fables and Hans Christian Anderson’s tale is freakin magic. OMG! In the first act, shadow puppets and acrobats had me laughing and clapping with glee; there were ever so many clever things done! The Russians, in my opinion, are a dour people and really, some of their poems and stories are quite nasty things, made up of turnips, fleas, lice, bloodthirsty animals and singularly awful cats and goats. But the spell they cast! Having the orchestra on the stage and turning their pit into a pond, sets everything on its ear. This is fairytale land.

The second act is a little more serious but no less fantastical. “The Nightingale” must be seen and heard to be believed. (I never thought to see wet suits as part of opera regalia). The singers manipulate the puppets, and I couldn’t tell where one started and the other began. Such colour, everywhere! People in and out of water and the Nightingale herself, Olga Peretyatko, SOARED!

I don’t know if anyone remembers “Erwartung / Bluebeard’s Castle”, LePage’s opus from the early nineties...wait, if you saw it then you remember it. It’s one of the best opera productions I’ve ever seen anywhere, anytime. This is nowhere near as dark, nowhere near as dramatic, but just as memorable.

When you go, please look out for the “cross-eyed hare” tale in the first act; did he get his beer, or was he, as my friend insists, cooked? He was such a cute bunny I’d hate to think that was his fate, but then this is Russian.

http://www.coc.ca/PerformancesAndTickets/0910Season/TheNightingale.aspx

"Canadian Opera Company just added an encore peformance of The Nightingale & Other Short Fables on Nov. 2! Call us at 416-363-8231 or order online at

http://bit.ly/3z6vCN

:D

Thaks for the review, Benc7. Looking forward to this, eventually - had to rearrange my Nightingale date to fit in a whirlwind tour of Northamptonshire.

Any empty seats, or is it as popular as Butterfly ?

I can't wait to see this. If it's as good as hyped, I can't wait to rub it in the faces of those elitists who deem anything homegrown as laughably provincial.

Thaks for the review, Benc7. Looking forward to this, eventually - had to rearrange my Nightingale date to fit in a whirlwind tour of Northamptonshire.

Any empty seats, or is it as popular as Butterfly ?

According to the ticket web page, all performances are sold out save for the Nov.2nd date.

Are you back from your tour or are you preparing to go? I've not been to that area of England.

Roy G Biv, I'm SURE you'll love this, and then we can make a day of "elitist face-rubbing". I have my paper and charcoal ready!:)

And please, gentlemen, remember to keep an ear out for that beer-drinking rabbit and let me know his fate. Thanks!

â€The Nightingale and Other Short Fables†is the most FUN I’ve ever had at an opera. Period. Robert LePage’s interpretation of Stravinsky’s take on a few Russian fables and Hans Christian Anderson’s tale is freakin magic. OMG! In the first act, shadow puppets and acrobats had me laughing and clapping with glee; there were ever so many clever things done! The Russians, in my opinion, are a dour people and really, some of their poems and stories are quite nasty things, made up of turnips, fleas, lice, bloodthirsty animals and singularly awful cats and goats. But the spell they cast! Having the orchestra on the stage and turning their pit into a pond, sets everything on its ear. This is fairytale land.

The second act is a little more serious but no less fantastical. “The Nightingale†must be seen and heard to be believed. (I never thought to see wet suits as part of opera regalia). The singers manipulate the puppets, and I couldn’t tell where one started and the other began. Such colour, everywhere! People in and out of water and the Nightingale herself, Olga Peretyatko, SOARED!

I don’t know if anyone remembers “Erwartung / Bluebeard’s Castleâ€, LePage’s opus from the early nineties...wait, if you saw it then you remember it. It’s one of the best opera productions I’ve ever seen anywhere, anytime. This is nowhere near as dark, nowhere near as dramatic, but just as memorable.

When you go, please look out for the “cross-eyed hare†tale in the first act; did he get his beer, or was he, as my friend insists, cooked? He was such a cute bunny I’d hate to think that was his fate, but then this is Russian.

http://www.coc.ca/PerformancesAndTickets/0910Season/TheNightingale.aspx

We were there on the same evening that you attended.

First question --- where were you sitting?

We were in first row, Ring 4, just off centre. The puppetry in The Nightingale (especially in the water) didn’t show well from where we sat. There was a video screen suspended from the ceiling for the benefit of those in the upper balconies but it was of no help at all, the images were blurry and worse, the projection system is noisy. In short, this is a world premier, there are bugs, and there are concepts in this presentation that need revisting -- that’s normal.

There have been evenings at the opera that have been controversial (thank heavens) but I don’t recall an audience as split as this one. A guy behind me dissed the entire evening, the woman he was with argued passionately in favour of this art. The woman beside me left halfway through, muttering about how disgusted she was. I guess she didn’t like the telling of the dour tales.

Me? For starters, I am passionate about Stravinsky and this was exquisitely prepared music. I love the different way of presenting the operatic experience, especially in The Nightingale: huge orchestra behind, pool in front, chorus in between. In The Fox, the action on the sides was the stunning touch. Singing was excellent, and of course Olga Peretyatko’s voice was a slice of heaven. The conductor, John Darlington, is simply excellent, a real catch, and I hope the COC engages him in future productions.

In summary, the audience reaction to the evening seemed to be quite split, nowhere near as ecstatic as the two reviews in Toronto’s main journals.

I enjoyed The Nightingale and Other Fables a lot. My squeeze didn’t enjoy the evening as much as I did, but he enjoyed parts of it.

Are you back from your tour or are you preparing to go? I've not been to that area of England.

Back tomorrow. Northampton and Buckinghamshire, actually. Frightfully nice people, but a busy week.

Can't wait to weigh in on the bunny puzzle ...

Sadly, Stravinsky is still a hard sell for some folks, even a century on.

After three seasons at Orchestra level, I'm tempted to try Ring 3 for '10/11.

I was delighted, reading newcomer Neef's programme note when I went to Butterfly, by how often he refers to the COC as "our" Canadian company, and I'm very optimistic that we'll see more of our excellent homegrown artists singing with the company, and less of the beloved late Svengali Richard Bradshaw's bargain basement eastern bloc finds.

We were there on the same evening that you attended.

First question --- where were you sitting?

We were in first row, Ring 4, just off centre.

We were sitting in row CC, at the back of the orchestra, dead centre. Really good view from the seat(thank god, and curse the poverty that prevents me from getting anything better!) I was saying to my friend that it would have been interesting to see this production from one of the upper rings; I'd have thought the view OVER the pit would have been excellent.

There was no division of opinion where I sat, at least, none that I heard; everyone loved it .We were, like Mrs.Slocombe of blessed memory, UNANIMOUS in this. I will, however, confess to wishing the puppets were on a slightly larger scale, and wishing even more that the COC Women's Chorus had pumped up the volume a bit during their turn on stage. But that's just nitpicking at a terrific production.

I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. I wish I could see it again.

By the way, didn't you think John Darlington rather rocked it during "Ragtime"? He can sure move his hips!:p

Back tomorrow. Northampton and Buckinghamshire, actually. Frightfully nice people, but a busy week.

Can't wait to weigh in on the bunny puzzle ...

Sadly, Stravinsky is still a hard sell for some folks, even a century on.

After three seasons at Orchestra level, I'm tempted to try Ring 3 for '10/11.

I was delighted, reading newcomer Neef's programme note when I went to Butterfly, by how often he refers to the COC as "our" Canadian company, and I'm very optimistic that we'll see more of our excellent homegrown artists singing with the company, and less of the beloved late Svengali Richard Bradshaw's bargain basement eastern bloc finds.

I'm share your optimism re: "excellent homegrown artists". Are you unhappy with your orchestra seats, or are you looking for a different view?

Safe trip home!

We were sitting in row CC, at the back of the orchestra, dead centre. Really good view from the seat(thank god, and curse the poverty that prevents me from getting anything better!) I was saying to my friend that it would have been interesting to see this production from one of the upper rings; I'd have thought the view OVER the pit would have been excellent.

There was no division of opinion where I sat, at least, none that I heard; everyone loved it .We were, like Mrs.Slocombe of blessed memory, UNANIMOUS in this. I will, however, confess to wishing the puppets were on a slightly larger scale, and wishing even more that the COC Women's Chorus had pumped up the volume a bit during their turn on stage. But that's just nitpicking at a terrific production.

I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. I wish I could see it again.

By the way, didn't you think John Darlington rather rocked it during "Ragtime"? He can sure move his hips!:p

Yup, I noticed the conductor's movements. Cool, eh? We wouldn't have seen that if he had been in the pit, it was a pleasure to have conductor and orchestra on the stage for a change. Darlington obviously enjoyed working with the COC orchestra, he brought out the best in them. (Perfect hair, too.)

I believe we are growing a great opera company here in Toronto. Further, a great tradition is starting, we are happily celebrating our singers (to echo comments by yourself and U_S). --> See what this opera house has done??? (I direct that comment to the critics of the opera house, because they always miss the point!).

... that one criticism about the puppets being too small hits home -- add to that, it came to me the following morning that the overall presentation seems to play to the orchestra level seats, the grand ring, and ring 2; above those levels the action gets a little bit lost. Something for the director to work on.

Last edited:

Back