News   Jul 16, 2024
 385     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 514     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 636     2 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

Thanks to my baritone friend at the COC, I'm seeing Butterfly twice - this Saturday ( my subscription ) and next Tuesday - so I'll be able to report back on how the two casts compare.

I believe our esteemed colleague Benc7 is dusting off an old Balenciaga gown and heading down to the swanky Koerner gala on Friday. I'll be sitting here behind the lace curtains all alone that night, doing my Neighbourhood Watch thing, and waiting for him to tell us all about his glamorous night on the town.

I wish to attend the Koerner opening but other people have claims on my time ... grrrr ... oh, well, the opening festivities will stretch on for a while.

Wouldn't a larger version of the Koerner be wonderful for our TSO? Too much to wish for, I know but ---

"You've got to have a dream,
If you don't have a dream,
How you going to have a dream come true ....."

(From South Pacific)

... which is coming to the opera house next summer, while the COC's warblers and the Ballet's hoofers are off having fun in the sun ... maybe in the south Pacific.

Almost saw South Pacific in New York two weeks ago but at last moment decided not to, favouring a small jazz club instead. Will definitely see it in Toronto or New York.

Thanks to my baritone friend at the COC, I'm seeing Butterfly twice - this Saturday ( my subscription ) and next Tuesday - so I'll be able to report back on how the two casts compare.

I believe our esteemed colleague Benc7 is dusting off an old Balenciaga gown and heading down to the swanky Koerner gala on Friday. I'll be sitting here behind the lace curtains all alone that night, doing my Neighbourhood Watch thing, and waiting for him to tell us all about his glamorous night on the town.

Egad, I wish "dusting off" that old rag would do, but I need a complete makeover. Some really nice mice that live downstairs have offered to help, and there are some birds I know who will pitch in. I'm looking forward to seeing Koerner Hall, complete at last!:)

RCM- Koerner Hall-Gala Opening

A swank evening indeed! I’m glad I wore my "UrbanToronto" formal t-shirt with matching cummerbund. I was reminded of what a diversity of experience this city offers; on my way to the RCM, I stopped to watch a little of the football game at Varsity Stadium next door. So cool to have them as neighbours.

There was a crowd in front of the RCM, but not the crowd I expected to see. The faculty had gathered to quietly remind us that the RCM is a teaching institution, and that, well, let me quote a letter posted on the Globe and Mail website:

The Royal Conservatory of Music first and foremost is a school, an educational institution, a place where one-on-one mentoring and learning takes place in the same way that it has for a century, and without its teachers it is just a pile of concrete and wood, no matter how fastidiously designed or admirably extravagant.

That Mr. Simon has saddled that institution with an enormous, hopeless debt load while at the same time keeping its teachers marooned at their traditional poverty level speaks volumes: a visionary, or just a brass-balled bully fortunate enough to have altruists as adversaries?”

The building is as elegant on the inside as it is from the outside, the marriage between the old and new continues up the wide marble stairs into the atrium that has the old building on one side and the new on the other, overlooking the café beneath. Two young musicians appeared on the little balconies overlooking the café to play a fanfare, announcing the performance was about to begin, a nice, dramatic touch.

I bought my ticket the day they were released for sale and, on a whim, decided to sit as far away from the stage as I could get, reasoning that if the hall sounded good from there, it would sound good from anywhere. My seat was on the second balcony, two rows from the back. The view of the stage was far better than I’d hoped, perfect actually; it seemed a lot closer than I thought it would.

The wood ribbon canopy was even closer and yes, I could see the canoe shapes, but from my viewpoint it reminded me of a basket in the process of being woven; it’s dynamic and does an excellent job of hiding all the practical lighting stuff from view. The single row of seats that circle the 2nd balcony are fixed in single file; I thought it strange that you can’t swivel them. People who sat in them we’re sitting as if on a bus, staring straight ahead rather than at the stage.

The evening opened with the National Anthem sung by part of the Mendelssohn Choir and accompanied by the entire orchestra. And I detected a problem; they sounded muffled, the orchestra not as clear as I’d hoped. This was followed by a number of worthies delivering short speeches of which I heard only every third word. I attributed it to a wonky sound system. The “wonks” were exorcised during the intermission and the rest of the speakers were clearly audible.

“Spirits of the House” by R.Murray Schafer, a new work commissioned especially for the opening of Koerner Hall, began the performance. It was my favourite piece of the evening. If they wanted to put the hall through its paces, Schafer’s piece, an evocative sampling of former RCM composers and teachers, was the perfect “test drive”. He had musicians all over the hall, with some of the choir outside the hall, so the sound came from everywhere and nowhere. Bloody perfect, I thought. (I won’t comment on every performance I saw; this is just a general take on the evening.)

At intermission, I moved from level to level, admiring the views of the ROM and Philosopher’s Walk, somewhat obscured by the glare on the glass. I want to come back during the day to see it better. Later, after the concert was over, we were treated to glasses of bubbly and I got to wander on to the cantilevered balcony that affords a terrific view of the CN Tower and the lush greenery of the Walk. It became my favourite place.

After the interval, we saw a short film on Glen Gould, the RCM’s most famous product, and a presentation of Beethoven’s Choral Fantasy ended the evening. All new buildings should be baptized in Beethoven.

I’m inferring from what I heard around me that everyone in the hall was, like me, anxiously listening for success; we wanted this new hall to be perfect from the get-go. It isn’t yet. It’s not like the Four Seasons Centre; from the very first note at the first concert I KNEW we had something special. The musicians have to get used to playing in Koerner Hall, the audience has to discover what the hall is capable of producing, and the hall has to get used to having people in it. I’m a strong believer in what I call “architectural animism”, something Schafer understands. I believe that buildings become alive as lives are led within it. I look forward to adding my bit of life to the mix.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/koerner-hall-gutsy-vision-great-vibrations/article1301660/

Last edited:

I'll be interested in your comparisons of the two casts.

Last night we heard the magical Yannick Muriel Noah sing the lead. She possesses a sumptuous voice. I am drawing mostly blanks in an effort to compare her to other great singers, but a great singer she is. The only comparison that I can summon up is Leontyne Price - the similarity is not huge, but it's in the overall timbre of the voice, for sure.

This is the first time I've heard YMN sing a lead role. I understand she rescued Tosca a couple of years ago; wish I'd been there for that!

It's hard to imagine a better night at the opera, and a full opera house in these pullback times tells me that Torontonians know a good thing.

Edit:

Did you see the insert, advertising the Simon Bolivar / Dudamel concert at the Four Seasons on Oct 26th? I am tempted to go, but I am getting a bit of noise from my squeeze about the prices. I don't think I should pass this up, as it may be the best orchestral concert we hear all season here, and imagine --- in a good hall! ???

Last edited:
Thanks for the insightful Koerner review, Benc7 - and your comments about the acoustics. The straight-ahead balcony seating reminds me of our opera house balconies, close to the stage - except that the chairs there can be adjusted.

Sorry our paths didn't cross last night, Tony. We were near the front of the Grand Ring, close to the stage. The metal lighting cage partly obscured some things, but most of the action is centre-stage ... and it didn't block the sound of course. An added bonus of the location was seeing what the band was up to at all times, and a heightened sense of the direction of the sound, both from the orchestra and the performers - if they turned away while singing.

Two casts, two different chemistry sets, and I preferred last night's bunch. There was a romance between Noah and Bryan Hymel as Pinkerton that was missing between Adina Nitescu and David Pomeroy on the first night, though Pomeroy was in fine voice and Nitescu can act and had an interpretation of the role that was perfectly plausible. Yes, I agree that Yannick was sublime - her voice floated and she inhabited the role. I was lucky enough to catch her on the second night of her Tosca and she's the reason I went for a second look at Butterfly. Here's my "dream team" cast:

Butterfly: Yannick Muriel Noah
Pinkerton: Bryan Hymel
Sharpless: Brett Polegato
Suzuki: Allyson McHardy ( first night )
Goro: Steven Cole ( first night ) / John Kriter

The staging and sets are nicely understated. No equivalent to architectural car crash design here, thankfully. As director Brian Macdonald says in the programme:

We ( Set and costume designer Susan Benson and he ) both had experience at Stratford Festival. That meant wood, simple props, no decoration that wouldn't bespeak the essence of the play, a use of space that would also enlighten the emotions of the actors, and the lean look of abstraction.

Did you see the insert, advertising the Simon Bolivar / Dudamel concert at the Four Seasons on Oct 26th? I am tempted to go, but I am getting a bit of noise from my squeeze about the prices. I don't think I should pass this up, as it may be the best orchestral concert we hear all season here, and imagine --- in a good hall! ???

They've done next to nothing else to promote this thing as far as I can tell, though it has been listed for months. The prices are outrageous - and tickets are selling poorly, according to my source. Considering the greatness of the hall and the heat generated by the Simon Bolivar / Dudamel pairing it ought to have sold out in a flash - I assume that whoever is behind it doesn't quite understand the market or something.

Here's a very kind review I just came across on the web, from Globe & Mail. I got the feeling as I listened last night that this was the start of something big for this soprano. I gather that the reviewer felt the same.

So, she is a "spinto" soprano, that's what I recall saying last evening about her. A spinto is basically a soprano who can do anything and they don't show up very often!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/cocs-madama-butterfly-launches-a-new-star/article1307304/

Last edited:
Well I hope she shows up when she's supposed to.

Returning to my "dream team" ... I'd give the Italian conductor Carlo Montanaro a very slight edge over Derek Bate - it's difficult to say why, precisely, but there seemed to be added subtlety to the subdued moments and more "breathing space" in the phrasing, though the orchestra played so beautifully on both nights it's hardly worth mentioning at all. If I were a musician I'd be able to express my opinion on this more effectively.

The kid on the first night ran off stage without looking at the crumpled heap of dead Mommy on the floor, but the one last night gave a little glance down - and then carried on ... which was devastatingly naughty.

Nitescu stabbed herself in the stomach and dropped like a stone; Noah slit her throat and writhed around a bit. Chacun à son goût ...

For those uninitiated to the story of Madama Butterfly, a shiny hit tune was sung by none other than the inimitable Sarah Vaughan; she recorded many versions of this same song, a studio version and a couple of live versions. If you google 'Poor Butterfly Sarah Vaughan' you can hear her singing it (there are some cover versions too) .. a lovely, blithe American answer to Puccini's work. What can I say, I've got a slow night happening here ..

Poor Butterfly

There's a story told of a little Japanese.
Sitting demurely 'neath the cherry blossom trees.
Miss Butterfly's her name.
A sweet little innocent child was she
'Till a fine young American from the sea
To her garden came.

They met 'neath the cherry blossoms everyday.
And he taught her how to love the American way.
To love with her soul t'was easy to learn.
Then he sailed away with a promise to return.

Poor butterfly
'Neath the blossoms waiting.
Poor Butterfly
For she loved him so.

The moments pass into hours.
The hours pass into years.
And as she smiles through her tears,
She murmurs low:

The moon and I know that he'll be faithful
I'm sure he'll come to me by and by.
But if he won't come back then I'll never sigh or cry,
I just must die.
Poor butterfly.

Lyrics by Hubble/Golden

And, talking of the perfidious male of our species, Blossom Dearie did a lovely version of this:

Promusica Antiqua

I'll sing you a song of the Cloisters if you hark.
I'll sing of the Cloisters in Fort Tryon Park.
Where I used to go in the month of June
To listen to the riddle of an ancient tune
At a concert given in the afternoon
By the Pro Musica Antiqua, the Pro Musica Antiqua
The Pro Musica, the Pro Musica, the Pro Musica Antiqua.

It was at precisely such a recital I recall
That I met a young man, like an oak tree, straight and tall.
As we sat there together, and we spoke no word
As within our hearts ---Ah, something stirred
As we listened there to Buxtehude, Purcell and Byrd
At the Pro Musica, the Pro Musica, the Pro Musica Antiqua ...

He invited me to his flat
For a cup of tea and a chat.
For he said he had a batch of recordings to play
Of Dufy and Dupres, so what could I say, but "Yes"!
What a fool I was to go.
What an idiot from tippy-top to toe.
For behind that face and charming smile
Lay a motive base and a manner vile.
What a fool I was to go!
But how could I nonny nonny nonny know?

Well he took me up to his flat as he had said
And he locked the door and he sat on his great double bed
And he looked at me with eyes that lied
And I knew when I saw that look in his eye
That he had no recordings of Dupres and Dufy
From the Pro Musica, the Pro Musica, the Pro Musica Antiqua ...

Well there I stood. I was rooted in my place.
As I viewed with dread my deceitful lover's face.
For I knew from the lovesick look in his eye,
He could lay me low with a single sigh
Well he laid me low...and he laid me high
At the Pro Musica, the Pro Musica, the Pro Musica Antiqua ...

Now if you go to concerts on the grass
And you're overfond of Gabrielli brass
Or a gay Bonsel, Beware! Beware!
Of what may come to pass.
Of what may come to pass.

Now the sound of a consort of viols makes me ill,
And the lute and the zither make me sicker still.
And every morning at the crowing of the cocks
I wash my face and I comb my locks
And I brush my teeth and I put a pox
On the Pro Musica, the Pro Musica, the Pro Musica Antiqua ...

Now maidens take fair warning from my tale.
Beware! Beware of the music-loving male.
You can go to the Cloisters if you choose
And seek enchantment in the muse
But I hate to tell you what you might lose
On the Pro Musica, the Pro Musica, the Pro Musica Antiqua ...

Back