News   May 15, 2024
 113     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 531     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 2.8K     2 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

I saw The Marriage of Figaro on Sunday from our new seats in the last row of Ring 4, centre. (TonyV, the new seats thing is a long story - last season we were here, there, everywhere.)

Regarding the 'on fire' acoustics - we had loved them everywhere we'd been in the hall so far, until Sunday. The vocals were still fine actually*, but we felt the orchestra sounded muffled where we were. Maybe it was just Julia Jones keeping the lid on them however - I suppose we'll have Don Carlos to compare the sound again this coming Sunday. If it's still muffled, then the jury will declare that the last row is too far under the overhang, or some such thing...

*Direct line of sight from our seats to the stage of course, but the front half of the orchestra were hidden from our view - so that may be what's muffling the orchestra's sound somewhat.

Don't know about the Mozart, but during Ring Cycle last year, I sat in the parterre (side of main level) and for one scene swapped seats with a friend who was in last row ring 3. Acoustics do vary. At the sides, the high frequencies seem to collect, whilst at the back, the sound was more base-ish. My friend and I agreed that both locations had good sound, but different. I prefer the high frequencies in general.

When I was at the Gala last year ( fourth row, Ring 5 ) I thought that the lower register of the male voices was more easily heard than the female higher register, and posted something to that effect here. Someone on another forum ( the TSO one I think ) said something similar.

US -- is it the grand opening gala (mid june/06) to which you refer?

I was there; it was my first brush with that building. I arrived as early as I was allowed, to give the place as thorough a visual shakedown as I could, then I took my seat well in advance of the performance so I could get a grasp of the interior. I sat in row D, ring 5 also. A very nice stranger sent me a lovely nod as I sat down approximately 4 seats away. Wonder if that was you.

I digress, but I have a slightly photographic memory. Sometimes that works to my advantage, and sometimes it doesn't. If my memory serves me well, you are a skyskcraping type with a very genuine smile .. no?

And -- do forgive the intrusion if this is not to your liking.

Yes, the big fancy gala. I wore a white Bryan Ferry dinner jacket ( and a pair of trousers, of course ). With a few drinks in me I have absolutely no sense of decorum.

Decorum aplenty. I remember the jacket and the great hair. Myself in a dark navy mohair jacket with dark grey turtleneck. (Plus the only truly handsome beard in T.O.).

Strangest thing on that otherwise wonderful night was the guy to my immediate left, who applauded only the male singers, and really only gave it up for Heppner. I think by the end of the evening I had him convinced that it was okay to go wild for the female singers, too, such as Adrianne Pieczonka. This guy's visuals were okay, he looked like half of RyanDan as I recall. (Oh-wasn't there another thread in which we talked about audience behaviour?).

If I ever see you again I'll introduce myself.

I remember you.

The forum queens have gatherings now and then - there was one at the end of October - so if you're one of us, and a party animal, join the mailing list! Just email either myself, interchange, Darkstar, SimplyDan, FutureMayor, AlvinofDiaspar and we'll look forward to meeting you and the other new members.

Me a Queen? No, I'm just the consort for a Princess, and no, he's not on the forum.

Back