News   Jul 30, 2024
 239     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 940     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 553     0 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

Re: >Re: Speawuw and Magwic Helmet

I have to run 12 miles this sunday, which I'm looking forward to somewhat less.

You have to? Not without stopping now and then I hope.

Only as necessary. It's week 7 of my 18 week marathon training schedule.

andreapalladio - the fast runner!

Three miles ( plus some walking ), four times a week is plenty for me.

I'm off to St. Anne's at Dufferin & College on Sunday to catch their annual G&S operetta - my first visit there in 30 years. Last time I attended I sat beside Ma and Pa, so these tickets signify an exercize in terribly foggy nostalgia for me. This time St. Anne's is doing The Grand Duke, which I hear was the last of the G&Ses written. It's one I know otherwise nothing about in advance, but will soon know why its not as popular as Penzance I presume.

For I am a Pirate King!
And it is, it is, a glorious thing
to be a Pirate King!

And just up the street, at Croatia Street, the Royal Conservatory students hold concerts from time to time.

Today has started nicely. Firstly, I win a couple of free tickets to the TSO's Brahms next Wednesday by phoning a radio station. Secondly, I learn that :b Yannick's tickling the ivories at Heliconian Hall on the 3rd.

Man, I haven't won anything on the radio since that time I won a free trip to Montreal to see Whitney Houston. In 1986.

It was my first try. I was a radio virgin until today.

My parents got their write-in ( Honest! Pre phone-in era! ) request to have Champion The Wonder Horse played for me on BBC radio when I was about 5.

Like a streak of lightnin' flashing 'cross the sky
Like the swiftest arrow whizzing from a bow
Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly
You'll hear him everywhere you go
The time will come when everyone will know
the name of ..... Champion The Wonder Horse ....

Champion The Wonder Horse!

Classical 96.3 has also been running a Win A Trip To Paris contest. I might give it a try, though I fear they ask a skill-testing question.

Heliconian Hall called and I'm on their list. Wheeee!!

Oh, my, Yannick. Oh, my my.

I first heard Yannick conduct the TSO in 2004 in Shostakovich's 5th, and it is still the best thing I've ever heard. He accompanies Alex Dobson in Schubert's Winterreise at the Heliconian, but I would imagine that it is sold out now that word is out.

I ran into unimaginative2 in the Orchestra last night, surrounded by his retinue but we didn't get to chat.

The director gave an interesting talk in the fancy lounge after dinner. He said the challenge was to depict evil that "isn't cheesy." The trapezoid shape is repeated throughout the opera. They went for a streamlined 3 hour evening and cut quite a bit, but put in the Walpurgis Night scene - the clingy babes in purple - that isn't usually done. They also put more back in this production compared to what they did in Vancouver. Faust grows devil-like horns as the drama unfolds. We were very impressed with the staging.

And the contemporary Goth look seemed perfect, since it is a continuation of early Romantic imagery.

Mephistopheles wore a topper just like mine ... though I wasn't wearing it last night.

Poor Brett Polegato had a bad hair night though, didn't he?

And that baby looked pretty ratty I must say. My baritone friend didn't think much of the "accidental" killing of it either. What a cop out, but the director told us that neither the singer nor he were happy with the traditional staging where she just becomes a real bad girl and kills the little tyke.

We loved the heavenly choir waaaay up above us. Were they visible from Ring 3?

We stayed, after the crowd thinned out. Yannick ran through select scenes again and was more interactive with both orchestra and singers. At one point he jumped over the railing and ran up the aisle right past us. Such an active young man.

No, we couldn't see them. I presumed them to be in Ring 5 - if they're going to give up paid seats for that effect - and it's fantastic - they'd want to give up the cheapest ones.

They were on that catwalk that runs across the front of the stage just below the ceiling, facing out towards the audience. I spotted a few feet and ankles. My baritone friend assumed they were in the wings, but the sound is so directional in that place I could tell they were up above us somewhere.

Interesting - they sounded as if they were above and behind us - I never thought to look for them up there.

Back