News   Jul 17, 2024
 376     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 585     0 

Uptown Waterloo grows Up

Ignore my original post. It's something else, but no one on campus that I've talked to seems to know what.

Last edited:
6 August 2009 photo update

Bauer Lofts nearing completion, some residents appear to be moving in. I hope some of the onsite surface parking disappears....but since it's Waterloo, I highly doubt it....:(

dsc07108.jpg

dsc07210z.jpg

Car entrance--probably the most used entrance, it's Waterloo afterall....

dsc07207r.jpg

See, look at this guy!

dsc07205m.jpg

The courtyard really needs an all-weather cover for those yucky Waterloo winters:

dsc07204.jpg

Cool old glass windows have been replaced by....

dsc07187c.jpg

dsc07188.jpg

The side street loading docks look like poo:

dsc07191d.jpg

lowrise new "loft" building:

dsc07193.jpg

Very naughty surface parking here!

dsc07197b.jpg

Is FCUK gonna sue these guys? lol

dsc07202o.jpg

After kicking out the street boarders, how's the square doing? On a typical weekday afternoon in uptown, quite deserted! What a wasted opportunity!

dsc07170w.jpg

How's "small town" Ontario being affected by the recession? Terribly, I'm afraid. I know there's some landlord issues at some locations (new landlords want to tear down some buildings to put up condos etc), but still, this is the most rundown I've seen Uptown in decades!

Tacky art gallery is history here:

dsc07167i.jpg

Disgusting restaurant is toast here:

dsc07156p.jpg

Another empty storefront nearby:

dsc07160y.jpg

And a new business here, haven't tried their coffee yet.

dsc07162m.jpg

The Chainsaw massacred the old country bar:

dsc07163j.jpg

Another condo, the 42, on Bridgeport east of King St N, finally begins construction:

dsc07151j.jpg

K-W/Grand River Hospital expands more into its parking lot, thus terrifying the locals. :p

dsc07109w.jpg

dsc07163j.jpg

Is that the Silver Spur? Nothing's sacred!

Re: the square, it badly needs a centrepiece. And stronger edges on the west and north sides.

The rusty bell-shaped lump hidden by the golf umbrellas is the centrepiece. The city's raising money for a seasonal skating rink and water feature, though. The softer edges will only be solved once the mall is erased from the face of the earth and replaced with something else.

The rusty bell-shaped lump hidden by the golf umbrellas is the centrepiece. The city's raising money for a seasonal skating rink and water feature, though. The softer edges will only be solved once the mall is erased from the face of the earth and replaced with something else.
It's not the centrepiece, it's off to the side and by the looks of it is largely ignored. The water feature/skating rink will be the centrepiece, and until it's installed the centre of the square will look rather empty and incomplete.

The mall needs to be about 10 stories--1 floor of retail and 9 floors of housing (student/rental, condo and seniors' housing, perhaps 6 buildings in total, maybe even another little private square in the middle of the complex?) The empty bit next to the RR tracks should be a 4 story retail/rental building, and even the north side of the square itself could accomodate another narrow 4-6 story building--with cafes/patios spilling into the square.

I am thinking that what Uptown needs is a WLU building or three...to bring in 24/7 activity. Perhaps on Caroline Street? (Convenient for future streetcar route from downtown Kitchener to UW.) And how about a concert hall of some sort? (Or perhaps the P.I. accomodates that need?)

btw, Chainsaw=Silver Spur, a bar I hated. (Country music not my thing...)

Finally, I think a combined K-W central public library should go on part of the hospital parking lot--with direct connection via covered walkway to the hospital.

Last edited:
Given that the institute is built on the old ice arena (which was built on an old landfill!), perhaps the appropriate thing to do would be to attach an ice rink as well, for an NHL team to play in. :)

Good Uptown Waterloo pics!

UD: Waterloo looked interesting in these pics-even a small city like this.
I like the humor with the siht ad-I will say these pics do not scuk! LI MIKE

A Moxie's restaurant is going into where the Scotiabank is located facing onto the public square.

Scotiabank is moving to beside Starbucks.

American Apparel is moving in on Willis Way beside Channers.

Many new businesses are open in Uptown Waterloo filling most of the empty spaces shown in the posts above. For awhile there was alot of change which made it look like businesses were leaving; however, new clothing stores and restaurants have been opening. High-end restaurant King Street Trio is moving back Uptown across from the public square. A Moxies is moving in at Waterloo Town Square, and American Apparel has opened. In addition to this are numerous other places I don't even know or can't remember the names. I was uptown several times these past two weeks when I've been in Waterloo and it's looking better than I've ever seen it. The Quiznos is closed and would make a great place for a flatiron building if they'd get rid of the parking lot.

Quadrangle's the42 lofts are now several floors above grade.

The Bauer Lofts are now completed and registered with tons of retail facing a courtyard and streets around the site, including an urban grocer, high-end restaurant, chic juice bar, and numerous specialty shops.

American Apparel has opened on King Street.

KPMB's Balsillie School of International Affairs is under construction, with one floor above grade completed on some parts of the site:

waterloobalsillieschool.jpg

waterloobalsillieschool.jpg

Last edited:

Back