News   Jul 17, 2024
 395     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 589     0 

Uptown Waterloo grows Up

SSP is chatting about an expansion for the Perimeter Institute.

Um whoa. I wonder what that will look like... and would it be on their parking lot? Very interesting nevertheless.

urbandreamer, I'm not sure where you get the idea that the public square is "not needed". Did you prefer the parking lot, or are you just against improvements and additions to public space?

27 December 2008 photo update

For your information, I prefer a strong retail streetwall. (Uptown has too many open spaces, and in fact, I'd argue its real "public spaces" are in fact parking lots where people interact. Just down the street are two-underused--public spaces--@King and William.

Anyhow, Saturday 27 December 2008 saw me in this sleepy part of Ontario. I walked around Bauer Lofts--it's okay, but the area around it could handle another 50 buildings just like it. Until then, it looks out of place (but I love it anyway.) A very foggy wet day to be taking photographs, but the weather was perfect for me.

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00232-1.jpg

DSC00258-1.jpg

DSC00254.jpg

DSC00248.jpg

DSC00241-1.jpg

DSC00240.jpg

DSC00239.jpg

DSC00235-2.jpg

Perimeter Institute to double in size

By Liz Monteiro, THE RECORD, Saturday, March 21, 2009

WATERLOO

The Perimeter Institute plans to double in size, with plans for a four-storey addition.

The 5,019-square-metre (54,024-square-foot) addition will be located along the rear of the building, partly facing Silver Lake in Waterloo Park.

The project could cost up to $35 million, said Perimeter spokesperson John Matlock.

Up to $12 million could come from the federal government.

Another $12 million would come from the province and $6 million from private contributors.

Funding announcements are expected in June, Matlock said. He would not elaborate on the private money except to say that the "private sector money will be there.''

The addition will feature an ionized exterior and glass to match the existing building, said city planner Ryan Mounsey.

Currently, the Perimeter Institute has 85 researchers and many visiting scholars. The addition will allow for growth, tripling the number of researchers, said Matlock.

"The space will allow us to scale up to a critical mass of researchers to attack the toughest problems in modern physics,'' Matlock said.

City council is set to approve the plans at a meeting on Monday night.

"They have outgrown the space. They have grown faster than they expected,'' Mounsey said yesterday.

The institute must ask for the city's approval because the facility sits on city-owned land. The institute has hired Teeple Architects of Toronto to handle the project.

Other expansion details include a new front entrance facing Caroline Street with a tree-lined sidewalk. The number of parking spaces will decrease to 56 spots from 81. The nearby Trans Canada Trail will be maintained.

The current building is 61,357 square feet and was completed in 2004. It has won awards for its architectural design.

The institute also uses the old post office at 35 King St. N. as temporary space.

Mounsey said the addition will bring office and research space into one building. The institute expects to begin construction this summer. It will take 16 to 18 months to finish the project, Mounsey said.

Personally I wish Saucier+Perrotte was the architect behind the expansion of their own recent design.

It would look amazing as a separate building, but this addition doesn't seem to match tooo well with the angular current building.

We'll see though! I look forward to it nonetheless.

That's what I thought--they should have made it blend in with the rest of the building.

At least the street view is going to be the same!

7 May 2009 photo update

dsc00416eqc.jpg

dsc00495lki.jpg

dsc00503lyh.jpg

dsc00500u.jpg

What a f***ing tragedy in the foreground:

dsc00527k.jpg

dsc00530bgq.jpg

dsc00533hrd.jpg

Table and Chair building and surrounding houses to be replaced by this hideous condo tower? (One step forward (bauer) 2 steps back (here)...damn I hate progress sometimes.:( )

dsc00531v.jpg

Pharmacy building from Victoria St approaching Charles St/King St:

dsc00583ofz.jpg

mystery project in downtown Kitchener (Charles and Frederick?)

dsc00587i.jpg

29 May 2009 photo update

Hard to believe...but just 2 hours after I took this photo the weather turned to poo.

King St North, Waterloo, approaching Bauer Lofts site, with Allen Square on the left (who do I know that works in that building?:)):

dsc01972iod.jpg

I used to know a girl that went to church at the Adult Resource Centre on the fake sabbath--right foreground. She was nuts.:p

dsc01973t.jpg

Last edited:
Uptown Waterloo Square opened today

Here's some photos I took yesterday (Friday)--it was open, and some band was setting up their gear.

Comments: I think it's too big. I wish Shops @Uptown Square had all glass frontage facing the square, with cafes and patios. I wish the square itself was smaller--perhaps half the size it actually is, and was oriented closer to the street. As it stands, it has the feel of a giant concrete baseball diamond. I'd extend retail uses (4 stories) down Willis Way to King St and along the RR tracks to King St, with the square in between. Otherwise, it's a good start, but perhaps like Toronto's Dundas Square, the lack of greenery/trees is a temporary problem?

From King St:

dsc01940l.jpg

Band setting up for today's opening? The bell sculpture is a nice touch, if slightly out of place.

dsc01963a.jpg

dsc01958e.jpg

dsc01951w.jpg

pavement detail:

dsc01961j.jpg

Will it be another decade before the mall gets redeveloped with higher densities? Residential/retail mix would be welcome.

dsc01964n.jpg

However, the mall does have some nice posh shops, including Heel Boy. But I discover my favourite is a coffee house, "Matter of Taste." Perhaps Uptown's best coffee is served here! (Would be ideal cafe to face the square.)

Next task: put some retail in the uptown parking garage across the street, which would probably increase business/awareness.

I noticed the older folks that live in uptown hate the square, while younger students like it. Your typical suburban K-W-er?

dsc01962m.jpg

U Waterloo

Does anyone know the architects of the new sciences and maths buildings that Waterloo announced on Friday?

CANADA AND ONTARIO INVEST IN UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO ENVIRONMENT, ENGINEERING AND MATH PROJECTS
May 29, 2009
Investment will create jobs, stimulate local economy

WATERLOO – Peter Braid, Member of Parliament for Kitchener–Waterloo, and Leeanna Pendergast, MPP for Kitchener–Conestoga, today announced a joint investment of $50 million in two projects at the University of Waterloo. The federal and provincial governments are contributing $25 million each toward the funding of the University’s Engineering and Math Project and the Faculty of Environment Project.

“The University of Waterloo has a strong reputation for leadership in innovation, and for expertise in mobilizing learning and research for future discovery,†said Braid. “Our government’s funding will further advance these goals and opportunities, and reinforce this community’s prominence as a centre of education excellence. At the same time, the construction of these facilities will put people to work and benefit our local economy.â€

“Investing in the skills and knowledge of Ontarians is a cornerstone of our government’s plan to strengthen the economy,†said Leeanna Pendergast MPP for Kitchener-Conestoga. “By investing at the University of Waterloo today, the Ontario government is supporting new construction and renovation projects which will create construction jobs in the short-term and provide more opportunities for our students to develop the skills they need for the jobs of the future.â€

"Our federal and provincial leaders are to be commended for their joint support of these two important projects," said David Johnston, President of the University of Waterloo. "The University's engineering and mathematics project will ultimately increase Canada's advantage in key areas that include ICT, health and energy. Our proposed environmental research cluster will help produce the intellectual capital and research needed to ensure that growth in Ontario is driven in an intelligent and sustainable fashion."

The federal investment is part of the second and final round of funding under the Knowledge Infrastructure Program, the federal government’s two-year, $2 billion plan to repair and expand research and educational facilities at colleges and universities across Canada. The provincial funding comes under the Ontario Budget 2009 commitment to invest in Ontario’s colleges and universities over two years.

On Monday, the first round of funding under these two programs was announced, including the investment of $50 million in the Balsillie Centre for Excellence in Global Policy, and $26 million in the Laurier Brantford Research Academic Centre.

Demonstrating their commitment to stimulating the economy and creating jobs, both the Governments of Canada and Ontario are moving forward with a number of large-scale infrastructure programs to assist Ontarians when they need it most.

Through the 2009 Ontario Provincial Budget – Confronting the Challenge: Building Our Economic Future – the province is investing $32.5 billion in infrastructure for Ontario over the next two years, including a $5 billion contribution from the federal government that will support more than 300,000 jobs and strengthen Ontario’s economy. These investments build on the Ontario government’s five-year, $30 billion ReNew Ontario infrastructure investment plan, which was completed in 2008-09, one year ahead of schedule.

Canada’s Economic Action Plan sets out to stimulate the Canadian economy over the next two years and to improve our long-term competitiveness through $12 billion in new infrastructure investment, across Canada, which includes the $2 billion Knowledge Infrastructure Program. This new support is the next substantive investment in the Government of Canada’s multi-year Science and Technology Strategy, Mobilizing Science and Technology to Canada’s Advantage.

Back