News   Jul 25, 2024
 376     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 536     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 457     0 

Union Station platform renumbering and signage

An outright lie on the part of GO. Using letters to indicate tracks and platforms is extremely common throughout Europe.

A strong statement. Why would go deliberately lie about how platforms are numbered? It may be a mistaken statement, but a lie?

A strong statement. Why would go deliberately lie about how platforms are numbered? It may be a mistaken statement, but a lie?

To say that it's "the only train station in the whole world" certainly means that they are claiming to have looked into it. Either they're lying that they researched their statement, or they're willfully lying.

To say that it's "the only train station in the whole world" certainly means that they are claiming to have looked into it. Either they're lying that they researched their statement, or they're willfully lying.
They never claimed they researched it. They simply made a factual statement that is in error.

I don't know if GO is "lying" but that statement would excuse anyone who mis-states the fact?
I'm not excusing anything - but the statement above was that GO said they researched the uniqueness of Union's platform numbering. They never made such a statement, at least anywhere that I've seen. It's an error, pure and simple, not some nefarious plot.

I'm not excusing anything - but the statement above was that GO said they researched the uniqueness of Union's platform numbering. They never made such a statement, at least anywhere that I've seen. It's an error, pure and simple, not some nefarious plot.

CDL never said that GO claimed to have researched it he said (and I quote):

To say that it's "the only train station in the whole world" certainly means that they are claiming to have looked into it.

If they did not look into it they should not say things like that.....they are either lying or incompetent! It is a small thing, I know, but how could any agency be saying something like that without stopping first and saying "hey, are we sure about this?"

And sorry, I was not implying that you were excusing anything...I was just pointing out that saying "They simply made a factual statement that is in error"......is a far too convenient excuse for lying.

I got a briefing presentation on the new train shed and tour of Union Station's new signage program.

Re: New Train Shed. Construction will begin in the Spring of 2009. Its going to look absolutely spectaular, its going to blow a lot of people away. New renderings show be updated on the GO Union Station Renewal website soon.

Re: New Signage. They are already in use at the Bus Terminal across the street.

Fun facts: Union Station is the only train station in the whole world that currently labels tracks A & B.

With the new signage there is actually no tracks 1 & 2. The best explanation I got was that north and south subway tracks were considered 1 & 2!

Louroz

Does it really make sense to count the subway tracks as tracks 1 and 2? Please someone convince me! :-/

I had no idea that my fun facts would make such a big fuss on here.

I'm going to make it clear and request from staff a written statement about what they actually meant about the unique platform numbers, and why the subway tracks are considered Track 1 & 2.

I'll keep you posted.

Louroz

Makes sense. For example of emergency services were called to the station, then it might cause confusion if they were called to subway platform 2, and they landed on GO platform 2. Very easy to implement, and caused no harm.

If they did not look into it they should not say things like that.....they are either lying or incompetent! It is a small thing, I know, but how could any agency be saying something like that without stopping first and saying "hey, are we sure about this?"
I completely agree with that. The statement from GO itself was wrong and unprofessional, given the obvious lack of research behind it. I'd suspect that someone decided that they needed a "fun fact" to liven up an otherwise boring press release about platform numbers. While I would disagree with that, I can accept it - except that any statements made in a press release should be accurate to the full extent possible.

Sadly, this sort of exaggeration is rampant. The most egregious example is the "most multicultural city in the world" comment that comes up repeatedly, without any evidence to justify it.

Makes sense. For example of emergency services were called to the station, then it might cause confusion if they were called to subway platform 2, and they landed on GO platform 2. Very easy to implement, and caused no harm.

Yes, very sensible reason and why do we care if there is not a rail platform 1, 2, 13? As long as I can find my train...

Back