News   Jul 26, 2024
 377     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 853     1 

Ultimate Suburban McMansions

^^^ Home Sweet low-rise office complex. They need to get that roof, and those chimneys, under control!

That's a lot of fireplaces. Only seen that kind of thing in the UK; on the bigger estate type places in Surrey, or wherever I was. Suppose it could be a kind of chimney status thing; the more the merrier. It was a steamship/battleship thing too, the four stackers were more popular with passengers/impressed the Turkish Bey more:)

That's not actually not a bad looking mcmansion.

Funny how Casa Loma hasn't been brought up in this thread--basically, Henry Pellatt had the formula down cold a century ago...

Then there's plenty of tacky mansions in Forest Hill, Willowdale, and many, many other parts of the GTA/Ontario/Canada. I have many ideas of what a dream home should be, but chances are great I'll end up building a teepee in the woods of Bruce County for myself.:) Surely the most environmentally friendly form of living?

If 4500sf counts as a mcmansion, then basically all the houses in my area is one:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=e...162,-84.303031&spn=0.008459,0.017338&t=k&z=16
For reference, the smallish looking homes on the right are around 3500sf each. The area under construction in the center, a single development with similar homes, is done now, and this is an example of one of the homes for sale (8750sf, $1.7mil): http://www.sibcycline.com/viewlisting.asp?mls=1121649&b=CIN&p=RESI&s=SFRD&m=1&sender=SearchResults
Also notice the supermcmansion on the bottom, which has a monstrous footprint probably 3x larger than those of the "small" houses. Oh, did I mention there is no public transit within 10 miles from here?

And my area isn't really that bad, either; rumor has it that every single house in Indian Hill (pop 5907) runs in the millions of dollars, and with a median family income of $179,000, i wouldn't be surprised.

Wow, how much of 48,000 sq. ft can you actually use? For me, the idiocy of these giganto-mansions has always been the fact that there's no possible use for all the space. It's all for show. I've been in one for a brief visit. They had two huge living rooms, decorated with the finest furniture and accessories you can find, that were never used because they had the TV in the basement. What is the point of that? Even if you had 6 kids and multiple hobbies, you couldn't put more than 6,000 sq ft to use.

Funny how Casa Loma hasn't been brought up in this thread--basically, Henry Pellatt had the formula down cold a century ago...

While you might argue Casa Loma is a bit of a folly, I would consider it the exact opposite of a "McMansion".

You're definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed buddy!

It's been noted that your remark lacks actual content. This would suggest an intellectual vacuum on your part.

You are not my buddy.

You're definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed buddy!

yes, i'm afraid that's a rather flat footed and ignominious first post. you probably should have built up a little head of intellectual steam before wading in. maybe you can delete your profile and start over.

While you might argue Casa Loma is a bit of a folly, I would consider it the exact opposite of a "McMansion".

Why is that? It's certainly better built, and possibly a better 'whole', but it was definitely built as a F-U House.

What's the quality that makes those hideous houses McMansions? Is it just the jumbled, stupid, aesthetic? Or is it their size alone? If they were built as more honest, suburban-vernacular, monsters - would we be more okay with them?

Imagine a street of these
farnsworth_375_slides_front.jpg

Back