Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
Parliamentary democracy is a much better system of government. There's a reason countries the US has 'brought democracy to' (Most recently Iraq & Afghanistan) have been set up with Parliaments and not U.S-style (small-r) republican rule. With the U.S. system, it's way too easy for extremists to manipulate or outright control the government.

I suppose that even if the Palin Republicans lose this one, they'll win in the longer term, a la Barry Goldwater's harbinger for the future--especially if we consider (as mentioned) that the "stupids" are reproducing more avidly and more rapidly. And America will become an Ayatollahish theocracy.

Thinking back 40 years when the US of A seemed like such a glistening promised land of Ed Sullivan and Commander Tom on cross-border television, it distracted you from the actual ugly reality of the place taking place: the nonchalant nadir of white flight and urban decay, etc. Now, it seems like the other way around: our "received" image of the States is of such weirdo Jesusland degradation, it distracts us from the actuality of Obama-world cultural enlightenment...

Just remember, if Obama wins this fall (I still think there is good possibility, all he needs to do is win Iowa and New Hampshire and bring in Colorado and New Mexico outside of the states he already knows he can win), its likely going to be by the hair on his teeth. There is not an Obama mandate, he will have gotten elected under circumstances no President should face. Bush has left America devastated domestically and seen as a bully abroad.

Can you really say with a straight face that comparing George Bush to Bill Clinton is like comparing Coke to Pepsi?

The great imponderable, of course, is the extent to which the Palin B-52-ish mullet beehive hairdo will sway the vote.

And in America, the vast majority of people are very non-complex people who don't understand the basics, let alone fine details or complexity.

You do realize the nation to your south believes by majority that the Earth is only 2,000 to 6,000 years old and that God whipped it together in 6 days, right? If you're curious I can find some polls that show over 50% of the population when polled consistently believes such. When it comes to Bridge to Nowhere and Taxes, I hardly think they understand anything at all..

In all fairness to the USA, an Angus-Reid poll conducted a while back suggested that over 60% of Canadians believed humans and dinosaurs co-existed at some point in our past. I think if you compare someone from middle-of-nowhere Canada to middle-of-nowhere USA, the results would be pretty similar. The major difference being, Canada is more urbanized. Our big cities compose far more of our population than is the case in the USA, so our results tend to get skewed to the left. Canada really doesn't have anything to compare to "middle-America" (and thank god for that).

This is the opening gong of the kulture-kampf though. That VP speech wasn't an acceptance speech, it was a deceleration of war. It clearly set out two camps; the urban "elite", and "the average guy". It is a populist attempt to draw a wedge right down the middle of the USA, those who are "with us" (anti-abortionists, creationists, anti-gays) and those who are against us (people with a degree from a reputable university).

Sarah Palin Roundup
- Her youngest child is most likely belongs to her daughter.

- Her daughter is prégo out of wedlock. This is only bad when juxtaposed with the GOP's self-preceived notion of bearing the moral torch.

- Her daughter's baby-daddy has "Don't want kids!" written on his MySpace page

- She got elected on supporting the bridge to nowhere (which McCain has always alluded to as wasteful earmarking). She cancelled the bridge, because she wanted to use the money elsewhere in her budget. She now proudly states that she was against the bridge, and therefore pork. LOL

- She was a director of Ted Steven's 527 group (raising unlimited money from corporate donors), yet pretends she is anti-lobbyist. Stevens was later indicted on corruption charges

- Was involved with a successionist Alaskan group

- Was almost-recalled as mayor, where she left a nasty debt.

- Cut funding to a social program directed at finding housing for new mothers. Wahh wahh.

- Is being investigated for political interference in "troopergate".

- Has effectively cancelled any future playing of the experience or celebirty card by the GOP

- Was vetted by a Google search, and met with John McCain once, for 15 min. She is currently being vetted. Yes, currently.

Hilarious.

There seems to be enough ammo here to "swift-boat" Palin several times over. I wonder if the Obama will stick to the high road when Palin seems like such an easy target for negative-campaigning.

When a bug killer who loves Jesus and thinks the Earth is 6,000 years old controls the US Congress, there is a problem. Sure, they lost power in 2006, but that really isn't the point. That kind of nonsense is far less possible in Canada's Parliament.

But that's a perfect example of the American Dream! Education is for the A-l33t!

Turns out she strong-armed the town librarian when she was mayor, tried to get her to sign a "loyalty" oath over the *possible* banning of books (which ones, we don't know) that Palin may or may not have had a problem with, was rebuffed, served the librarian a resignation letter, shitstorm ensued, Palin backtracked and was forced to keep said librarian on.

In short, she doesn't even have the courage of her convictions to push through book-banning at her local library. How's *that* for qualified?

But that's a perfect example of the American Dream! Education is for the A-l33t!

In regards to Canada, the US, and democracy, I think its pretty simple.

Canada has traditions, the US has traditions.

In the United States, its tradition for electors to choose the President based on recommendation of the popular vote. This system doesn't always elect the most popular votes (as we saw in 2000) and this system basically locks the nation into a two party system. The electoral college is a winner takes all system, so a voter who voted for any party but the winner essentially has no vote at all. The person who gets a majority or plurality in a given state gets ALL its electoral votes (so long as the electors stick to their word).

In the United States, all real power in Congress is essentially held in the Senate.

In Canada, the Parliament has two branches. By tradition, the Canadian Senate holds little meaningful power. Its more symbolic. All the power is held in somewhat proportional ridings in the House of Commons.

The actual elected party gets to do things and is responsible for those things. Canadian people know where the party leadership stands, and they directly vote a party in or out. If a party doesn't keep its word, they know who to hold directly responsible.

Maybe my university professors emphasized the responsible vs non-responsible party system more than the average American got taught, but there is a huge positive in having a responsible party system like Canada has.

Canada's Parliamentary system is more democratic because where all the real power is held, its direct elections of the members in each riding.

That's my opinion.

But at the same time, there is moderation built into the system. The Senate by tradition holds little power, but it can moderate the House of Commons when it wants to try, and symbolic positions can be held that really show diversity when otherwise a person wouldn't be elected.

For example, America is all gung-ho over the possibility of Obama, a black American, to be President. They are happy a female might be VP on the Republican side.

Canada already has an individual that is both black and female in the name of Michaëlle Jean. Educated people in Parliament who both respect and promote diversity appointed her, and it represents the multi-culturalism of Canada in real ways.

But her position is purely symbolic, so people don't fear her in terms of political policy. She's a symbol of Canada. I think that's a safe diplomat to have in terms of representing Canada.

I prefer the Parliamentary system 100x more than the American system.

custom_1220381941522_palin.jpg

I dunno...have to admit there *are* some potentially intriguing Max Mosley-type scenarios here...

Back