Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
I would reckon many people tuned into Obama's speech due the insane hype and by having the Media Channels declaring it a historical event.

Clearly shows a disconnect between the media and middle America.
That's it exactly. We can sit here in multi-cult left-liberal Toronto and declare that of course Obama is the obvious choice for Americans. However, America is populated by mostly blue collar white folks who like the bravado of a stong military, and while most Americans are not that religious in example, those of the right wing religious types are very well organized.

America is like Sparta, where military service is revered. Over 1.4 million Americans currently serve in their military, and more than 20 million Americans have past service, combat, administrative, etc. in the military, from WW2, Korea, Cold War, Vietnam, Lebanon, etc.....

So, you're some blue collar white guy who served in the military (or whose father did), value the right to guns and hunt (even if you don't have one), have friends fighting the Muslims in Iraq and/or Afghanistan and you've got some urban, ivy-spoken black guy, with no military service with a Muslim name, with an angry-looking "only-now-proud-to-be-American" black wife, who you believe supports gays and abortion asking for your vote. On the other hand, you've got a white, senior (maybe our blue collar guys will call that "experienced") veteran decorated combat soldier, and a young, strong willed, gun-totting hockey mom that reminds you of all the white, hardworking moms you know (or wish you did) that will help rebuild the republican party that Bush wrecked. Who is our blue collar white guy going to vote for?

Obama's only chance is to bring out those who wouldn't usually vote in sufficient numbers to matter; minorities in their millions, students, youth, etc. There's no chance that middle America will vote for Obama.

God, Guns, Guts, and Country. That's what middle American votes on. Here in Canada we think they're crazy, and maybe they are, but that's what the voters want.

custom_1220381941522_palin.jpg

Just when you thought that George W. Bush was as bad as it could get...

^That doesn't make me feel any better.

If McCain becomes prez, and fades to black while in office, this is the person who becomes president.

eek.

The Dan Quayle insurance policy all over again.

^That doesn't make me feel any better.

If McCain becomes prez, and fades to black while in office, this is the person who becomes president.

eek.

and america will disintegrate soo much that by next election, soo many americans will be willing to put their prejudice aside in favor of someone who is competent that a gay black transsexual atheist could have a shot at the presidency.

There is truth to that. I've read in several media outlets that a win for the GOP will be a disaster, since with a Democrat-ruled Congress, McCain will get nothing done, while the country falls deeper into debt and the war continues to bog down, pushing the GOP out of the White House for a decade or more. An Obama win will give the GOP time for the memory of Bush to fade and to rebuild the party. In that case, you might see Palin for Pres in 2012.

^

eek.

The Dan Quayle insurance policy all over again.

Except that Dan Quayle was too much the empty vessel--and in a way, Dubyah has probably turned out to be the perfection of what Quayle was meant to signify.

Judging by the performance and reception so far, I fear that what we're seeing here is the emergence of a veritable Evita of Spucklerville, and a national-stage populist firebrand of the sort America hasn't seen since the days of Huey Long.

I wonder how much nail-biting must be taking place amongst the Americano TIFF attendees...

Back