Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
McLame-Loserman might have a good shot at the Presidency, actually. Not that I would like to see it, but they do have a good shot.

Luckily, a certain amount of fundies will react with: "A GOP running mate that's a jew? Might as well have picked a black man..."

http://meaningfuldistractions.wordp...-not-messianic-pays-tribute-to-german-design/

bauhaus1.jpg

pretty much the best graphic design in US Election history...

^And yet everywhere I go in Toronto, the Jewish community (especially the older generation; but even some young ones) insists on calling Obama a "muslim" or a "terrorist." In fact, they always call him "Osama." Interesting....

I find it very sad....:(
Very sad indeed. I was out for drinks with a Buffalo friend the other night and he was telling me his life-long Democrat-voting dad will be supporting McCain this time around as he'd "never vote for a nig--."

Even a casual surfing of political blog sites shows that, while this election is not about race, it's actually about race.

Very sad indeed. I was out for drinks with a Buffalo friend the other night and he was telling me his life-long Democrat-voting dad will be supporting McCain this time around as he'd "never vote for a nig--."

it's too bad they let just about anybody vote. voting shouldn't be a right, it should be a privilege.

It's sad. Obama, who was supposed to be a symbol of hope and change, is instead serving to reveal the truly ugly side of US politics, and yes, Americans. Go to CNN.com or MSNBC.com, read any article about the election, and then browse the reader-submitted comments beneath it. Page after page of racism, xenophobia, Islamophobia, homophobia, fundamentalism, blatant lies, false accusations, death threats, logical fallacies, semi-literacy and plain old ignorance will pour from your screen in an alarming avalanche of idiocy.

Many Americans seem to view politics in the same way they view football: pick a favourite team at age 5 and then stay the course for 75 years, come hell or high water. There is no "discourse", and very little discussion based on anything a reasonably detached observer might consider to be a fact. I try to remind myself that wackos are probably over-represented in those types of forums, but I can't help but feel I'm seeing a cross-section of the real America and it scares me. Decades of arrogance, poor education, and an infotainment-obsessed media seem to be coming home to roost. What else can be expected when the news media seems to consist of a competition between every-louder and ever-fatter men shouting back and forth at each other?

Obama will probably win this election, but I'm afraid that this presidency will be a booby prize; and when the country crashes down around him as a result of the past decades of poor governance, Obama will be the most convenient scapegoat available.

Obama will probably win this election, but I'm afraid that this presidency will be a booby prize; and when the country crashes down around him as a result of the past decades of poor governance, Obama will be the most convenient scapegoat available.

if things will go to hell, better that mccain wins so people don't associate the disaster with a democratic and/or melanistic president.

if obama could undo all the republican damage (that of the melanisticly challenged), better obama wins (obviously).

yes, being white is a disability. check the ADA (inability to reduce UV ray penetration in the epidermis). ;)

It's sad. Obama, who was supposed to be a symbol of hope and change, is instead serving to reveal the truly ugly side of US politics, and yes, Americans. Go to CNN.com or MSNBC.com, read any article about the election, and then browse the reader-submitted comments beneath it. Page after page of racism, xenophobia, Islamophobia, homophobia, fundamentalism, blatant lies, false accusations, death threats, logical fallacies, semi-literacy and plain old ignorance will pour from your screen in an alarming avalanche of idiocy.

Many Americans seem to view politics in the same way they view football: pick a favourite team at age 5 and then stay the course for 75 years, come hell or high water. There is no "discourse", and very little discussion based on anything a reasonably detached observer might consider to be a fact. I try to remind myself that wackos are probably over-represented in those types of forums, but I can't help but feel I'm seeing a cross-section of the real America and it scares me. Decades of arrogance, poor education, and an infotainment-obsessed media seem to be coming home to roost. What else can be expected when the news media seems to consist of a competition between every-louder and ever-fatter men shouting back and forth at each other?

I don't think you can put much stock in comment boards of newspapers, etc. They are where some of the quackiest quacks find their soapbox--and they can scream louder than the reasonable majority.

The United States is the most ironic of all western industrialized nations. No where will you find such worldly, advanced, scientific, architecturally magnificent, and wealthy cities such as San Francisco and New York, just to have the entire pie as a whole still be so backwards and screwed up. The tens of millions of people from Texarkana to Huntington, Fargo to Shreveport totally ruin what could be the greatest nation on Earth.

Man, that entire post was great and very much in line with how I perceive the paradox that is America. Ths US has the highest levels of religion amongst western industrialized countries. It truely baffles me how backwards, dogmatic beliefs can thrive in this modern age. As for the contrasts in wealth, a lot of it goes back to the philosophy of every man for himself, thus you get a great disparity in the distribution of wealth and the resulatant high levels of crime. That is definitely one thing that Canada does better than the US is take care of the society as a whole. Of course there are European countries that take it to an artform.

I think Obama is trying to keep a very neutral ground on policy while continuing to be "inspirational" in his speeches. He seems to have several conflicting messages from my point of view, but the deciding factor for me is the Republicans have screwed things up so royally over the past 8 years and John McCain is so pro-war. Let's see what Obama can do... no doubt we'll all be disappointed in the end, but the fact is that politics in the US these days doesnt serve the needs of the citizens, but rather the will of the elite and giant corporations. The 'choice' that supposedly exists between the two parties is a very thin distinction... its all the same corrupt system.

Puke Green - your posts was awesome as well. It is frightening to see what a significant portion of Americans hold these hateful and dogmatic beliefs. I think the poor education and infotainment is part of an ongoing strategy to increase the size of the under class. The more people who are uninformed or uneducated, the easier for the system to maintain a grip on power. Its ironic that they are able to manipulate these people, hand them lives of misery and ignorance and then recieve undying loyalty from the same. And the even more scary thing is that as the most powerful nation on earth, these ignorant and intolerant view points form the basis of foreign policy and are exported in "shock and awe" type spectacles of death on innocent civilians on the other side of the world. Let's hope there is some degree of sanity restored by this next election!

I'm stuck at a political crossroads. Having been exhausted by the US political system, having supported Democrats in every election since I turned 18 in the year 2000, I don't know what to do with my vote this year.

Do I vote for Obama when he's against genuine universal health insurance, for faith-based initatives, and doesn't take the energy and climate crisis seriously enough to support real CAFE increases and serious carbon reform?

If it looks like McCain will seriously win, I'll be voting for Obama somewhat reluctantly, as I've lost confidence in the Democratic party. When the Democrats wrestled control of Congress in 2006 they used their power very poorly, and I expect much of the same from Obama if he wins.

But if McCain is clearly not going to win, I'll be voting for 3rd party. Its not about race for me, I have wanted all my life for a minority of some type to become President, whether it be female candidates (technically they aren't a minority, but definately have the gender gap to overcome), a black/hispanic/asian/non-white candidate, or even an openly gay candidate.

Something I YEARN for even more than the above is a US President, regardless of race, that can be elected who is an avowed atheist and can be respected. People of no faith can tolerate those of faith, and it would be a milestone to see someone elected who genuinely believes in human secularism.

But these social aspects take a back seat to actual policy for me. America needs so many things, as we still have super power status to use. From international trade policy to domestic policy to war and foreign diplomacy we need radical change from today.

I don't see Obama really offering enough, but he's better than McLame.

it's too bad they let just about anybody vote. voting shouldn't be a right, it should be a privilege.

LOL! 150 years ago, it was a privilege to vote. A privilege that belonged to White male property owners over the age of 21. I'm glad the franchise of voting has been extended to all races, women, 18 year olds and people not fortunate enough to own land.

LOL! 150 years ago, it was a privilege to vote. A privilege that belonged to White male property owners over the age of 21. I'm glad the franchise of voting has been extended to all races, women, 18 year olds and people not fortunate enough to own land.

i'm glad it's been extended too. just sad that alot of stupid people get to vote just because they are over a certain age while some smart youth are not allowed to vote simply based on age.

Stupid people may not become smarter, but younger people will come of age.

The Republican attack ads begin....

Everyone: Has anyone noticed the two attack ads being run by the Republican Party on behalf of John McCain?
One has brief pics of Paris Hilton and Britney Spears and mentions Barack Obama's celebrity status? I say "what does that have anything to do with the issues at hand?"

The commercials are mentioning the same old rhetoric of higher taxes,no offshore drilling or other new energy policy and that Barack Obama will cause the USA to lose the Iraq War.

In Barack Obama's camp they are beginning to creatively answer these ads with commercials that refer to what Barack Obama truly stands for-and mentions a web page showing his energy policy. They are taking the high road and staying away from attack ads. I have also heard mentioned that Barack Obama-because of who he is-that attack ads placed by the Democratic Party on his behalf can do much more harm to his campaign than John McCain's.

I remember a cousin of mine - who had a intense dislike of political attack ads - and I remember him saying "Enough knocking the other guy-how about telling me what YOU are going to do?"

I feel attack ads are the WRONG way to go in the 2008 Election-they only influence those that would not support that specific candidate anyway.
But-from past political experiences-a candidate must respond to them and hopefully take the high road showing their true agenda. I feel that Barack Obama is now doing just that-and keeping things positive.

Observations and insight from Long Island Mike

Back