News   Jul 17, 2024
 551     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 505     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     0 

Twenty Gothic (High Park, Monarch, 8s, &Co)

29 September 2008 photo update

A mid-afternoon walk by, barf bag at the ready: It's ugly, but not a total disaster. New glazing/panels would help, as would a different treatment of the parking garage. What I'm looking forward to: the westside High Park subway stn entrance re-opening.

DSC00098.jpg

DSC00099.jpg

DSC00100.jpg

DSC00101.jpg

^.. Agreed. White or brick would have been better. I hadn't been to this area for a number months... nice to see the completed building... thanks for the pic

Dunno what all the fuss is about. It fits in quite nicely...take a picture from the front, on Gothic Avenue. Nice recessed terrace, L-shaped building, titanium window frames. One needs to look at the whole picture.

Nice to have density added in areas that aren't so 'downtown'. I think it's a nice project and adds to the area.

The 20 Gothic Building is a blight. Yes we need more condensed living space close to public transit (as opposed to rampant urban sprawl) , but it is a shame this monstrosity was built there.

The whole thing stinks.

Originally it was supposed to be built between two existing apartments on Quebec Ave. Which would have been fine. But those people in the apartments on Quebec were intimidated into agreeing with developers to give up their tennis courts on the parkette that used to be on the eastern tip of Gothic Avenue in exchange for them....the existing apartment dwellers were told they were going to get a 20 storey building a stone's throw from their apts. They freaked out and agreed to give up their tennis courts which were located where this monstrosity now stands.

At the time of this highly dubious land swap, some neighbours who were opposed to the apartment being build on the parkette, got together and raised some money to take it to the OMB. Needless to say, the developer had more money and more resources than the neighbours, and though they did have representation at the OMB, surprise surprise, the OMB listened to the developers not the local residents.

The OMB needs to be disbanded (OMB Folly anyone??) and I resent that apartment building as long as I live.

The 20 Gothic Building is a blight. Yes we need more condensed living space close to public transit (as opposed to rampant urban sprawl) , but it is a shame this monstrosity was built there.

The whole thing stinks.

Originally it was supposed to be built between two existing apartments on Quebec Ave. Which would have been fine. But those people in the apartments on Quebec were intimidated into agreeing with developers to give up their tennis courts on the parkette that used to be on the eastern tip of Gothic Avenue in exchange for them....the existing apartment dwellers were told they were going to get a 20 storey building a stone's throw from their apts. They freaked out and agreed to give up their tennis courts which were located where this monstrosity now stands.

At the time of this highly dubious land swap, some neighbours who were opposed to the apartment being build on the parkette, got together and raised some money to take it to the OMB. Needless to say, the developer had more money and more resources than the neighbours, and though they did have representation at the OMB, surprise surprise, the OMB listened to the developers not the local residents.

The OMB needs to be disbanded (OMB Folly anyone??) and I resent that apartment building as long as I live.
Sounds like someone who owns in the Quebec Ave. complex and 'lost their view' as a result of 20 Gothic.

Back