News   Jul 17, 2024
 201     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 849     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 545     0 

Twenty Gothic (High Park, Monarch, 8s, &Co)

30 June 2008 update

Early this afternoon, I do a walk by shooting.

DSC07344.jpg
DSC07347.jpg

The tedious neighbourhood (on Bloor St W) :

DSC07346.jpg

DSC07352.jpg

What's the condo called that's in the centre of those last two pics?

I remember them being extremely pricey and I think there was major debate over them since they were backing onto High Park territory...

I'd love to see the views from the south facing suites.

^HOME, by Context. Yes, the view overlooking High Park is probably nice, and the terraced look is nice, but...overall the quality of this building is severely lacking! You can see the waterproof membrane peeking out if you look down the ravine, Context still can't sell the penthouse suite, etc. And the smokers on the SBUX sidewalk patio are annoying. I really hate how the building turns its back to Bloor Street West here--I mean, the pet store and Sbux are relatively small retail gestures, but the elevator shafts eat up all the good retail possibilities. Oh, and I loathe the brick colour they chose! In the winter, it's a grim stretch of the city all right....:(

However, can you keep a secret? There's a famous Canadian fashion model living in one of the units!:D

If you want to live in high style in High Park, check out those "luxury" brownstone apts on the right of the bottom photo: nice!

Thanks for the pics... contrary to your words, the images make the area look quite charming! But am I missing something? I dont get the "Gothic" reference...

Wow. 20 Gothic is taking shape quite nicely. Glad to see it will blend into the surrounding archtiecture. Very little land in this area for condos (or anything else). Must be up and coming. Heard Loblaws is 'quietly' acquiring the land around its No Frills Store on Bloor to build a mega Real Canadian SuperStore. Bloor West is becoming quite the upper-middle class enclave. Location X 3.

Wow. 20 Gothic is taking shape quite nicely. Glad to see it will blend into the surrounding archtiecture. Very little land in this area for condos (or anything else). Must be up and coming. Heard Loblaws is 'quietly' acquiring the land around its No Frills Store on Bloor to build a mega Real Canadian SuperStore. Bloor West is becoming quite the upper-middle class enclave. Location X 3.

That's interesting to hear about what Loblaws is doing. It could mean the demise of those stores set back from the sidewalk with the parking spots in front. They're the ones in between No Frills and the large parking lot. It would be nice, because those buildings are basic in architecture and inconsistent with the urban feel of BWV where stores are built right up to the sidewalk.

Bloor Street through Bloor West Village is often verrrry slow - could the area really support a Real Canadian Superstore traffic-wise? There will be a NIMBY fight par excellence over that should Loblaws try to go ahead with that plan.

Have you been there lately....? Just check out all the tear down/re-builds. Kennedy Ave., which is right around the corner from the No Frills, has seen an incredible transfromation over the last couple of years. Like-wise the South Kingsway. The old 1930/40s-era houses have given way to mini-Mcmansions (what else could they be on 25-foot lots?). And, apparently, the used car parking lot on the west side of Bloor is to be developed for condominiums. Loblaws would not be going into an area without doing their homework. They would love to have a full-service store in the area. But, yes, the residents would put up an incredible fight. I imagine it would be a 'unique, urban' form of their suburban superstores. Maybe even with storefronts to appease the local residents. If done correctly, it could work.

Thanks for the pics... contrary to your words, the images make the area look quite charming! But am I missing something? I dont get the "Gothic" reference...
It is charming! Very European in flavour. But, alas, that is changing. Becoming a bit yuppified.

Have you been there lately....? Just check out all the tear down/re-builds. Kennedy Ave., which is right around the corner from the No Frills, has seen an incredible transfromation over the last couple of years.

The south end of Kennedy is breaking away from the uniformity of the original subdivision. But it's more original as you go northward, especially after Bloor. A couple of houses there have even spent large budgets on upgrades and landscaping, while sticking to original aesthetic. Maybe it's getting yuppified, but when hasn't Bloor West Village been a well-off area?

As for the Real Canadian Superstore, maybe it'll be similar to the St. Clair West Loblaws.

Back