News   May 07, 2024
 620     3 
News   May 07, 2024
 435     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 368     0 

TTC's Fancy New Technologies Thread

Those are there because we don't have fancy new technologies (yet) like Automatic Train Operation. The dots help the operator in braking the train to stop at the correct spot in the station.

The green dot is, correct me if I'm wrong, where the operator is to start applying the brake.

The orange dot is where the guard should be when the train stops.

The red dot is where the driver should be when the train stops.

Those are there because we don't have fancy new technologies (yet) like Automatic Train Operation. The dots help the operator in braking the train to stop at the correct spot in the station.

The green dot is, correct me if I'm wrong, where the operator is to start applying the brake.

The orange dot is where the guard should be when the train stops.

The red dot is where the driver should be when the train stops.

The green dot is where the guard's cab should stop when the train is correctly spotted in the station. The orange dot is the point at which the guard is allowed to stop looking out the window.

There are signs under the platform lip, and i suspect these are to tell the driver where to start applying the brakes under various speed and load combinations.

Where's a subway conductor when you need them?

"The green dot is where the guard's cab should stop when the train is correctly spotted in the station. The orange dot is the point at which the guard is allowed to stop looking out the window."

Plus:
Red dot - where driver's cab should be when the train is correctly stopped in the station.
Number "6" under the platform edge: Where a 6-car subway train should start braking when entering the station. There used to be "2" and "4" signs when the TTC operated different-length trains.

taken from the TTC Subway Rider Efficiency Guide

http://ttcrider.ca/tips.php#tsreg

The orange dot on six-car subway platforms can be used as an easy way to remember where to wait for the train on the platform, so that when you get to your destination station, you're lined up near the stairs or escalators. The orange dot is attached to the wall in each subway station and lines up to approximately the 3rd car, 3rd door of each train.

Destination stations where the orange dot is useful:

Bathurst (eastbound and westbound)
Bay (eastbound and westbound)
Broadview (eastbound)
Castle Frank (eastbound)
Chester (eastbound and westbound)
Christie (eastbound and westbound)
Coxwell (westbound)
Davisville (eastbound and westbound)
Donlands (eastbound)
Dufferin (eastbound and westbound)
Dupont (northbound and southbound)
Eglinton (northbound and southbound)
Finch (northbound and southbound)
Islington (eastbound and westbound)
Jane (eastbound and westbound)
Kennedy
King (northbound and southbound)
Main Street (eastbound)
North York Centre (southbound)
Osgoode (northbound and southbound)
Pape (eastbound and westbound)
Queen's Park (northbound)
Runnymede (eastbound and westbound)
Sheppard (northbound and southbound)
Sherbourne (westbound)
St. Andrew (northbound)
St. George (eastbound, westbound, northbound and southbound)
St. Patrick (southbound)
Union (westbound — towards University line)
Victoria Park (eastbound)
Warden (eastbound and westbound)
Wellesley (southbound)
Wilson (northbound and southbound)
Yonge (westbound)

A simple way to remember which stations are orange dot stations is to remember them as an acronym:
BBBCCCCDDDDDEFIJKKMNOPQRSSSSSUVWWWY
Pronounce it out like a word and remember it by the way it sounds.
— submitted by Hayley Watson

Back