News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 999     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 371     0 

TTC York University BRT

York University Maglev. Nice. Would it continue to VCC? ;)

Yeah, you guys are right. I just read grade-seperation as being a waste of money and couldn't believe it....that without having really thought about the actual situation here.

I think I'm supposed to be asleep.

PS: I am never going anywhere near this corridor using transit so I really couldn't care less from a purely self-centred perspective.

Wow, I didn't know it was this far in construction. When is it supposed to open??
Good to hear that the busway will be used even after the subway extension, PLUS it could be used for shuttle buses when the subway's out of sevice =P

I guess I don't see a level crossing as being a big deal. The volumes are low enough on both lines not to require one. The engineers have clearly studied the issue and decided that a grade separation is not necessary, and I agree with them.

OC Transpo has a busway that crosses a railway at grade on the new section near Fallowfield VIA Station. That track also has 10-12 trains a day total, but trains are slower as they are either accelerating or declerating to/from the station.

urbanfan, you make a good point. Why does the photo show the 36 Finch west bus going to Finch West station via the BRT. I believe the Finch West LRT is supposed to be in service around 2014-2015, just in time for the subway opening, and thus, that route would not exist.

I don't quite get the 117 Alness routing to Finch West station via the busway. It doesn't seem to make any sense to me. The time it takes to go from Finch/Dufferin to Downsview is 5 mins. The time to get to Finch west may be shorter, but riders would have 2 extra stops on the subway, and a longer wait, since service will be less frequent on the extension than from Downsview. The most congested part is Dufferin from Finch to Steeles since it's only 2 lanes in each direction. I can't believe the city hasn't widened this stretch to match the capacity north of Steeles and south of Finch. Should not be too expensive to do since it's only a 2km stretch with plenty of room in the ROW to widen the road. You can widen it and make the new lanes HOV or bus-only lanes.

I'm not even sure why the TTC would still operate the 107 Keele North - why not just combine that section south of Finch on the map with the 117 Alness and make it one route out of Downsview?

The 107, even if it does run from Finch West Station, wouldn't become a YRT route?

That's a good point to. They should just make the 117 Alness stay on Alness, and forget Dufferin street entirely, and just continue south on Chesswood to Downsview to serve the industrial area between Finch and Sheppard.

I would assume the 107 Keele would become a YRT route, but then it would start from Steeles West, rather than Finch West.

I go to York University, and I think that this busway is a terrific idea. The Spadina extension won't be finished until 2015 at the earliest. Finally the 196 can live up to it's "rocket" moniker.

Once the subway extension is running, could they extend the busway east through the Hydro corridor to Finch station? The subway extension won't be terribly useful for York students coming from the northeast. Or, in the same vein, extend it to Yonge and Finch and run a frequent express bus between the two sides of YUS. As it stands it's a pain to get from one to the other when you're north of Bloor.

I'm not even sure why the TTC would still operate the 107 Keele North - why not just combine that section south of Finch on the map with the 117 Alness and make it one route out of Downsview?

The 107, even if it does run from Finch West Station, wouldn't become a YRT route?

I think the 107 is already a YRT route... It is just contracted out to the TTC, isn't it?

That's purely semantics. It serves a purpose south of Steeles - such as the LePage industrial area and offering an alterative to getting to the subway. With the extension, it serves no real purpose south of Steeles unless it does that silly routing via the busway.

I would expect it then to become a YRT route, and not a TTC route contracted by York for service north of Steeles.

Once the subway extension is running, could they extend the busway east through the Hydro corridor to Finch station? The subway extension won't be terribly useful for York students coming from the northeast. Or, in the same vein, extend it to Yonge and Finch and run a frequent express bus between the two sides of YUS. As it stands it's a pain to get from one to the other when you're north of Bloor.

Once Finch West LRT, Eglinton LRT, and possibly the westerly extension of Sheppard subway are in place, transferring between the sides of YUS should be a lot easier.

On top of that, the busway east of Dufferin would have to cross the Don reservoir somehow.

I second merging the southern portion of 107 with 117 Alness. The Keele North bus should definitely be YRT, and it should go from Finch West station. Of course this only leaves the Dufferin North bus to use the busway (taking into account the construction of th Finch West LRT)

The City Council's proposal doesn't make sense at all. How comes Route 107 skips YorkU Stn, and Route 117 runs to Finch West Stn? As I know, almost all passengers of Route 117 take it to connect southbound subway.

I'd like to see Route 107 starts at YorkU Stn after the opening of the extension, it would make more sense. Be operated By YRT, of course.

And, yeah, merging the west portion (Alness Industial Area) of 117 and the south portion of 107B and serving Shepperd West Stn would be a GREAT idea. If 105 has enough vehicles, the dufferin portion of 117 can be wiped out, in my opinion. A street loop via dufferin and dolomite is good enough.

Last edited:

Back