News   Jul 16, 2024
 128     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 284     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

TTC: Waterfront Transit EA

The trouble I have with the Bremner route is east of Spadina. If the west of Spadina part had been built during Cityplace build out with a junction at Spadina, it could route cars onto King or Queens Quay on a scheduled basis or during outages like the current QQ construction. But east of Spadina you have Skydome and the ACC - how often would pedestrian counts and security theatre force closure, and more so if the NFL came permanently.

But east of Spadina you have Skydome and the ACC - how often would pedestrian counts and security theatre force closure, and more so if the NFL came permanently.
Not sure how the ACC would effect it. It would be in the tunnel between ACC and Union station.

Is Bremner that bad after a game? When I've been there, there's been people crossing, but it's hardly been completely blocked. And it only lasts a few minutes post-game - which what, happens once a day at most?

Going through a pile of disk of photos, I came upon my spreadsheet I did for the TTC Watefront Transit EA for the May 2006 meeting. I also have the photographs of all the intersections being looked at for the Portland Area study as well. I looked at all modes with LRT being the best option from my point of view.

In your spreadsheet, does ''3 Car DLRV" stand for Driverless LRV?

If so, that option does sound attractive and keeps things in-line with another waterfront system (London's Docklands Light Railway). Medium-capacity rapid (i.e fully grade-separated) transit. I'm surprised the group of developers who backed Doug's takeover plan didn't opt for something like DLR instead of a whacky monorail system. I mean really. Toronto has the most Light Rail in the western hemisphere, was the birthplace of Skytrain/ART... yet they propose a failed 1960s-era piece of crap? smh.

As an aside, there does seem to be a bit of a disconnect with our priorities when tracts of scrubland by a highway corridor +20km away are hurriedly upgraded from BRT plans and prioritized around the costliest transit possible (subway). Whereas a Canary Wharf-esque 1,000 acre chunk of prime downtown waterfront real estate in North America's 4th largest metropolis actually gets downgraded from streetcars to buses.

I'm assuming nothing came of that meeting.

I'm not entirely sure if a LRT line along Waterfront West makes sense, with GO RER being so close.

I'd propose a re-alignment along Lake Shore in conjunction with plans to revitalize the Exhibition Grounds and Ontario Place.

The western leg of the DRL can serve Queen Street West and GO-RER/SmartTrack will handle Liberty Village adequately.

From WT Board report for their meeting on 9 September:

East Bayfront LRT

At the meeting of the Board of Directors on February 8, 2015 (“Board Retreat”), it was agreed that Management would redeploy funds allocated to Work Package EBF08-01, Queens Quay East LRT Infrastructure in the Long Term Funding Plan (LTFP), in order to establish a reserve to address potential risks in capital investments and revenue generation. It was further agreed that Management would determine the appropriate use for the balance of the funding in EBF08-01 that would serve as the first phase of East Bayfront Transit.
Management has now circulated the 2015/2016 LTFP update for review and comment by the Federal, Provincial and City Secretariats. The plan includes the creation of two new work packages:
1. CORP-01 Capital/Revenue Reserve in the amount of $25,000,000 2. EBF08-04 Queens Quay East Revitalization in the amount of $57,000,000

In addition, at its meeting held on June 10 and 11, 2015, Toronto City Council approved the following motion while considering the Gardiner Expressway Environmental Assessment Options:
1c (4) - City Council direct the City Manager to report to the October 20, 2015 Executive Committee meeting on acceleration and costing of the East Bayfront LRT and analysis of how its implementation would reduce travel times under the "Hybrid" option.

Management has now met with City staff to begin discussions that will address both City Council’s and the Board’s directives. Management, in consultation and cooperation with City staff and TTC will undertake a detailed review of East Bayfront LRT funding solutions, phasing and acceleration options as well as alternative options for East Bayfront Transit (including costing and phasing). Funding has been allocated in the 2015/2016 LTFP to implement these studies.

Management has now met with City staff to begin discussions that will address both City Council’s and the Board’s directives. Management, in consultation and cooperation with City staff and TTC will undertake a detailed review of East Bayfront LRT funding solutions, phasing and acceleration options as well as alternative options for East Bayfront Transit (including costing and phasing). Funding has been allocated in the 2015/2016 LTFP to implement these studies.

Wonder what this could mean. Lowly BRT? Bi-directional Flexity Freedoms using a new surface alignment? Or something cooler like a light metro?

It goes hand in hand with these events:

Port Lands Workshop: Wednesday, October 7th from 6:30 pm to 9:00 pm

·Port Lands + South of Eastern Transportation and Servicing Workshop: Thursday, October 8th from 6:30 pm to 9:00 pm

From the sounds of it, the whole thing has been scrapped, the money redeployed to a reserve fund because they think the economy is tanking and they won't hit their targets, and instead they will install some new planters and repave the road...

They then decided that because council wanted to hurry things up that rather than do that they would have a study about speeding things up, that likely will take forever...from the sounds of it they already have decided the best way to speed things up is to look at alternate options - like do nothing, monorail, busses and DRL...none of which will make any sense and take longer than building the already planned LRT, but have friends in high places pushing them...eventually a new EA will be needed and that will take a long time as well...one day, the Gardiner will be replaced...and the process will start all over again...

Back