News   Aug 07, 2024
 79     0 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.5K     3 

TTC union's ad campaign precedes contract vote

2% a year is actually less than most indexes of inflation.

Think what we may of unions and their ability to hold a city in this instance to hostage; from their viewpoint, it's just a cost of living increase they are fighting for.

The TTC does seem to be strike trigger happy. It's as though the purpose of contract negotiations is to strike. As such unfortunately for them they have expended their public sympathy capital for some time to come. The irony is that with a left-wing Mayor at the helm and NDP stalwart Giambrone on the TTC file this should be as good as it gets for the union.

A question I have though is if there is a strike, do we get a partial refund if we buy the April metropass or should I stick to tokens that month?

On the last strike you could bring in your Metropass at the end of the month for a small refund.

The irony is that with a left-wing Mayor at the helm and NDP stalwart Giambrone on the TTC file this should be as good as it gets for the union.
I would expect Giambrone and the Mayor will not be as conciliatory as some might expect (although I could be wrong). Two reasons...

1. They represent management in these negotiations and it would be just plain dumb to play the 'solidarity' card
  2. They could probably gain a few political points by at least appearing to not give-in to all the union's demands. Being from more on the left, they will be applauded more for such a move (even if it means losing a few core voters) than someone on the right would have (i.e. Mel).

Transit trouble

Yes my friends, you won't have to wait much longer for insightful but vexing comments from myself, I will tip you guys off to the day that I plead my case before the forum of public opinion in our major dallies.
Cheers and regards,
Daniel Kowbell
A.T.U.
LOCAL 113

How much does an average TTC employee make per annum? I would assume that the job is definitely not a spectacular one, but one that pays fairly well, and offers security due to it being unionized work.

Like a lot of people on this board, I would assume, I ride the TTC daily and have to say that rarely do I encounter professionalism, courtesy and or good service- on average it is average. I am not against pay raises, but when the service provided is not worth the money they receive, why should they get more?

I think they are using the tactic of holding a strike a little to easily, especially given their service record of recent- not that they are entirely responsible for all service interruptions, or failures, delays etc., but come on, the TTC is run so casually at times, that you might think its a bunch of friends who decided to start a transit company one day..

p5

... rarely do I encounter professionalism, courtesy and or good service- on average it is average ... p5

I would say the 'user interface' - if I can call it that - is inconsistent.

Over 50 years of using the system - beginning as a child - I've would say that the user interface has changed. But then times have changed too. The subway drivers once left their doors open and would let children stand and watch them work.

I've dealt with charming ticket booth personnel and one who raised a finger to shush me because I insisted quietly that she end her personal cell call to sell me tokens. This was after I waited a solid minute. The she made me wait another solid minute to get her point across.

I have heard them dealing occasionally with people who don't have enough moneyfor a fare. What's up with that? If you don't have enough money why even try to get on the TTC??

My guess is that there is not enough supervision.

Union is a holding a press conference tomorrow - I swear, if they go on strike next week theres gonna be thousands of students that are gonna be screwed with finals come next week.

I'm only surprised they actually stayed on the job over a week without a contract. The past week and a half, the union has actually been quiet, at least until today. Who woulda thunk it?

I've got a bike, but it will be one hell of a commute downtown from my place with the traffic, but I've done it before.

Today on the Yonge line at Bloor...

"If you hold the doors, im going to be in no hurry to fix them" came up over the P.A.

All I could think of was the 'worth a million' ads. Definitely not this employee. If I were to make a page like that at work, I would be fired on the spot. Its amazing what TTC employees can get away with.

Today on the Yonge line at Bloor...

"If you hold the doors, im going to be in no hurry to fix them" came up over the P.A.

All I could think of was the 'worth a million' ads. Definitely not this employee. If I were to make a page like that at work, I would be fired on the spot. Its amazing what TTC employees can get away with.
On the contrary, I wish there were more announcements like this. They make people laugh and get the "don't hold the doors, idiot" message across much better than a computerized voice. Stop taking life so seriously.

On the contrary, I wish there were more announcements like this. They make people laugh and get the "don't hold the doors, idiot" message across much better than a computerized voice. Stop taking life so seriously.

No one was laughing, and im sure if the door had jammed everyone would have been even more pissed.

Back