News   Apr 24, 2024
 952     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

Found it!!

King-Queen-Queensway-Roncesvalles Reconstruction of TTC track allowance, road, sidewalk, watermain, sewer and platform, dated November 2015.

You can download the PDF from this link. From a 2016 link.

The construction was supposed to be 2017, but looks like (allegedly) it will be 2019.

1545188079778.png

1545188170853.png

1545188360049.png

1545188423537.png

1545188461518.png

1545188487631.png

1545188617054.png

Last edited:
Found it!!
My worst fears are realized. There are no turns possible from King to Queensway. The lack of foresight is astounding, but not surprising. The curve radius to match turnouts on the north of the intersection can be matched on the southwest. Unfortunately the cranium can't reach any further than the anus at head orifice though...

Many thanks for finding that, even though my heart sinks...

Last edited:

I have been look for it. Thanks ! And, yes, the consturtion will be starting in February 2019

Last edited:
My worst fears are realized. There are no turns possible from King to Queensway. The lack of foresight is astounding, but not surprising. The curve radius to match turnouts on the north of the intersection can be matched on the southwest. Unfortunately the cranium can't reach any further than the anus at head orifice though...

That sucks. Get ready for extra traffic on Dufferin between King and Queen.

That sucks. Get ready for extra traffic on Dufferin between King and Queen.
Your handle is thettctransitfanatic so I find it strange that you appear NOT to want the TTC to maintain and improve the network. (and this project also involves water etc upgrades). Yes, when the King/Queen/Ronces/Queensway work is being done it will create problems for traffic but what is your solution? It's easy to say "It sucks".

Your sure about that?
Yup. Studied the diagrams for close to half an hour. At first glance, I was relieved, until realizing the dark areas are the future trackwork superimposed over the present, the light. As drawn, the diagrams appear ambiguous. What's really needed are separate 'before and after' ones.

Perhaps I'm wrong, I thought Drum was incorrect in his first posting of these and the discussion on the whole southwest corner being pushed into a much tighter intersection with the Queensway eastbound platform protruding into the present space.

I hope I am wrong, or the TTC/Roads included switch slips from King to the Queensway. The roadwork (carefully note the traffic marking on the asphalt for turning left onto Roncy from Queensway, and other indicators) fouls the present trackwork.

Discuss amongst yourselves!

Last edited:

what are you talking about? there isn't a dedicated left turn lane (which they probably should have tried to accommodate as the queues for left turns today delay the 504 pretty significantly), but it's pretty clear you will still be able to turn left from King onto the Queensway.

Edit: ah, you meant streetcars.

Yup. Studied the diagrams for close to half an hour. At first glance, I was relieved, until realizing the dark areas are the future trackwork superimposed over the present, the light. As drawn, the diagrams appear ambiguous. What's really needed are separate 'before and after' ones.

Perhaps I'm wrong, I thought Drum was incorrect in his first posting of these and the discussion on the whole southwest corner being pushed into a much tighter intersection with the Queensway eastbound platform protruding into the present space.

I hope I am wrong, or the TTC/Roads included switch slips from King to the Queensway. The roadwork (carefully note the traffic marking on the asphalt for turning left onto Roncy from Queensway, and other indicators) fouls the present trackwork.

Discuss amongst yourselves!

Maybe that is one reason for the couple of years delay. The design was dated 2015. Maybe they were redesigning the trackwork to include a left turn track from King Street West to The Queensway, and a right turn track from The Queensway to King Street West. Haven't seen an "updated" configuration.

Think the intersection is complicated? It was "worse" before the 1950's. Here a photo from 1923. From this link.

s0071_it2040.jpg

Roncesvalles is to the right. King Street West is to the lower left.

Last edited:
Maybe that is one reason for the couple of years delay. The design was dated 2015. Maybe they were redesigning the trackwork to include a left turn track from King Street West to The Queensway, and a right turn track from The Queensway to King Street West. Haven't seen an "updated" configuration.

Think the intersection is complicated? It was "worse" before the 1950's. Here a photo from 1923. From this link.

s0071_it2040.jpg

Roncesvalles is to the right. King Street West is to the lower left.

It looks like all the current tracks are still there.

It looks like all the current tracks are still there.

Not the Lakeshore tracks leading to the upper left. The Queensway did not exist, the tracks that would be leading to The Queensway only go to the Sunnyside loop and the carhouse. No right turn tracks from Roncesvalles to Queen Street (Queensway), nor left turn tracks from Queen Street (Queensway) to Roncesvalles..

Back