News   Jul 16, 2024
 431     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 520     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 644     2 

TTC: Streetcar Network

Why hasn't someone brought these issues up in City Council? It's not going to get fixed if the regular commuter doesn't know about it.
We have a Board (with both citizen and councillor members). They should know about these kinds of things and ask the difficult questions of TTC staff but that is clearly beyond most of them. They should then be out there fighting for the $$ to fix them but ..... Sigh!

Apparently streetcar service isn't due to return to Humber until about June, with service west of it suspended likely for another few months after that. In addition, streetcar service will be again cut off in late 2018/early 2019 for the Roncesvalles intersection reconstruction. HBS will not have streetcars from basically late 2016 to 2020.

I think that's the death knell for Lake Shore streetcar service, people won't want it back.

I'm sorry but that's just embarrassing, 4 years to replace streetcar tracks and reconstruct a streetcar loop/major intersection? In comparison the Eglinton Crosstown will have completed major tunneling work within that same time frame.

This is the problem with the city trying to stretch out major projects due to cash flow issues, and quite frankly they should be ashamed with themselves.

I'm sorry but that's just embarrassing, 4 years to replace streetcar tracks and reconstruct a streetcar loop/major intersection? In comparison the Eglinton Crosstown will have completed major tunneling work within that same time frame.

This is the problem with the city trying to stretch out major projects due to cash flow issues, and quite frankly they should be ashamed with themselves.
Though I agree that many projects DO take too long, the City tries to do as many things at the same time as possible. They seem to manage to coordinate the City-department's ones fairly well (TTC, roads & water) but have FAR less success when Hydro is involved.

Though I agree that many projects DO take too long, the City tries to do as many things at the same time as possible. They seem to manage to coordinate the City-department's ones fairly well (TTC, roads & water) but have FAR less success when Hydro is involved.
4 years to replace tracks though? 4 years of no streetcar service on Lake Shore? I mean come on.

Not that I'm complaining - in an ideal world, streetcars would terminate at Park Lawn and that's it. The bus service west of there is a far better deal, faster and more frequent.

I noticed that the new tracks on The Queensway are very noticeably banked around the curves west of the Kingsway. It doesn't show up that well on video but in person you can clearly tell how the outside rail is superelevated a fair bit.

Last edited:
I noticed that the new tracks on The Queensway are very noticeably banked around the curves west of the Kingsway. It doesn't show up that well on video but you can clearly tell how the outside rail is superelevated a fair bit.

It could be there to help the Flexitys be able to take the turn easier and at aposable higher speed.

It could be there to help the Flexitys be able to take the turn easier and at aposable higher speed.

The TTC will however then decide that its too dangerous or something, and put a slow order on all Flexitys, as they do, further crippling streetcar service.

The TTC will however then decide that its too dangerous or something, and put a slow order on all Flexitys, as they do, further crippling streetcar service.
I doubt that and I think it will probably be more likely that they will do the speed limit for cars or maybe only about 5 or 10 over that.

Currently, the TTC owns 3 different "types" of rail transit. Subway, Streetcar and RT. All the Streetcar lines are grouped together. The Subways and RT are grouped together. AFAIK they are no longer building anymore streetcar lines. They are building LRT; EC, Finch, etc. Are these going to be on their own map?

Currently, the TTC owns 3 different "types" of rail transit. Subway, Streetcar and RT. All the Streetcar lines are grouped together. The Subways and RT are grouped together. AFAIK they are no longer building anymore streetcar lines. They are building LRT; EC, Finch, etc. Are these going to be on their own map?

Cherry St Streetcar? Portlands Expansion? Proposed Kingston Rd Extension? Proposed Parliament Streetcar? East Bayfront LRT (which will run with flexity outlooks)? Bremner streetcar? Proposed Dufferin Streetcar?

They are building LRT; EC, Finch, etc. Are these going to be on their own map?
Current planning seems to point to that the LRT lines will be marked on the system map the same way the current subway and RT lines are. They will also porabbly add them to the maps in the subways as well.

Cherry St Streetcar? Portlands Expansion? Proposed Kingston Rd Extension? Proposed Parliament Streetcar? East Bayfront LRT (which will run with flexity outlooks)? Bremner streetcar? Proposed Dufferin Streetcar?

In the future, the TTC's rail services will be divided by subway, streetcar, and LRT. Their names however are a little shaky as despite as being called "Waterfront LRT, Eastbayfront LRT etc, these will be integrated with the streetcar network, whereas the Finch and Eglinton LRTs will be their own system due to gauge, double ended cabs, and stop spacing. Eglinton (Line 5) and Finch West (Line 6) will be on the TTC subway map as part of the "Rapid Transit Network", whereas so far streetcars will remain separate. It would be great to get streetcars on the subway map somehow however.

In the future, the TTC's rail services will be divided by subway, streetcar, and LRT. Their names however are a little shaky as despite as being called "Waterfront LRT, Eastbayfront LRT etc, these will be integrated with the streetcar network, whereas the Finch and Eglinton LRTs will be their own system due to gauge, double ended cabs, and stop spacing. Eglinton (Line 5) and Finch West (Line 6) will be on the TTC subway map as part of the "Rapid Transit Network", whereas so far streetcars will remain separate. It would be great to get streetcars on the subway map somehow however.

I wouldn't call the Jane LRT, the Eglinton crosstown east of Kennedy (or even Science Centre), or the finch line "Rapid Transit" in their present forms. They need their own representation.

Back