News   May 09, 2024
 468     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 795     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 538     0 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

^ Since Ford has utterly screwed up any plans of subway expansion, there is no reason whatsoever to vote for him.

He could easily get a partial extension of Sheppard subway done. His stubbornness and complete lack of managerial skills are the only reason we are back to unmodified Transit City plan, rather than a more reasonable combo plan.

If we elected Smitherman, at least we would have the Danforth extension to STC in the works.

^ Since Ford has utterly screwed up any plans of subway expansion, there is no reason whatsoever to vote for him.
Bingo. If Ford had a single political bone in his body, he'd have been able to make some kind of deal to build something on Sheppard. Ford may talk the talk, but he doesn't walk the walk. His predecessors (Miller, Lastman) have both delivered far more on subway expansion than Ford has, or is likely to do ... unless his rogue council actually goes ahead with the DRL, or the NYRL against his will.

Believe it or not, but I think the NYRL would be approved by him, but he would probably vote down the DRL because it's "a waste of taxpayers money". Oh the irony in that statement..

But ya, I hope that if council can get anything done in the next 2 years, I hope they get the DRL at least seriously into the planning stages like the yonge extension currently is, but preferably have funding approve and a completion date set for it.

Maybe they'll get around to build the missing Willowdale station (between Yonge & Bayview) on the Sheppard subway, one of these decades. It is roughed in but the NIMBY's didn't want it.

I say the City rezone those properties around the station site for higher density (if they haven't been already), and then charge the condo developers to help fund the construction of the station. It's going to be a local station, not a major station like Bayview or Don Mills.

My personal new favourite number is that the Spadina extension is expected to need a subsidy of $14.2 million a year yet Sheppard is the big money hole.

My personal new favourite number is that the Spadina extension is expected to need a subsidy of $14.2 million a year yet Sheppard is the big money hole.

This is why we need zone fares. Riding into downtown from a field in Vaughan and riding into downtown from Bathurst & Bloor are NOT the same thing, and they shouldn't be charged the same amount.

This is why we need zone fares. Riding into downtown from a field in Vaughan and riding into downtown from Bathurst & Bloor are NOT the same thing, and they shouldn't be charged the same amount.

Yet, why pay another extra fare on TTC buses to go into York Region? If the Spadina subway passengers going into York Region without another fare, why do passengers today have to pay another fare north of Steeles Avenue? Is this going change in the future?

I tend to agree with that.

Although it is nice to operate a flat fare system: it encourages long-range trips on transit, and simplifies the fare collection.

But if the flat-fare approach jeopardizes our ability to operate rapid transit in the remote parts of the city, then zone fares is the lesser evil.

Yet, why pay another extra fare on TTC buses to go into York Region? If the Spadina subway passengers going into York Region without another fare, why do passengers today have to pay another fare north of Steeles Avenue? Is this going change in the future?

I guess you could kind of look at it like TTC riders are paying a zone fare when they cross into YR. Although realistically, most of the ridership in YR is going to come from bus feeder routes, so the double fare will still be paid (on the YRT bus and again on the TTC).

Until a zone fare is implemented across the TTC, it would be pretty hard to charge an extra fare to someone already on the subway.

I tend to agree with that.

Although it is nice to operate a flat fare system: it encourages long-range trips on transit, and simplifies the fare collection.

But if the flat-fare approach jeopardizes our ability to operate rapid transit in the remote parts of the city, then zone fares is the lesser evil.

The way I see it is right now short distance trips are subsidizing long distance trips. Yes, a flat fare is simple, but I think the end goal should be a system that maintains a good quality of service, but is as close to self-sufficient as possible. A fare zone system would go a long way to solving that. In fact, the last year the TTC posted a profit was the last year the fare zone system was in place. Once it was abolished, so was a profitable TTC.

I know it's a bit off-topic, but this is the type of fare zone I'd like to see for the TTC:
Fare Zones.jpg

Attachments

• Fare Zones.jpg
    Fare Zones.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 329
If they went back to this, it would be the time to take a look at integrating with GO. This all presumes Presto anyway. Hamilton, zone 7?

Back