News   Jul 18, 2024
 250     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 686     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 2K     3 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

From Black Creek To Bayview Mt Pleasant it should be underground but Keele to Renforth Laird to Highway 2 should be above ground.
Highway 2? Can we leave fantasy numbers, or what happened in the 1950s out of this ... I don't think the Crosstown is reaching any of the various roads that have been numbered Highway 2 over the years ...

How did we get to talking about the Sheppard Subway in the Eglinton LRT thread, and the Eglinton LRT in the Sheppard Subway thread?

Because our politicians are talking about saving $2 billion by not building an unnecessary tunnel under Eglinton Ave. ... and then use half of it to build an unnecessary tunnel under Sheppard Ave.

That appears to make Transit City rather appetizing now doesn't it...I admit I'm no great shakes at debates, but I'm pretty sure we need to be cost-effective here, and well...the chart said it all.

I just want to know one thing. How much would it cost to convert the Sheppard Subway, as it is right now, to LRT? I can't remember seeing it earlier in this thread or in the Sheppard LRT thread...but as I've said before, IMO that transfer at Don Mills needs to go, whether the line is LRT or subway, and I think it does need to be extended past there in whichever form.

It's a bit confusing as CC and a few others have said that converting it to LRT would be a waste of money, when I am seeing more appeal in it being LRT.

I consider Eglinton and Scarborough Malvern the same thing.
What? It was two separate projects. Under no variant of Transit City was it ever proposed to be able to interline them. The nearest piece of Highway 2 is the other side of Kingston!

Don't confuse people ... what's next, are you going to start calling Danforth, Highway 5 and Browns Line, Highway 27?

http://www.insidetoronto.com/mobile...-crosstown-cash-to-build-sheppard-subway-loop

If Toronto Council and the province agree to change the Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown LRT to run above-ground through Scarborough, there will be $1.5 billion in transit infrastructure money that could potentially be spent somewhere else.
Under the plan put forward by TTC chair Karen Stintz, that money would go to help extend the Sheppard subway to the east, possibly as far as Victoria Park Avenue.

But if York Centre Councillor James Pasternak has his way, the money would go to build a subway along another part of Sheppard: west of Yonge, between the Yonge Sheppard station and Downsview station.

"I ran on a campaign to fix that link and to close it in, and it's my view and certainly the view of many that that's the vital missing link in our small subway system," said Pasternak in an interview Thursday. "It would allow our commuters to go without transfer all the way from Vaughan and loop down to Scarborough."

Pasternak's idea to link up Downsview to Yonge would create a loop that in the Yonge-University line north of Bloor. But that logic will have to go against a long list of other political concerns.

First, the line would cost about $2 billion, which is more money than would actually be freed up by abandoning plans to bury the Crosstown line in Scarborough. And it would have to jump queue ahead of the plan to build a bit of the Sheppard east line that proponents are regarding as a face-saving project to bring Mayor Rob Ford on side.

And there are other infrastructure projects that would also be vying for that $1.5 billion - notably, the mothballed Finch LRT plan, which councillors like Giorgio Mammoliti, Anthony Perruzza and Maria Augimeri would promote.

Pasternak conceded he faces an uphill battle for his plan. He has hopes that funding might come from Ottawa to help finish his project, but when he visited Environment Minister Peter Kent at his corn roast last summer, he was told that if any more subway funding was coming from Ottawa, it would more likely be spent to extend the subway north along Yonge into Kent's Thornhill riding.

"It was a fruitful discussion in his backyard," said Pasternak. "We just have to keep working on it."

That appears to make Transit City rather appetizing now doesn't it...I admit I'm no great shakes at debates, but I'm pretty sure we need to be cost-effective here, and well...the chart said it all.

I just want to know one thing. How much would it cost to convert the Sheppard Subway, as it is right now, to LRT? I can't remember seeing it earlier in this thread or in the Sheppard LRT thread...but as I've said before, IMO that transfer at Don Mills needs to go, whether the line is LRT or subway, and I think it does need to be extended past there in whichever form.

It's a bit confusing as CC and a few others have said that converting it to LRT would be a waste of money, when I am seeing more appeal in it being LRT.

I believe the Metrolinx estimate was around $600 million.

After 23 years, the Almaty Metro, Kazakhstan, at 8.5 km long opens. To fill the trains, trains arrive every 15 minutes. TTC's trains arrive every 5± minutes.

See this link.

theyoungestmetrointheworld-20.jpg

theyoungestmetrointheworld-25.jpg

theyoungestmetrointheworld-26.jpg

theyoungestmetrointheworld-30.jpg

theyoungestmetrointheworld-31.jpg

theyoungestmetrointheworld-34.jpg

theyoungestmetrointheworld-36.jpg

theyoungestmetrointheworld-38.jpg

theyoungestmetrointheworld-39.jpg

theyoungestmetrointheworld-43.jpg

The construction cost is estimated at 101 billion tenge ($1 billion). Kazakhstan used to be part of the U.S.S.R., so we should use them as an example according to some people.

Last edited:
Kazakhstan used to be part of the U.S.S.R., so we should use them as an example according to some people.

I would pay another $1000/year in income taxes for stations that looked a little more like that and a little less like Museum Station. Particularly enjoying the lack of advertising.

That's a rather negative view on the situation, should we just accept whatever the planners give us? Toronto was ready to rip up it's streetcar network until Streetcars for Toronto showed up, same with the Spadina expressway until Jane Jacobs showed up.

it's easy to get politicians to stop a project, but trying to get them to start one is a different matter.

Back