News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 391     0 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

This place is so different since my last visit. Anyways, ran into this today so I figured I may as well post it...

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1066351--ford-plans-to-push-for-more-ttc-cash
The mayor told host Matt Galloway that all parties pledged to work with him but neglected to mention Horwath was alone in agreeing to pick up half the TTC’s operating costs. The NDP leader could potentially force McGuinty to provide the funding.

But Ford will also renew pressure on the premier for $650 million to jump-start construction of the Sheppard subway, a key part of Ford’s transit plan that replaced the provincially funded Transit City routes.

Having trouble attracting private investment, the mayor is demanding the provincial money now, although there is a signed agreement that sees the cash flow only if there is a surplus from the yet-to-be-built Eglinton crosstown line.

Ford is in a far weaker position now than he was when he first came to power -- his poll numbers are in the tank, and "Ford Nation" did nothing to help the Tories in the provincial election. I don't see how he has any sort of "pressure" to bring to bear on McGuinty, or how he can be making "demands".

i see more articles about bringing TC back then anything.
Petition rolled out in effort to save Transit City,
councillor seeks answers from city

i see more articles about bringing TC back then anything.
Petition rolled out in effort to save Transit City,
councillor seeks answers from city
Won't happen.. Even some journalists saw past the optimist of reincarnating Transit City. Maybe in the future some sort of LRT will be built down Finch, but in the short/medium term, the only thing getting built is an underground Eglinton line and nothing on Sheppard.

I would like Sheppard to at least reach Agincourt. Then with all day GO service, Agicourt would become an awesome hub.

I'd like any talk of extending Sheppard put to rest.

The SELRT had the lowest projected ridership of all the TC routes. It's quite baffling how people can support building a subway there when it's obvious that surface LRT was the best they could get. The operating losses brought by an extension - and subsequent fare increases - will hit every TTC rider's wallet hard.

Strip malls, low-density housing, massage parlours, Chinese restaurants...is that really the Sheppard Ave East that SOS wants to "save"?

I would like Sheppard to at least reach Agincourt. Then with all day GO service, Agicourt would become an awesome hub.

even if it did reach agincourt i cant imagine it becoming a hub. however dundas west which intercepts 3go lines and possibly a drl could.

the reason i said east to vic park was because of the congestion around the highway ramp and there is a sizable business community or condo development that could happen. also wasnt the lrt suppose to be underground anyway until consumers? a extra few meters is well worth it to get ti vic park. east of here id agree bus could do fine. btw why doesnt the ttc have a bus jump on the highway from don mills and go straight to stc? as for going west, i think it makes sense since then you could park the trains at wilson. alsi bathurst and sheppard could be a serious redevelopment area. connecting the two lines should also be a priority for northern commuters.

btw why doesnt the ttc have a bus jump on the highway from don mills and go straight to stc?

They don't use the 401 because, well... it's the 401. AFAIK, the highway isn't as dependable on traffic flow where it'll likely render the bus late. Not to mention, accessing it and all, and reaching into the bottleneck at the junction and you're simply adding time anyway. I think the T.T.C. has been reluctant on relying on the limited network of highways to run their services on especially with traffic and construction.
Second, ridership is not necessarily based for A and B. There are riders who get on and off in between along the existing route. Whereas taking the 85 would mean sufficing for a transfer at McCowan preferably and making more stops. Just my understanding about it :)

Last edited:
Jee, I'd take Victoria Park to Downsview over nothing, any day of the week. :/

What boggles my mind is how dumb the system would look like after this spadina extension. The transit map is just screaming to connect Sheppard to Downsview.

maybe scarborough should consider moving its office buildings from around stc to vic park. thats never going to happen. but then again neither is a full sheppard subway. the real problem i see is that unless yonge and sheppard all of a sudden sees a huge growth in office space, when the drl is eventually built there will be less and less reason to use the sheppard line to go east and west. everyone will be heading where the jobs are, downtown! if yonge and sheppard actually saw growthin the other hand we might see more people using the line to get there. im scared as soon as a drl hits sheppard the numbers will drop down to bus levels. thats my main objection about extending it.

Jee, I'd take Victoria Park to Downsview over nothing, any day of the week. :/

What boggles my mind is how dumb the system would look like after this spadina extension. The transit map is just screaming to connect Sheppard to Downsview.

although i agree and to make the system have less transfers i agree with the extension the reality is we need to plan based on numbers not on what looks good on a map. my first preference would have been a crosstown sheppard lrt with the sheppard subway being converted.

even if it did reach agincourt i cant imagine it becoming a hub. however dundas west which intercepts 3go lines and possibly a drl could.

Why not? Agincourt would rival STC as a hub if it had a subway line terminating there and all-day GO service to the core. It's far more conveniently located for most of northern Scarborough.

Back