News   Jul 18, 2024
 890     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 794     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 583     0 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

I did not mean to minimize the training that they have. I wonder if perhaps with modern technology, and for commuter trains where help is alway close at hand, perhaps some type of reduced training may be acceptable for certain trains. It is probably similar to pilots in a way since 99% of the time the plain can almost fly itself - but for that 1%, a trained pilot is essential.

Absolutely, positively......no.

All fixed-wing pilots have to go through the same amount of training, regardless of what or where they are flying. And it is very, very thorough and comprehensive. This means that even the guy at Air Canada flying a state-of-the-art A330 is capable of flying a simpler-than-a-board Chipmunk.

The same goes for railways. It doesn't matter where they operate - there is a huge list of rules and regulations that they must know and memorize before they can even step foot on the equipment. This way, they know all of the same rules and regulations as the guys operating the 10,000 foot, 15,000 ton freight train coming the opposite way. Then, and only then, can they think about learning the peculiarities of their equipment and territories.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Absolutely, positively......no.

All fixed-wing pilots have to go through the same amount of training, regardless of what or where they are flying. And it is very, very thorough and comprehensive. This means that even the guy at Air Canada flying a state-of-the-art A330 is capable of flying a simpler-than-a-board Chipmunk.

The same goes for railways. It doesn't matter where they operate - there is a huge list of rules and regulations that they must know and memorize before they can even step foot on the equipment. This way, they know all of the same rules and regulations as the guys operating the 10,000 foot, 15,000 ton freight train coming the opposite way. Then, and only then, can they think about learning the peculiarities of their equipment and territories.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I know I am fighting a losing battle here, but I will try one more angle.

1) You need an structural engineer to design a building, but one is not not needed for smaller buildings.
2) You need a doctor to prescribe medication, but others (pharmacist) can renew prescritions.
3) An engineer is required to operate a train - but is it required (not legally, but to ensure adequate safety) for all cases? Is the same training required if only one operator (GO) uses the line? Is the same level of training required if the trains become shorter? Do those maintenance pick-up truck vehicles, require a similarly trained engineer when they travel along the tracks?

I could argue that point #1 and #2 above lead to a small decrease in the level of safety, but as a society it was decided that it was worth the risk. Otherwise there would be a shortage of professionals since they would be requried for all aspects of work, instead of where they are needed most. This would leads to unacceptable delays which could affect the progress of society or lead to safety issues of its own (i.e. overworked professionals doing mundane work may make additional errors, or merely due to delays).

Thank goodness for clarity: Council has decided, and Council is supreme.

Scarborough finally has rapid transit coming. Time to turn the page and look to starting the DRL sometime around 2015.

I feel sorry for those east of Rouge River Drive West. In order to get to the Yonge Subway, they would have to take a bus, then the SELRT and then the Sheppard Subway.

So, who's irrelevant now?

Lame duck doesn't even begin to describe the rest of this term.

Last edited:
So if it was a win for LRT by 5 votes why is Doug Ford saying they won by 2 votes. And then he goes on to say Mamoliti was away - so what? Why would he be away on an important vote?

Well, if there is one constant it is the amount of misinformation provided - natural to see it after the vote. Besides, Moeser is also away and he is for LRT, so the whole legitimacy argument is a bit moot.

AoD

I feel sorry for those east of Rouge River Drive West. In order to get to the Yonge Subway, they would have to take a bus, then the SELRT and then the Sheppard Subway.

More misinformation. People living east of Rouge River Drive will have two options. Given the SRT will be rebuilt and extended to Sheppard, they will be able to either take the SRT continuously to Yonge (as it will be interlined with Eglinton) or take the SELRT across to Don Mills.

More misinformation. People living east of Rouge River Drive will have two options. Given the SRT will be rebuilt and extended to Sheppard, they will be able to either take the SRT continuously to Yonge (as it will be interlined with Eglinton) or take the SELRT across to Don Mills.

The SELRT is only to Conlins Road. I live at Dean Park and need to get to Leslie and Sheppard

So if it was a win for LRT by 5 votes why is Doug Ford saying they won by 2 votes. And then he goes on to say Mamoliti was away - so what? Why would he be away on an important vote?

If two councillors switched their vote from LRT to subway and Mamo voted then the result would have been the opposite, or a tie rather.

Back