News   Jul 18, 2024
 885     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 791     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 583     0 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

I wouldn't try to shoot down an individuals proposals on transit because of his other political views, since one has nothing to do with the other. Also, as has been noted many of those quotations are unconfirmed, and I can see how a blog named 'big city lib' would try to trash their conservative opponent.

Political views aside, this guy claims that his 'organization' lobbies for the rights of all Canadian Hindus, yet looks to have virtually no actual membership - or at least, very little. I could start an 'organization' lobbying for the rights of white suburbanites, and even though there are millions of such Canadians, if I don't gain membership or even present my organization and cause in a professional manner (for example, having a homepage which displays best in Netscape Navigator 3.0), then I'm just some guy with some invisible organization. Giving this guy airtime hurts the credibility of the outlets which let him speak. But seeing as it is mostly the Sun, they would need to have credibility to begin with.

I wouldn't try to shoot down an individuals proposals on transit because of his other political views, since one has nothing to do with the other. Also, as has been noted many of those quotations are unconfirmed, and I can see how a blog named 'big city lib' would try to trash their conservative opponent.

I was only wondering why someone who is (unrefutedly) alleged to have said such things has been accepted as a political ally on any subject. I doubt David Ahenakew would be acceptable to Ford if he were to pledge the support of First Nations to the "streetcar" cause.

Also, if the quotes are false, then one would think Mr. Banerjee would have sought their removal.

Fair comment.

And I don't think people have been shooting down proposals based on the politics of the person proposing it. A long-standing Conservative by the name of Karen Stintz seems to be getting support from all parts of the political spectrum on her Sheppard transit proposals, and not just from the right.

And many here have spoken in support of Rob Ford's various proposals some mornings to raise taxes to build subways on Sheppard... before he changes his mind in the afternoon. (which I can't fathom ... does he want the taxes when he's been drinking, and change his mind when he sobers up, or is it the thought of taxes that drives him to drink?)

Last edited:
Ideas should be based on their merit, not on the person proposing them. I read something like that somewhere once, and it's especially true now.

Ideas should be based on their merit, not on the person proposing them. I read something like that somewhere once, and it's especially true now.

Absoutely. A racist PhD in physics may be very good in physics, despite his racism. One has nothing to do with the other.

These people simply have no answer to the sensible ideas of Cold Clear Logic. Thus, they are attacking his background. ANd they are too blind to see they are damaging their own credibility by doing so.

This guy has more credibility than most. He has been published on transit and energy matters in the National and Financial Post, and in the former case he wrote specifically on the issue of subways.

Let's address the points now, shall we?

Having LRTs in dedicated lanes down the center of streets forces riders to cross busy streets to access the vehicles, slows down transit by making LRTs stop at every light, and takes away scarce traffic lanes for vehicles.

First - riders, depending on their access patterns, could very well have to cross busy streets to access transit even if it is a subway line; properly implemented LRT lines will have signal priority that would minimize stopping at intersections - which they would have to do anyways for on/off loading purposes depending on the location of the stop; and under the current plan no traffic lanes are sacrificed for the proposed lines.

Furthermore, Toronto’s warm summers and ice cold winters means above ground tracks have to be torn up and replaced frequently at enormous expense and inconvenience to all concerned (ask College Street and Queen Street denizens who have endured this three times in just the last decade).

How many times have the Spadina "LRT" been torn up and replaced since 95?

Most cities in the US and Europe with LRTs (except Minneapolis which has one very small LRT) have much more temperate climate than us.

The Central Corridor under construction in Minneapolis is 18km; Denver has 63km of light rail lines; Calgary C-Train has 48km. All have climates that are harsh, if not harsher than ours.

Transit City supporters claim world class cities often have mixed systems of subways and LRTs. True, but the devil is always in the details, and these LRT fans need to look at the size of the cities and exact proportion of subways and LRTs. Smaller cities with populations of approximately a million (like Zurich and Charlotte), have big LRT systems and small subways, while larger dense burghs like London and Paris have huge subways and minimal LRT.

Our metropolitan region (5 million plus) is much closer in size and density to Madrid and Paris than Zurich. And Paris has 215 km of subway and only 30 km of streetcars. Toronto’s puny subway is 70 km long and highly inadequate for the size and density of our region. We need to have a minimally adequate subway network before we even think of LRT, and any scarce dollars should be directed to subways.

And where are the dense areas in London and Paris, what densities are we talking about relative to where are the subways located, and what's the linkage between said lines with the suburban hinterland, and their prioritization of the construction of said lines?

Replacing bus service with LRT will merely replace one transfer with another. The Sheppherd stub subway is under used because it ends too early; extending it to Scarborough Town Center will certainly boost ridership, as well as eliminate that ridiculous transfer at Fairview.

And yet there is no discussion on converting an underused stub subway into LRT in order to eliminate that transfer.

The Toronto Star recently published statistics showing that employment levels near Scarborough Centre and North York Centre have not been as high as expected, so a full subway linking those two nodes would not generate much ridership.

This shows that the Star has no clue as to how transit works. A subway will not be used only to carry employees to town centers; huge shopping malls and massive residential complexes also exist at such centers. People use subways not just to get to work, but also for shopping, entertainment, and other needs.

Suggesting that a subway linking two centers is useless because employment there is lower than expected is similar to claiming that building the Yonge and University subway lines was unnecessary because employment in Toronto’s financial core dipped during the recession.

Note the equating of "transit" with "subways" - is subway the only valid way to serve that need? And is the said individual comparing the ridership of Yonge line to downtown to even the most optimistic projections for Sheppard?

Splitting the savings between a Sheppherd and Finch LRT is the worst possible solution. It will satisfy neither Etobicoke riders along Finch West nor Scarborough riders east of the DVP.

How does Finch LRT not satisfy Etobicoke riders, who had to contend with a) buses and b) nothing else for the forseeable future?

Mayor Ford is quite right: any money available should be devoted to subway expansion and not squandered on LRT. Areas like Finch West which clamour for better solutions than buses would do better to wait for a real solution (subways) in the future than an LRT which won’t do the job.

Numbers please.

If billions of dollars are spent today on an LRT for Finch, then people in North Etobicoke can kiss goodbye to any hope for future subway service. The best way to tell these people that they are worthless is to permanently doom their future subway aspirations in return for a quick band aid which barely improves their current service.

As if Bloor and Yonge lines aren't streetcars (not even LRT) lines to begin with. Where the need arises, transportation infrastructure will be upgraded.

AoD

Last edited:
Following the discussion, Eric Miller said that door to door travel time would be about the same, since it would be easier to access frequent LRT stops when compared to limited underground subway stations. While this may be true, I would like to rebuttal that road traffic in the suburbs tends to move faster than in denser areas. Therefore it could be argued that to remain competitive with cars, having a limited number of surface stops might be best.

There is a shortage of engineers to drive trains.

Shouldn't driving a train be easier than a bus?

A train follows a linear path - essentially it only goes in the X direction, with very occassional gradual changes in direction.

A bus has cross traffic and continuous lane changing to contend with - it goes in the X and Y direction.

A plain can travel in any of the 3 dimensions, X, Y, and Z, and is subject to the weather much more than the other modes.

Is this a union thing or are there other complexities to driving a train that I do not see - yes the responsibility is signifant due to the speeds and number of passangers.

A train follows a linear path - essentially it only goes in the X direction, with very occassional gradual changes in direction.

A bus has cross traffic and continuous lane changing to contend with - it goes in the X and Y direction.

A plain can travel in any of the 3 dimensions, X, Y, and Z, and is subject to the weather much more than the other modes.

Is this a union thing or are there other complexities to driving a train that I do not see - yes the responsibility is signifant due to the speeds and number of passangers.

Extensive training for train drivers on issues like where emergency exits are, how to evacuate passengers in the tunnel, etc. Also a train cab might have more buttons or functions than a bus does

Extensive training for train drivers on issues like where emergency exits are, how to evacuate passengers in the tunnel, etc. Also a train cab might have more buttons or functions than a bus does

Also, buses have only 1 engine. If it fails, the bus stays still. Streetcars have 2 motors, one motor can be disabled while the remaining motor can "tow" the streetcar back to the yard (empty of course). Heavy rail has multi-motors, so is one of the motors is disabled, it can also be "towed" back to the yard (empty). The drivers have to be trained on how to operate them properly.

Denzil Minnan-Wong just stood up saying that he met with representatives from Taipei, citing their 10 subway lines. What he failed to mention was that Taipei's population density is over twice that of Toronto's.

Is this a union thing or are there other complexities to driving a train that I do not see - yes theresponsibility is signifant due to the speeds and number of passangers.

metrolinx pay for driving trains is lower than via

I have an idea. Memorize all of this: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/railsafety/rules-tco93.htm and then let us know whether you still think it's easier or not.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I have an idea. Memorize all of this: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/railsafety/rules-tco93.htm and then let us know whether you still think it's easier or not.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I did not mean to minimize the training that they have. I wonder if perhaps with modern technology, and for commuter trains where help is alway close at hand, perhaps some type of reduced training may be acceptable for certain trains. It is probably similar to pilots in a way since 99% of the time the plain can almost fly itself - but for that 1%, a trained pilot is essential.

Back