News   Jul 18, 2024
 316     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 474     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 659     1 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

Torontonians don't use GO to get Downtown. What's your alternative then?
You simply disagree without saying why and how you would fix it.

My alternative would be to dramatically improve GO service, make a proper connection at Leslie-Oriole, and integrate the GO fares with the TTC within the 416. Then people from Scarborough and North York could get downtown faster than looping out to Dufferin and back on a local-stop subway, and we won't have spent a billion or two on a subway line that will be sadly underutilized outside of rush hour.

A few councilors with family and friends were roaming the line today, talking to the riders why the subway should not be built. A couple of Ford supporters who have moved to the white light side in supporting LRT.

All of the earth under to GO overpass has been removed. I would say off hand, late June or July, part of the new eastbound underpass will be open to traffic. I noticed the walkway under the overpass is going to have a roof of all things and never seen this before. Every odd for only a short section.

I was talking to the sales people for Emerald City today and they said next to no one who are buying units are going to use the subway, as they want the 401. Surprise. Surprise, not.

Once the RH line gets upgraded and have all day service, you will see more riders using it that currently use the subway.

I saw less than 100 people get off a train a Don Mills at noon and only counted 75 getting on.

An hour later at Bayview, I would say no more than 150 riders going west.

I think she's trying to flatter the mayor, get him onto her side and support her compromise. Regarding Ford's fiscal capabilities, his management of the last budget and the money he's wasted has so far (KPMG, Gary Webster, Jarvis, Portland consultants) casts some doubts on his ability to manage money. Of course we're beginng to get off track so things like these might be better discussed in the Toronto Issues forum.

And today Rob Ford on The City is telling listeners there is an important vote on Mar 21 and for listeners to call their local councillors to say they want subways. Ya, thats right, i will be calling my local councillor to say build a subway I will never use up on Sheppard. He is stuck on that message.

And Doug Ford is contradicting himself. Today he said how can they build a subway at Jane and hwy 7 (which I agree with him) with only a walmart up there when there are 625,000 people in Scarborough and that Sobara had to declare a conflict of interest (he has property up there along the line). Then in the same sentence says he is all for development and once subway was announced for Jane and 7 the developers started going up there and all these condos or whatever was sold..... Guess to him build it first and then development will follow, Its true there are 625,000 people in Scarborough yet Vaughan has less than 250,00 people and there is a line going up there.

And Doug Ford says he was going along St. Clair and saw 4 people standing waiting for streetcar outside and thinking that others who have subways get to wait somewhere warm . And what about the people waiting for buses? Is there something the rest of us don't know. Where do they wait?

I'm not sure anybody's posted this document that overlays the proposed TC and subway routes onto 2011 population densities by census tract.

http://www.citiescentre.utoronto.ca/Assets/Cities+Centre+Digital+Assets/pdfs/about/transit_sorensen.pdf

Sheppard's density is higher than I thought to Agincourt, but in a very narrow band on the Avenue. And a Don Mills line north of Eglinton looks pointless. Seeing the map, a DRL (or S-bahn) along the central rail corridors looks like a complete no-brainer.

None of this is news to people here (except a few who don't get the message :)) but seeing the map is quite interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure anybody's posted this document that overlays the proposed TC and subway routes onto 2011 population densities by census tract.

http://t.co/zCWiwKkj

Sheppard's density is higher than I thought to Agincourt, but in a very narrow band on the Avenue. And a Don Mills line north of Eglinton looks pointless. Seeing the map, a DRL (or S-bahn) along the central rail corridors looks like a complete no-brainer.

None of this is news to people here (except a few who don't get the message :)) but seeing the map is quite interesting.

Don Mills north of Eglinton definitely is not pointless. This is a significant employment area (much more employment than residential), the #25 bus is packed and the DVP is chronically congested between Eglinton and 401 almost 24/7. Plus a Don Mills subway would get people from the east who are going downtown off the Yonge line.

Don Mills north of Eglinton definitely is not pointless. This is a significant employment area (much more employment than residential), the #25 bus is packed and the DVP is chronically congested between Eglinton and 401 almost 24/7.

Sorry. The map has population/ha not (pop+jobs).

And Doug Ford says he was going along St. Clair and saw 4 people standing waiting for streetcar outside and thinking that others who have subways get to wait somewhere warm . And what about the people waiting for buses? Is there something the rest of us don't know. Where do they wait?

Has this idiot ever actually taken a subway? The tunnels are almost as cold as standing outside.

But what's that? He was able to drive through the nightmare of St Clair and come out unscathed? Considering that according to him and his joined-at-the-brain co-mayor, he should've been ripped asunder by roaming packs of wolves during that trip, since my neighborhood is apparently some amalgamation of the post-apocalyptic nightmare detailed in the Terminator movies, and Darfur.

I think if you want people to take Sheppard downtown instead of transferring at Yonge, it needs to be faster than transferring. By removing some stations on the Spadina line, such as Wilson, Lawrence West, Glencarin, Dupont, and Spadina North it could allow the line to reach highway speeds and reach Union at the same time as the Yonge line does.

Yes, if you remove a third of the stations the Spadina line would be very fast. It would be faster still if it didn't stop at all between Downsview and Union!

Or have Sheppard as a branch off from the Yonge Line instead.

Is that possible? I thought the current design would make this impossible. If we could spur this line, even if having some trains go from Don Mills to Downsview via Union (skipping Sheppard Yonge) and others running between Don Mills and Yonge, that could work too. It would allow the line to actually go somewhere rather than be a stubway.

My alternative would be to dramatically improve GO service, make a proper connection at Leslie-Oriole, and integrate the GO fares with the TTC within the 416. Then people from Scarborough and North York could get downtown faster than looping out to Dufferin and back on a local-stop subway, and we won't have spent a billion or two on a subway line that will be sadly underutilized outside of rush hour.

Great, let's do the same on the Richmond Hill line and save on the Yonge extension as well.

Yes, if you remove a third of the stations the Spadina line would be very fast. It would be faster still if it didn't stop at all between Downsview and Union!

The Oriole GO train station is 1 km south of Sheppard, at the 401/Leslie interchange. It was proposed to relocate the GO station closer to the Leslie station with a direct passage between them, but didn't happen. If they did (or could do in the future under the direction of Metrolinx), it would provide a better and faster travel time to Union. If there were a better way to transfer without paying a whole new fare.

Of course, with only 4 trains (every ½ hour) in the morning going southbound and only 5 trains (every ½ hour) in the afternoon going northbound, at the moment, improvement is greatly needed with GO first.

Back