News   Aug 27, 2024
 728     2 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 540     0 

TTC: Queens Quay East BRT (Unofficial proposal)

What would have been the alignment of this LRT?

The eastern section would be the same as what being built for the west section. It would run from Bay St to a loop near Parliament St until Cherry St got built. The loop would be scrap after Cherry St line got extended south of the underpass.

The existing portal would be rebuilt as a T to allow both lines to use the existing revamp Union loop as well have the ability to run as an east-west line bypassing Union Loop.

Here's a 2009 QQE Streetcar Plan and Environmental Assessment.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-21654.pdf

and image of the Bay/Union Streetcar Loop

ReconfiguredStreetcareLoop.png

I don't see how Rob Ford would have personally asked for a BRT. He probably thinks 'BRT' is some kind of sandwich.

I'm sorry, but that comment is just beneath the intelligence of this board. If he thought BRT was a sandwich, he would have asked for a dozen.

That Bremner LRT is the most mysterious route in Toronto. The supposed reserved space in the ACC basement, the questionably wide ROW on Bremner, the question of where portal would go... I just can't see it ever happening.

This issue would be so much simpler if at least some downtown streetcars were double end double side. They could run into straight-end terminal tracks which would take up so much less space that the loop which will have to be dug out under massively important infrastructure, with accessibility-friendly straight platforms. Now, the Union digdown does show you can do amazing things when you want to, but the cost will surely be eyewatering and the result... meh.

This issue would be so much simpler if at least some downtown streetcars were double end double side. They could run into straight-end terminal tracks which would take up so much less space that the loop which will have to be dug out under massively important infrastructure, with accessibility-friendly straight platforms. Now, the Union digdown does show you can do amazing things when you want to, but the cost will surely be eyewatering and the result... meh.

The loop at Union is already there, what needs to be added is extra platforms and tracks which will still use the existing loop. No benefit at Union Station would be gained from using double ended cars.

Voltz:

Actually there is - by arranging the LRT at Union in the form of a terminus station, you can probably gain clarity and a lot of efficiency for boarding/unloading (vs. that really convoluted scheme they've cooked up). And if there is a mechanical failure when a vehicle is stopped at the platform, it only takes out the use of the latter, not the entire loop.

AoD

A mechanical failure in the loop would take the whole station out, but a failure at one of the convoluted platforms would only take out that platform. That's the strength of the convoluted plan - all of the platforms work independently.

Voltz:

Actually there is - by arranging the LRT at Union in the form of a terminus station, you can probably gain clarity and a lot of efficiency for boarding/unloading (vs. that really convoluted scheme they've cooked up). And if there is a mechanical failure when a vehicle is stopped at the platform, it only takes out the use of the latter, not the entire loop.

AoD

Construction wise there would be little or no benefit from a terminus style station as it would likely take up the same area, which is the type of benefit I was referring to. There are locations in such a station where a train can break down and block everything; such as in crossover tracks.

Voltz:

A termini station arrangement might take up more space, but there will be significant gains in boarding efficiency, which is the weak point of the existing arrangement and current plans. You can't eliminate single point failures, but I highly doubt that the vehicle will break down and get stuck while moving right over the crossover tracks.

AoD

Last edited:
Voltz:

A termini station arrangement might take up more space, but there will be significant gains in boarding efficiency, which is the weak point of the existing arrangement and current plans. You can't eliminate single point failures, but I highly doubt that the vehicle will break down and get stuck while moving right over the crossover tracks.

AoD

And even if it did, the solution would be the same as today - take the following car and use it to push the disabled to a location that is out of the way.

We're not talking about platforms out of service for days or weeks, just minutes.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Voltz:

AoD

I assume you are talking about a centre platform terminal similar to a subway terminal? I don't see the advantage of such a terminal in terms of loading efficiency compared with the current plans posted above, the streetcars are still loading from straight platforms with each route having its own platform, and the streetcars will not be held up by or hold up other routes.

The big issue would be operation if the Bremner line was built, that should not be.

Even TTC see the Bremmer line would have an impact on both QQ lines at full built out and full 12,000/hr riders from the east section.

Going to an underground termini station is a waste of money and no room to do it right here. You need 2 platforms for 4 tracks. Then the cars need to be duel end and that is not in the cards at this time.

The plan is good for today, but not 15-25 years down the road.

Time TTC think like some Europe systems, as they have better ways to deal with this station.

If you want to do the termini station, better off closing Bay Street off and putting the line on the surface as proposed a number of times since 2005. It is also cheaper to do. It would also bring back the old Bay St line to Bloor St.

Back