News   Jul 15, 2024
 96     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 502     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 605     1 

TTC: Pape Station Renovation

If there is such concern about fire safety, maybe some additional exits could be built from platform level of some of the stations. It's my understanding that this was the main reason an exit was built to Walmer Road from the west end of the Spadina station (Bloor platform), a few years ago.

It struck me for many years that I would not have wanted to be caught in a fire at Dundas Station, where the only exit was a narrow stairway up to Yonge Street, to a narrow sidewalk which was obstructed by the hoardings at Metropolis. Thankfully things are better now that they have the newer stairway to Dundas Square.

Has any system other than Hong Kong retrofitted stations with platform gates?

A number of Asian subway systems, plus the Paris Metro, have retrofitted platform gates...

The barriers in Hong Kong are referred to as platform screen doors rather than "gates" because the screen that the doors are installed into go from floor to ceiling. Gates usually only go up to shoulder height, and are placed there for safety reasons more than for A/C or smoke separation reasons.

796px-HK_MTR_DisneyResortLine_Sunny_Bay_platform_trains.JPG

Hong Kong Disneyland Resort Line with shoulder-height gates

1262.jpg

Taipei Metro

The full list of systems with platform gates is here.

Obs. Walt:

If there is such concern about fire safety, maybe some additional exits could be built from platform level of some of the stations. It's my understanding that this was the main reason an exit was built to Walmer Road from the west end of the Spadina station (Bloor platform), a few years ago.

The Spadina Extension EA also highlighted potential standalone emergency exit points along the way.

It struck me for many years that I would not have wanted to be caught in a fire at Dundas Station, where the only exit was a narrow stairway up to Yonge Street, to a narrow sidewalk which was obstructed by the hoardings at Metropolis. Thankfully things are better now that they have the newer stairway to Dundas Square.

All the stations from Union to Yonge-Bloor are ticking time-bombs. I shudder to think what a conflagaration at the latter during rush hour would entail, with so little crush-space and continually unloading trains one level down...

AoD

Platform doors are a fantastic idea at the TTC's surface stations. It would make the subway much more comfortable for both people on the train and waiting at the station. I remember that when I used to ride the subway up to North York, the entire train would be absolutely frigid after stopping at Rosedale and Davisville. It costs a lot to then blast the heaters to re-warm the car.

They seriously need to give those stations a facelift. They all look like public toilets.

Glad they're doing Dufferin next because that's my station.

Platform doors are a fantastic idea at the TTC's surface stations.

Start with the SRT. Since the line is automated (or semi-automated) it would be easy to line up the train doors with the doors on the platform.

^ STC station is also the most dangerously overcrowded station in the whole system, so barriers would be prudent there.

Went to the open house on the Pape Station renovations last night at Centennial's Carlaw campus. The notice for the open house arrived in our mailbox yesterday, the day of the event, so I am not sure what kind of turn-out they had (I was there at the beginning and could not stay long) given the short notice period.

Did not get a chance to speak to any of the project team, but the exhibit boards largely showed the same sort of drawings that have already been linked to on this thread.

The one interesting thing that was mentioned is that final design decisions are still being made, particularly in respect of finishes, look, signage, landscaping, etc. There will be another open house in the autumn to present their design choices.

So, there still is a chance to advocate for the retention of the TTC font.

I bumped into a neighbour later in the evening, who also happened to have attended the open house. She asked one of the project team members how they intended on avoiding the never-ending Broadview construction fiasco with the Pape renovations. Apparently, the project team member was puzzled by the question.

From the Post:

Subway stations to get $100M makeover
Pape, Kipling On List; Better Lighting, Landscaping For The Nine Ugliest
Mark Medley, National Post
Published: Friday, July 13, 2007
Some of Toronto's ugliest subway stations are about to get extreme makeovers.

The TTC will spend more than $100-million over the next five years both on structural improvements for the nine stations and updated finishes to walls, floors and ceilings, brighter and energy-efficient lighting, improved landscaping and public art that reflects their neighbourhoods.

"If you talk to riders," said TTC chairman Adam Giambrone, "they want facilities that don't make them want to throw their nose up. They want places that are pleasant."

Mr. Giambrone made the announcement yesterday at Pape Station, where a $20-million upgrade is to be done by 2010.

"As you can tell, walking up through the station, despite the best efforts of our dedicated staff who work on these stations to keep them in a state of good repair but also in a state of cleanliness ... at some point, stations need to be redone."

Other stations are to undergo major upgrades:

-Victoria Park: The $46.4-million upgrade, to be completed in 2010, will see the replacement of the bus terminal and relocated station entrances.

-Kipling and Islington: At a cost of more than $55-million, renovations will see a new interregional bus terminal for GO Transit and Transit Mississauga (at Kipling), new entrances, and the demolition of an existing bus terminal (at Islington).

Two other stations --Dufferin and Bloor-Yonge -- will undergo similar renovations, but design and costs have not been determined.

Said Mr. Giambrone: "There [is] money already established in the TTC budget for this project, so this does not require additional funds and it has all been approved by the commission."

Addtionally, the TTC is chipping in $1.25-million toward the "renaissance" of St. Patrick, Osgoode and Museum stations. Orginally announced in November, 2005, these are set to become theme stations.

Work has already begun on Museum, which will have a new "museum" look by year's end, while Patrick will adopt an art gallery motif and Osgoode will be dressed up for the opera.

Waiting for a bus at Pape Station, Earl Hexter, 32, said the station needs to be cleaned up.

"It's ugly. It's one of the most disgusting-looking stations in the city."

Upon seeing the rendering of Pape, he was visibly impressed: "Really cool. Trees, everything, the whole aspect is wicked."

mmedley@nationalpost.com

AoD

I think its a joke they are spending money on the museum, St Patrick and Osgood stations at the same time they threatening a fare hike because they have no money. While I agree that many stations need to be cleaned up, covering columns with cheesy coffins and fake artifacts is just lame.

9 best:

Downsview (2 escalator rides to buses, generous interior, natural lighting)
Dupont
St. Clair West
Eglinton West
Yonge (of Sheppard/Yonge)
Wellesley (most integrated into urban environment, nice tilework)
Old Mill
Castle Frank
Bessarion

9 worst

Dundas (yellow tiles, New York city IRT no-mezzanine layout, solo entranceway - this one is the pits)
College (horrendously cramped layout; only 1 four ft wide stairwell in ea direction)
Yonge (of Bloor/Yonge)
Islington
St. George
Union
Dundas West (stairs on the furthest side, cramped mezzanine)
Eglinton (cramped mezzanine, horrible walk to new bus terminal)
Warden

Back