News   Jul 16, 2024
 118     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 276     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

And the Brown Line in Chicago could still be considered to me "mass" transit, even though certain sections of it are not rapid.

Today, the TTC is planning to announce the ability to use credit and debit cards to purchase transit fares.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ke-announcement-about-transit-fares-1.2874524

While I am not against the notion of allowing riders to pay by Credit/Debit, I can't wait to see the lineup increase in length - most can't do it fast enough even if they life depended on it.

And technically you can already use both - at the pass vending machine.

AoD

News Release

TTC to accept debit/credit for fare purchases at all subway stations

December 16, 2014

Toronto Mayor John Tory, Toronto Transit Commission Chair Josh Colle and TTC CEO Andy Byford, today announced that starting Jan. 1, 2015, TTC customers will be able to purchase fares at all collector booths, at all subway stations, using their debit or credit cards. The TTC is also exploring a wave-and-pay option for a single cash fare at all collector booths for later in 2015.

Customers will now be able to purchase 10 or more tokens or tickets, as well as any Metropass or Day Pass, at the TTC's 69 subway and Scarborough RT stations using their debit or credit card. A new point-of-sale system was added and tested this year to ensure inventory control and reconciliation, and is in operation at the majority of stations today. The remainder will come online in the next two weeks. In late 2012, the TTC added debit and credit capabilities for Metropass purchases only at all of its stations.

"I am committed to cutting transit congestion and a big part of that is modernizing the way our system operates," said Toronto Mayor John Tory. "I am thrilled to announce riders will be able to use their debit and credit cards at subway stations in the new year. It's a long-awaited step that I have personally advocated for, and will make commuting more convenient for all TTC riders."

"I am very pleased that TTC passengers will finally be able to purchase fares using debit and credit cards," said TTC Chair Josh Colle. "The TTC will continue to enhance service and look for more ways of improving the customer experience for riders."

With the PRESTO farecard implementation underway, tokens, tickets and Metropasses will eventually be phased out. Until then, customers have told the TTC they want more convenient and modern payment options for all fare purchases. In addition to customer convenience, this change also reduces the amount of cash in the system and helps create greater efficiencies for the TTC.

Long overdue - I just hope that the riders are ready to wake up from their halycon days (because I have a feeling some will be in for more than a rude shock)

AoD
I think that the TTC have been working on this for several months. If I remember right the reason we did not have this sooner was a lack of electric and data outlets at all the collector booths. Good to see it finally here but not really John Tory's doing.

While I am not against the notion of allowing riders to pay by Credit/Debit, I can't wait to see the lineup increase in length - most can't do it fast enough even if they life depended on it.

And technically you can already use both - at the pass vending machine.

AoD

They've had available it for passes for maybe at least two years now.
Wonder why it's taken so long to get to other fare methods.

It's been a while since I've been to Vancouver, but last time I was there the maps on board the SkyTrain and Canada Line looked like this:

skytrain-map-cropped.jpg

(This version is cropped for some reason. The actual version also shows the Horseshoe Bay and Tsawwassen ferry terminals.)

The focus is not simply on "Rapid Transit" but also on key regional destinations that people may frequently need to get to. In Vancouver's case, this includes SFU, UBC, Tsawwassen, and Horseshoe Bay.

What the TTC has done isn't unheard of. It will only make things easier for travellers who aren't familiar with the system.

(Now the TTC's graphic design is another matter altogether. For one, why is the airport dot bigger than a subway station dot?)

Attachments

• skytrain-map-cropped.jpg
    skytrain-map-cropped.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 8,317
Last edited:
With regards to Sheppard going one-man operation, in the UK seems to be associated with the provision of CCTVs at the end of the platform, which the driver uses to ensure that everyone has safely boarded. In some places, the TV screens are within the driver cab.

Here's the best pic I could find:
EDGWAREROAD.jpg

Is this the plan for Sheppard?

Attachments

• EDGWAREROAD.jpg
    EDGWAREROAD.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 1,748
It crosses a few intersections at grade, regularly hitting cars driven by people who aren't paying attention to the crossing. Hilarious setup for a 3rd rail based system, but I don't think it meets the definition of rapid transit provided by that wiki page.

Calgary's C-Train LRT crosses many, if not a majority, of streets at grade, with railway-spec crossings that provide 100% transit priority. It's rapid transit. The outer ends of the CTA's Brown and Pink Lines are the same, yet they are still rapid transit.

Calgary's C-Train LRT crosses many, if not a majority, of streets at grade, with railway-spec crossings that provide 100% transit priority. It's rapid transit. The outer ends of the CTA's Brown and Pink Lines are the same, yet they are still rapid transit.

Not sure what you are arguing. Yes, those are obviously rapid transit and Wikipedia's definition is obviously wrong. Again, I was using the Brown Line as an example of obvious rapid transit that breaks definition another person (long forgotten) provided.

I also like to use Quebec's funicular to break these kinds of strict definitions (it clearly isn't rapid but it is electric, rail based, and a fully dedicated ROW). The funicular in Haifa probably is rapid transit. If you tell me motors need to be onboard I'll mention the "Wings of Tatev" which is about the same length as Sheppard, much faster (~32km/h including stops), though only has 20k riders per day.

TL;DR: Creating a strict definition of rapid transit is a fools errand. Maps should contain things that are of the most help to customers.

Last edited:

Back