News   Jul 16, 2024
 343     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 453     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

You all seem to be forgetting why the TTC might want to add the 192 bus to the subway map - it is to show that this is an easy way to get to and from the airport. If all express or 'important' buses are added the map will become too complex for easy consultation. If people need to know the whole of the TTC or regional network they need to look at a system map. In essence, adding the 192 bus to the subway map is advertising to people that it exists and that it is 'special' - it has luggage racks (finally) for example.

I wish that they produced two maps: One of all the routes separated by colour to make it easy to distinguish between different lines, especially when they are overlapping in a specific corridor. And one which highlights frequent routes only.

Sadly, with their redesign they tried to do too much. It highlights frequent routes, but they are all still the same colour. Perhaps worst of all is frequent express routes are not distinguished well from infrequent ones, and community bus routes are very faint - even though those which rely on them are most likely to have poor eyesight.

Neither is the Brown line in Chicago, it would be disturbing if it didn't show up on their maps.

Okay, I'll bite.

How is the Brown Line NOT a rapid transit line, when it is built to the same standards as all of the rest of their other lines, and uses the same equipment?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Okay, I'll bite.

How is the Brown Line NOT a rapid transit line, when it is built to the same standards as all of the rest of their other lines, and uses the same equipment?

It crosses a few intersections at grade, regularly hitting cars driven by people who aren't paying attention to the crossing. Hilarious setup for a 3rd rail based system, but I don't think it meets the definition of rapid transit provided by that wiki page.

It crosses a few intersections at grade, regularly hitting cars driven by people who aren't paying attention to the crossing. Hilarious setup for a 3rd rail based system, but I don't think it meets the definition of rapid transit provided by that wiki page.
It doesn't really matter, because that Wiki page is clearly wrong. It meets the definition of Rapid Transit of other wiki pages and a Canadian dictionary. The page on that line in particular - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Line_(CTA) - refers to the Brown Line as being rapid tranist.

At grade crossings formally remove it from the rapid transit designation, but like so many things, it's not black and white. It's operationally rapid transit if not technically.

At grade crossings formally remove it from the rapid transit designation, but like so many things, it's not black and white. It's operationally rapid transit if not technically.
Your just making that up. The existence of grade separations has no bearing on the velocity of the vehicle - at least not at the speeds we're talking!

And somehow Wikipedia is the be-all, end-all source of knowledge to all mankind? Please.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

And somehow Wikipedia is the be-all, end-all source of knowledge to all mankind? Please.

It certainly isn't, which was my point to the person who provided that link as support of their "rapid transit" definition.

"Rapid transit" is more of an abstract for operation than any kind of technology. When most of the world's subways and els were constructed, reliable traffic signals and crossings were not available yet, which required them to be built on a separate grade to achieve the desired speed and reliability.

My personal definition is a limited stop service with high frequency and primarily operates in its own dedicated lane.

Back