News   May 02, 2024
 29     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 134     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1.2K     4 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Just another crazy day on the TTC.

Video shows police officers beating man on TTC subway, Toronto Police investigating​

I am all for removing the homeless but this is above and beyond.

This is bordering on Rodney King but not quite George Floyd.

I sincerely hope someone is fired.

Nobody will be fired. Maybe demoted for a month or docked a few days pay. They likely won't be charged with anything, but if they are, it's several years of paid time off until they're inevitably acquitted.

I have seen stuff like this happen before on the TTC. Last summer i witnessed the cops beating the crap out of some guy at Dundas West station. And few months back, dragging some poor drugged up guy at union station.

We have an untouchable police union. an unjust criminal defense system that disproportionately arrests minorities and sides with the police most of the time.

Disagree, this man is 100% scum

"The man was charged with one count of robbery and three counts of failure to comply with probation." three damn counts of failing to comply? Imagine how many things he's gotten away with. The fact criminals have ZERO real punishment is why things have gotten so bad.

I have seen stuff like this happen before on the TTC. Last summer i witnessed the cops beating the crap out of some guy at Dundas West station. And few months back, dragging some poor drugged up guy at union station.

We have an untouchable police union. an unjust criminal defense system that disproportionately arrests minorities and sides with the police most of the time.
Really? our criminal system has a huge issue with letting criminals run free no matter the color we even had a principle where certain minorities criminal history isn't allowed to be considered so people get off scot free hurting the partners etc

His charges of failure to comply are probably because he’s homeless and isn’t following the requirement to be in his residence overnight. Or maybe he has an addiction and his failure to comply is using drugs or alcohol.

Anyways, none of those things should lead to the cops beating you up.
We don't know how long is the hold. He stole the phone and could be playing dumb for hours. Cops have things to do and are pretty impatient when you don't comply. If the cops rushed the situation within 5 min, someone should get fired. If this took 15+ min and isn't getting resolved, it's a different story. Our criminal system is pretty useless. It doesn't teach people a lesson. I'm all for physical punishment for such as caning in times like this. Wiping them a bunch of times and they will think twice before stealing again. Same for the cops who beat up people for no reason if proven guilty. Then they'll feel how abuse of power and beating someone up would feel.

"The man was charged with one count of robbery and three counts of failure to comply with probation." three damn counts of failing to comply? Imagine how many things he's gotten away with. The fact criminals have ZERO real punishment is why things have gotten so bad.
So it is okay to abuse arrestees?

Hopefully the police in question will be terminated.

1711776692493.png

If you use this model, and take into account that the person was spitting on (assaulting) other passengers. Then the kicks are a reasonable amount of force for conducting an arrest in this circumstance.

We don't know how long is the hold

?!

There’s a big difference between being restrained and being kicked repeatedly in the ribs while down. It’s wild to me that both of you think that kicking a detainee constitutes reasonable behavior.

I’m with Richard: that cop needs to be fired.

We don't know how long is the hold. He stole the phone and could be playing dumb for hours. Cops have things to do and are pretty impatient when you don't comply. If the cops rushed the situation within 5 min, someone should get fired. If this took 15+ min and isn't getting resolved, it's a different story. Our criminal system is pretty useless. It doesn't teach people a lesson. I'm all for physical punishment for such as caning in times like this. Wiping them a bunch of times and they will think twice before stealing again. Same for the cops who beat up people for no reason if proven guilty. Then they'll feel how abuse of power and beating someone up would feel.

Putting aside (with some difficulty) what I see as the extremeness of your post overall.........

I would ask; isn't the premise of the justice system that first people get a trial before we convict and punish them?

The use of force by police has 2 basic justifications as I see it, that are interrelated, but not the same.

The first is self-defense or defense of another (a citizen) the same defense any us would use if we were being attacked, or a member of our family was etc.

The second is use of force necessary to do their job, generally to affect an arrest, but perhaps also to exercise a search warrant or to maintain public order. But the justification is predicated on necessity, "I could not have performed by duty w/o using this level of force'.

In this case, the use of force to drop the individual to the floor may well be justified. The use of firm restraint, or even something a bit more in order to cuff someone not being cooperative may also be reasonable. But kicking someone who is both down and restrained is pretty much a no-go.

Any doubt? Listen to the video where another officer can be heard saying 'Stop, stop, stop, that's enough" When your fellow officer is concerned about your conduct, in the midst of the situation, the look is not good.

In reviewing the video I have extracted this still:

1711805918337.png

This is immediately prior to the last kick, the man is clearly prone with 2 officers on top of him.

I might struggle with the choice to kick the first time; but perhaps there was a benefit of the doubt to be had (but perhaps not), but there were 3 kicks total.

That certainly appears neither professional nor justified. Though the officer is entitled to due process, just like the suspect here.

Last edited:
Attempts to make this into "Toronto's George Floyd Moment" by the local Outrage Groups on social media is all that is excessive here. That his name is linked so casually now is astounding.

Attempts to make this into "Toronto's George Floyd Moment" by the local Outrage Groups on social media is all that is excessive here. That his name is linked so casually now is astounding.
Indeed that is overreach.

But that doesn't give a free pass to the Filth - where there remains major issues.

Another example of how the TTC is really incapable of even the simplest things! If you go to any Streetcar schedule that the bottom it says:

1711819328733.png

One might, reasonably, assume the streetcars were replaced by buses but.... no. If they said "For arrival times of the next vehicle..." they could avoid this and still use the same wording on all schedules. They really do not think!

Back