News   May 09, 2024
 60     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 370     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.6K     4 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Another example of how the TTC is really incapable of even the simplest things! If you go to any Streetcar schedule that the bottom it says:

View attachment 552278
One might, reasonably, assume the streetcars were replaced by buses but.... no. If they said "For arrival times of the next vehicle..." they could avoid this and still use the same wording on all schedules. They really do not think!
Remember they changed the number of a route TWICE (I believe the bus to cherry beach) and they still had to original number signs on the post, it's a 10 min drive! They couldn't send someone to drive past and see?

Reactions: DSC
Probably more than twice ...

But it's not unusual to see TTC stop signs years out-of-date, even before they started putting route numbers on the signs.

This is good to see. Although as another commenter on the thread needed to clarify, this isn’t necessarily transit signal priority, but visualizing when going through via car is not allowed (which I’m sure most of you all know).

Good to see needed attention is being put to this.

Image brought forward for all:
IMG_0441.jpeg

This is King eastbound at Church. Essentially rather than just signage to state restrictions, the primary traffic light can remain red. The restriction will be more obvious to drivers and disobeying will be punishable by the Highway Traffic Act, it’s running a red light.

I suspect occasionally drivers may just sit at the red waiting for it to change. They’ll probably need to paint the centre lane as transit only so drivers move to the right lane at the intersection.

Image brought forward for all:
View attachment 552444
This is King eastbound at Church. Essentially rather than just signage to state restrictions, the primary traffic light can remain red. The restriction will be more obvious to drivers and disobeying will be punishable by the Highway Traffic Act, it’s running a red light.

I suspect occasionally drivers may just sit at the red waiting for it to change. They’ll probably need to paint the centre lane as transit only so drivers move to the right lane at the intersection.
They should paint the road red like they do for buses, but you will find clueless drivers there like you see in the bus lanes. Put in red right turn arrows if the light remains red all the time along with a green one.

TTC announces new round of consultations on accessible public transit

Apr. 3, 2024

The TTC has announced a series of public consultations aimed at enhancing accessibility and support for individuals with disabilities utilizing its Wheel-Trans service and conventional transit system. These consultations come as the demand for Wheel-Trans and more accessible conventional transit is on the rise. In 2023, there were 3.02 million Wheel-Trans passenger trips, up 25 per cent from the previous year.

“The growing demand for Wheel-Trans service underscores the importance of enhancing accessibility options and ensuring that all residents can travel safely and comfortably within the city,” said Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow. “These consultations by the TTC are a crucial step towards ensuring that transit services are inclusive and accommodating to the diverse needs of all Torontonians.”

In February, the TTC Board approved a new round of consultations following a request by the Toronto Accessibility Advisory Committee (TAAC) to address concerns around safety, equity, and mitigating impacts of service disruptions within the conventional transit system on Family of Services customers. A Family of Services trip includes a combination of Wheel-Trans vehicles and accessible conventional transit for all or part of a customer’s journey, allowing for more flexible and spontaneous travel for individuals who are able to use conventional transit.

“As TTC Chair and Chair of the Toronto Accessibility Advisory Committee, I recognize and value the unique diversity of all TTC customers, and I am looking forward to hearing ideas and feedback from the community throughout the consultation process,” said TTC Chair Jamaal Myers. “Participation in the survey and public meetings, especially from those who identify as persons with disabilities with lived experiences of taking public transit, are crucial in making the TTC a better, more equitable, and accessible transit system for everyone.”

“We recognize the importance of building an accessible transit system for everyone, which is why our entire streetcar, bus and subway fleets are now accessible,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “By engaging with the community, listening to customer feedback, and continuously improving our services, the TTC is setting a standard for accessible and inclusive transit systems.”

Online survey

Wheel-Trans customers, support persons, and representatives from community-based organizations dedicated to supporting individuals with disabilities are encouraged to participate in a confidential online survey, conducted by Forum Research. The survey will be open until Tues., Apr. 30, 2024.

To take the survey, visit: https://survey.forumresearch.com/SE/1/TCQ5/

Hybrid public meetings

In addition to the survey, the TTC will host two public meetings in April that will focus on addressing potential barriers to registering for Wheel-Trans service and utilizing the Family of Services.

The meetings will be held in person at Metro Hall – Rotunda, 55 John Street, Toronto, ON M5V 3C6. They will be held on the following dates:

Tues., Apr. 16, 2024
4 p.m. – 6 p.m.

Thurs., Apr. 18, 2024
2 p.m. – 4 p.m.

The meetings will also be live-streamed for those who cannot attend in person or prefer to join virtually. Further details are available at: https://www.ttc.ca/riding-the-ttc/Updates/Wheel-Trans-Community-Feedback.

TTC announces new round of consultations on accessible public transit

Apr. 3, 2024

The TTC has announced a series of public consultations aimed at enhancing accessibility and support for individuals with disabilities utilizing its Wheel-Trans service and conventional transit system. These consultations come as the demand for Wheel-Trans and more accessible conventional transit is on the rise. In 2023, there were 3.02 million Wheel-Trans passenger trips, up 25 per cent from the previous year.

“The growing demand for Wheel-Trans service underscores the importance of enhancing accessibility options and ensuring that all residents can travel safely and comfortably within the city,” said Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow. “These consultations by the TTC are a crucial step towards ensuring that transit services are inclusive and accommodating to the diverse needs of all Torontonians.”

In February, the TTC Board approved a new round of consultations following a request by the Toronto Accessibility Advisory Committee (TAAC) to address concerns around safety, equity, and mitigating impacts of service disruptions within the conventional transit system on Family of Services customers. A Family of Services trip includes a combination of Wheel-Trans vehicles and accessible conventional transit for all or part of a customer’s journey, allowing for more flexible and spontaneous travel for individuals who are able to use conventional transit.

“As TTC Chair and Chair of the Toronto Accessibility Advisory Committee, I recognize and value the unique diversity of all TTC customers, and I am looking forward to hearing ideas and feedback from the community throughout the consultation process,” said TTC Chair Jamaal Myers. “Participation in the survey and public meetings, especially from those who identify as persons with disabilities with lived experiences of taking public transit, are crucial in making the TTC a better, more equitable, and accessible transit system for everyone.”

“We recognize the importance of building an accessible transit system for everyone, which is why our entire streetcar, bus and subway fleets are now accessible,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “By engaging with the community, listening to customer feedback, and continuously improving our services, the TTC is setting a standard for accessible and inclusive transit systems.”

Online survey

Wheel-Trans customers, support persons, and representatives from community-based organizations dedicated to supporting individuals with disabilities are encouraged to participate in a confidential online survey, conducted by Forum Research. The survey will be open until Tues., Apr. 30, 2024.

To take the survey, visit: https://survey.forumresearch.com/SE/1/TCQ5/

Hybrid public meetings

In addition to the survey, the TTC will host two public meetings in April that will focus on addressing potential barriers to registering for Wheel-Trans service and utilizing the Family of Services.

The meetings will be held in person at Metro Hall – Rotunda, 55 John Street, Toronto, ON M5V 3C6. They will be held on the following dates:

Tues., Apr. 16, 2024
4 p.m. – 6 p.m.

Thurs., Apr. 18, 2024
2 p.m. – 4 p.m.

The meetings will also be live-streamed for those who cannot attend in person or prefer to join virtually. Further details are available at: https://www.ttc.ca/riding-the-ttc/Updates/Wheel-Trans-Community-Feedback.
Knowing some wheeltrans riders I wonder how much the increase is due to people feeling more safe being out in public in 23 vs 22.

I also wonder does ANYONE prefer the family of service trips where you have to use the subway for part of a trip vs just having a mostly direct ride, I remember they were pushing it pretty hard as a change but got a lot of pushback

TTC launching enhanced fare compliance campaign

March 21, 2024

This week, the TTC is rolling out a new campaign reminding everyone about the importance of paying fares and warning those who steal rides that they are subject to fines.

“The TTC is not free, and even with a significant City of Toronto operating subsidy, we rely heavily on fares. They fund safe, reliable service for hundreds of millions of customers every year and they allow us to keep those fares reasonably priced,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “We need those who willfully deprive our system of funds to understand that their actions have consequences, including less service for others and a fine for themselves.”

The TTC’s campaign comes as a new internal audit report shows fare evasion at an all-time high. The TTC’s auditors found that in 2023, fare evasion was at almost 12 per cent and cost the system close to $124 million in lost revenue. Those numbers are almost double the 2018 review that placed evasion at around six per cent costing the TTC $60-70 million a year.

The audit presentation can be found at:

Over the past several months, the TTC has increased staff for both fare compliance and improved safety and security. This includes hiring fare inspectors, special constables and 130 new stations staff who will be present at secondary entrances to address the issue of gate crashing and assist customers as needed.

The TTC also introduced a new fare collection process that ensures customers are treated with respect and provides enhanced accountability, including the creation of a complaints office. More information is available at: https://www.ttc.ca/riding-the-ttc/safety-and-security/FISCC/Submit-a-Complaint

“We have a team of dedicated, well-trained and compassionate individuals on staff who will treat our customers fairly,” Leary said. “I would hope that they are shown the same respect while they do their jobs.”

The issue of fare evasion is not unique to the TTC. Systems across North America and Europe are wrestling with fare evasion. In their most recent studies, London’s TFL and New York’s MTA both reported hundreds of millions of dollars in lost revenue due to fare evasion.

Starting this week, a new campaign containing a variety of fare evasion messages will be rolled out across the TTC. The campaign focuses on the importance and benefits of paying proper fares while also reminding those who face financial difficulties about the City’s Fair Pass program. Details available at: https://www.ttc.ca/Fares-and-passes/Other-passes/Fair-Pass-Transit-Discount-Program

As well, customers can expect to see increased fare inspection activity and more staff at locations known to be prone to fare evasion. Transit Fare Inspectors will be patrolling the downtown streetcar network and transfer points in stations and there will be an increased presence of supervisors and Special Constables on the bus network. These measures not only deter fare evasion, they help make the TTC safer through increased visibility of staff.

TTC staff will report back to the May Board meeting on responsive enforcement plans and the impact the new measures have had since the auditor’s study.
saw this in action yesterday rush hour coming into union on the 509. 4 fare inspection officers checking fares on everyone exiting the streetcar tunnel

Reactions: PL1
I know someone asked about the TTC replacement of the U-Shaped fluorescent lights with the V-Shaped ones, in stations not that long ago, but I can't find the post.

So I thought I'd share that they are currently replacing the old U-shaped Platform lights w/the V-Shape at Main Station.

I also made note recently that the bus/streetcar terminal of Broadview has these installed, though oddly only outdoors, not inside.

saw this in action yesterday rush hour coming into union on the 509. 4 fare inspection officers checking fares on everyone exiting the streetcar tunnel

Another thing I noticed is the uncovering and staffing of secondary entrances.

I pass through the Emerson Avenue exit of Lansdowne Station regularly and recently there has been a person sitting in the booth keeping an eye on things during the day. I also noted a similar situation at the Indian Road exit of Keele Station.

The staff are not there to accept fares but more to keep an eye on things. Think of it like having an extra pair of eyes to look out for fare evasion.

Not sure about the other exits like at Lowther for example but it is a thing here.

“We have a team of dedicated, well-trained and compassionate individuals on staff who will treat our customers fairly,”
If you're not paying the appropriate fare, you're not a customer, but are a scofflaw or thief.

When I was a kid in London, UK, my grandad's bus had a fare collector riding in back. If you didn't pay, you didn't ride.

Would the cost of adding an extra staff to every vehicle with rear door loading be more than the lost revenue due to fare evasion?

Last edited:
If you're not paying the appropriate fare, you're not a customer, but are a scofflaw or thief.

When I was a kid in London, UK, my grandad's bus had a fare collector riding in back. If you didn't pay, you didn't ride.

Would the cost of adding an extra staff to every vehicle with rear door loading be more than the lost revenue due to fare evasion?

@T3G is correct.

But just to bring some context to that. (very crude numbers here)

The TTC ran about 186,000 scheduled service hours prior to the pandemic.

That equates roughly to hours of vehicle operation, if you add one staffer to each of these, you add 186,000 scheduled hours at roughly $100,000 per staffer (40-hours per week) including pension/benefits/payroll taxes and other overhead, you would get 465M in additional labour costs.

Total TTC fare revenue is a bit over 1B per year. The fare evasion rate is too high, but its nowhere near 40% So you couldn't possibly break even on such a move.

Even if you discount the additional staff on subways, its still an untenable number.

Last edited:
I know someone asked about the TTC replacement of the U-Shaped fluorescent lights with the V-Shaped ones, in stations not that long ago, but I can't find the post.

So I thought I'd share that they are currently replacing the old U-shaped Platform lights w/the V-Shape at Main Station.

I also made note recently that the bus/streetcar terminal of Broadview has these installed, though oddly only outdoors, not inside.
Can someone ask northern light for a photo of the lights? Since he just ignores my posts

Back