News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 714     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

There really is no simple way to make this stop accessible. Any ramps to the closest signalized intersection will take you back to Glendale where there is already a stop. Anyone looking to access High Park can go one more stop west to Colborne Lodge. Those transfering to the 80 can do so at Windermere or Ellis. I suspect all those alternatives will satisfy AODA however IANAL. Should that not be sufficient and those alternatives are insufficient to satisfy accessibility, the stop can simply be closed, as the transfer traffic to the 80 (an infrequent route) probably doesn't even justify its maintenance in the current form.
A ramp will not cut it since there is a road on either side of the track and even the two elevators will not work without a major rebuilding of the overpass and widening it to allow elevators there in the first place along relocating the stairs. Anyone who lives on/visit Parkside will not use any other stops and will use a different route than the Queensway

One of the more distinctive and grotesque TTC stops has reopened after being closed off for two or three years.

Needs “vomit” emoji.

Should that not be sufficient and those alternatives are insufficient to satisfy accessibility, the stop can simply be closed, as the transfer traffic to the 80 (an infrequent route) probably doesn't even justify its maintenance in the current form.

Yeah - I was wondering why the TTC doesn’t just close the stop.

Reactions: max
It would be interesting to know what the passenger counts are. I suspect the stop would not be missed if it were permanently closed. Even the few seconds of faster travel time on the 501 by not stopping would justify the closure.

- Paul

One of the more distinctive and grotesque TTC stops has reopened after being closed off for two or three years. It's the streetcar stop at The Queensway and Parkside, accessible only by a stairway. It looks like covering the old graffiti with gray paint was the only thing that's changed. Here's a link to a YouTube video someone must have made just before it got closed off. The middle landing part of the stairway, frequently used as a toilet by derelicts, had water puddles an inch or more deep on both sides when I took a look at it today. I didn't go up to the track level, but I recall there being a decaying raccoon corpse there for a few weeks in 2020 or 2021. You can briefly see it on the right side of the screen at 3:06 into the video. There's also traffic lights now where the trail crosses Parkside.
View attachment 547187 View attachment 547188View attachment 547189
The lighting is horrific.

New transit signals coming on King?
Spotted for westbound on King at Yonge.

IMG_20240311_141502.jpg

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know what the passenger counts are. I suspect the stop would not be missed if it were permanently closed. Even the few seconds of faster travel time on the 501 by not stopping would justify the closure.

- Paul

I realize this would be costly and doesn't make sense in the near term, particularly in light of the construction just having finished.....but.

I would argue we really out to remove the embankment on which Queensway sits, wherever there are no buildings directly abutting it, and replace it with a viaduct/bridge structure.

This would allow any stop at Parkside to be accessed by completely open to the air stairs (glassed in if desired to minimize snow/ice in winter). The larger reason for doing this is that the section of Queensway south of Grenadier was more saturated and less stable than had been thought previously, making maintaining the Queensway there, at-grade, more challenging, providing proper bridge piers and letting the water underneath loose as open creeks and natural wetlands would be beneficial ecologically, and for flood control, providing excess water somewhere to go.

Its a hugely expensive idea for something that would not improve most people's day to day life...........and will have to wait for another time; but I still think its the right long term idea.

The maximal version of same would involve altering the Gardiner and the Rail Corridor in a similar fashion. (you wouldn't need to remove the entire embankment in those cases, but you would considering widen 3 of the current openings for roads)

I realize this would be costly and doesn't make sense in the near term, particularly in light of the construction just having finished.....but.

I would argue we really out to remove the embankment on which Queensway sits, wherever there are no buildings directly abutting it, and replace it with a viaduct/bridge structure.

This would allow any stop at Parkside to be accessed by completely open to the air stairs (glassed in if desired to minimize snow/ice in winter). The larger reason for doing this is that the section of Queensway south of Grenadier was more saturated and less stable than had been thought previously, making maintaining the Queensway there, at-grade, more challenging, providing proper bridge piers and letting the water underneath loose as open creeks and natural wetlands would be beneficial ecologically, and for flood control, providing excess water somewhere to go.

Its a hugely expensive idea for something that would not improve most people's day to day life...........and will have to wait for another time; but I still think its the right long term idea.

The maximal version of same would involve altering the Gardiner and the Rail Corridor in a similar fashion. (you wouldn't need to remove the entire embankment in those cases, but you would considering widen 3 of the current openings for roads)
What gets me why there is an overpass at Parkside when none of the other roads have one?

It will require a year of work and full closure of the Queensway at Parkside to remove the overpass and replace it with grade level crossing with grade level platform. It will tick the car folks off having to deal with another set of traffic lights.

What gets me why there is an overpass at Parkside when none of the other roads have one?

While I agree that a level crossing here would have made more sense, in light of the fact I want to slightly elevate the section south of Grenadier, I'm not opposed to this staying grade-separated, I just would prefer open bridge/viaduct to embankment; and a much wider opening under Queensway and under the railway and the Gardiner.

It will tick the car folks off having to deal with another set of traffic lights.

There is already a new light there or there will be soon as a crosswalk. So creating a level crossing would not actually result in a net new light for anyone on Parkside, though it would for someone on Queensway.

While I agree that a level crossing here would have made more sense, in light of the fact I want to slightly elevate the section south of Grenadier, I'm not opposed to this staying grade-separated, I just would prefer open bridge/viaduct to embankment; and a much wider opening under Queensway and under the railway and the Gardiner.

There is already a new light there or there will be soon as a crosswalk. So creating a level crossing would not actually result in a net new light for anyone on Parkside, though it would for someone on Queensway.
There's been a lot of construction in the area, as well as a bridge having lanes closed making it effectively one way

Completely useless since there's no priority signalling that's going to be activated for these streetcars. I dont see the point of this at all.
They do technically have some form of priority at the moment. The new transit signals are more intended to facilitate the use of automated enforcement and also "reduce confusion".

They do technically have some form of priority at the moment. The new transit signals are more intended to facilitate the use of automated enforcement and also "reduce confusion".
I'm guessing we'll have transit signals turn green while the regular light is a constant red aside from only the advance right turn activated.

Back