News   May 10, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.4K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

While I agree that a level crossing here would have made more sense, in light of the fact I want to slightly elevate the section south of Grenadier, I'm not opposed to this staying grade-separated, I just would prefer open bridge/viaduct to embankment; and a much wider opening under Queensway and under the railway and the Gardiner.

Much as the inability to reach the Queensway from Parkside is annoying, I would leave it separated so the streetcar avoids the lights and delays.

I'm not so sure that (especially with Parkside separated) we could separate Ellis, Coe Hill, or Windermere. Choking off traffic from any of these might make the remaining intersections just too congested.

The idea of a direct see-through-to-the-lake zone on the south side of Grenadier/High Park is very appealing. The challenges would be a) what's the minimum length of elevation that would be needed to create better drainage and a natural water path(s?) to the lake, with nice trails on both sides b) how do we feel about an up-and-down profile on those roads and c) how to make such an overpass more appealing than the underside of the Gardiner further east.

(Nostalgiac digression to the joy of going airborne over the big bump on the Gardiner at the Humber while riding the back seat of a school bus, back in the day)

- Paul

(Nostalgiac digression to the joy of going airborne over the big bump on the Gardiner at the Humber while riding the back seat of a school bus, back in the day)

Yep - though that bump turned out to be deadly - I can recall one accident where a car went airborne and exploded on impact the way down, killing the occupants.

AoD

I think it just makes rules simpler if there are no exceptions. Also, if you see a car rolling down the street at 10PM, you may believe that you can do the same any time of day - thus normalizing rule infractions later.

It's the same with the fact that they allow through traffic at Bay St. Why? It just creates confusion and misunderstanding.
I don't get this, we're going to make something objectively worse to a large group of people in the hopes that MAYBE it'll be better hypothetically. We don't ban left turns 24/7 because we assume people won't read the signs in the core.

I don't get this, we're going to make something objectively worse to a large group of people in the hopes that MAYBE it'll be better hypothetically. We don't ban left turns 24/7 because we assume people won't read the signs in the core.
I think that when one talk of traffic (or parking) signage one needs t remember that these signs are often being read by people who are driving. KISS is important! (Keep It Safe / Simple Stupid!)

I hate to see signs saying

No Left Turns

Monday- Friday 7-7
Saturday 7-5
Sunday 9-5

OK it would probably be OK to turn on a Sunday at 6.15 but why not just have same hours all the time!

Last edited:

Back