News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 997     1 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 622     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I just read through what happened on Jan 31st, jesus christ that was really mean to @turbanplanner. I agree he can be misinformed on various issues, but that was too far. Can we like not discredit people by strawmanning motivations, or calling them an idiot for not immediately thinking/being too scared to press a yellow strip and instead seeking help from an employee (which is basic human instinct). Imma be honest, if I was in the same position, my first instinct would probably not involve pressing the yellow strip either (I've been riding the TTC regularly for 10 years, and not once have I ever been on a train that had to emergency stop). Let's not just dogpile people we don't like okay?
I certainly have been on such train with an emergency stop. This is before the pandemic.
One time someone fainted in the same carriage as me and they needed to get the paramedics. Fortunately he was okay.
Then another time some pissed off hobo decided the train was moving too slow, press the strip and cuss out the guards. This was on a Saturday afternoon at Bay Station. No he didn’t get charge.

Stuff do happen and sometimes people will all agree we should press the strip. One person might be too scared but they will encourage each other to do so.

So I have a question that I have wondered for a while now. At Dufferin and Finch there is an abandoned bus loop and I can't figure out what bus would have looped there. I thought it would have something to do with either the Dufferin North or Finch West buses but looking through there histories on TransitToronto shows neither used it at least in an official capacity. According to Goolge Streetview it was still connected to the road up till 2007.

Loop1.png
Loop2.png

So I have a question that I have wondered for a while now. At Dufferin and Finch there is an abandoned bus loop and I can't figure out what bus would have looped there. I thought it would have something to do with either the Dufferin North or Finch West buses but looking through there histories on TransitToronto shows neither used it at least in an official capacity. According to Goolge Streetview it was still connected to the road up till 2007.

View attachment 454964View attachment 454965
Used by NOT IN SERVICE buses departing the Wilson Garage to make the left turn from northbound Dufferin Street to westbound Finch Avenue West, to bypass the lineup of single-occupant automobiles making the same left turn.

However, if there was a transit priority signal, the buses could turn left from the right lane, ahead of all other traffic.
Unfortunately, Ontario only uses has the vertical bar for transit signals, at this writing (see link).

This is a good case for using the diagonal bar used in the rest of the world.
fig8c_03.gif

Last edited:
Used by NOT IN SERVICE buses departing the Wilson Garage to make the left turn from northbound Dufferin Street to westbound Finch Avenue West, to bypass the lineup of single-occupant automobiles making the same left turn.
Thanks for the response. I definitely didn't expect it to be for that, it's an odd piece of infrastructure to me at least but I understand why it was built.

However, if there was a transit priority signal, the buses could turn left from the right lane, ahead of all other traffic.
Unfortunately, Ontario only uses has the vertical bar for transit signals, at this writing (see link).

fig8c_03.gif
Walter: I have been looking at UT since it began and you have posted this or similar info every few months for over a decade. You are preaching to the choir and if you want to see proper transit signals here you need to start working on the Ministry of Transport as THEY are the ones who need to make them acceptable here. Then you can start working on the City and the TTC to actually install them.

Walter: I have been looking at UT since it began and you have posted this or similar info every few months for over a decade. You are preaching to the choir and if you want to see proper transit signals here you need to start working on the Ministry of Transport as THEY are the ones who need to make them acceptable here. Then you can start working on the City and the TTC to actually install them.

There are new members of UT, and as we get older we tend to forget things. Like how UT's search is not that good if we want to go back in time for something.

View attachment 454964View attachment 454965
Somewhat after the 1978 opening of the Spadina subway extension, buses to the northwest were quite substantially re-thought, with Sheppard and Finch getting routes that ran directly from their west ends to-and-from Wilson. There was the 116 Oakdale and 118 Finch via Allen - the hope was that riders would prefer the quicker ride to Wilson rather than going all of the way across those two respective streets.

As part of this, bus-only lanes were built along Allen Rd., and to help speed up trips by avoiding left turns, 2 of the above loops were built at the north-east quadrants of the intersection at Finch and Sheppard.

Of course, this wasn't really well appreciated by the riding public. Within months of the 118's launch it was cut back in frequency and service duration, becoming a rush hour only route. Oakdale was cut back similarly at the same time, was gone by 1987. The 118 soldiered on until the opening of Downview Station.

The one at Sheppard was removed as part of the construction for Downview Station, but the one at Finch soldiered on until 2009 (IIRC). With the impending opening of the Hydro Corridor busway later that year, it simply was no longer needed.

Dan

fig8c_03.gif

The vertical bar can already be used for buses making a left from the right hand turn lane. KW is using it that way on Courtland Ave at Hillmount St for buses u-turning into the bus bay at the Block Line ION station. See https://goo.gl/maps/pEmGTRD8oMwmAq936 for a wide view of the intersection, and https://goo.gl/maps/22ThnMX2kJ5upcgSA for a close-up view of the signal.

Last edited:
The York University Express from Downsview used to use that all the time. It provided a secure stop, while also preventing the bus from waiting behind a long line of cars trying to turn left onto Finch. Sort of a right-in, right-out.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how does that loop avoid left turns?
270 degrees to the right equals 90 degrees to the left.

Slightly more seriously, when looking north the entrance to the loop was located about 150 feet north of the intersection in the right-hand lane. The bus would enter the loop, continue turning to the right and then exit the loop about 75 feet east of the same intersection - but now facing west. Yes, the bus would have to go through the same intersection twice, but it was still felt to be faster at rush hours than waiting in the left turn lane.

The York University Express from Downsview used to use that all the time. It provided a secure stop, while also preventing the bus from waiting behind a long line of cars trying to turn left onto Finch. Sort of a right-in, right-out.

I'd forgotten that the York U express went up that way. By the time I had starting going that way, what was now the 196 went up Keele instead of the Allen/Dufferin.

Dan

So, in this year's budget, the TTC is moving to fund mid-day cleaning of streetcars.

In point of fact, they've already launched this.

I had wondered how they were going to do this.

I encountered the operation yesterday at Broadview Station.

They have a very large team of cleaners who are boarding streetcars immediately after passenger alight at the station and moving through the vehicle with sweeping, mopping and spot cleaning of seats in about 75 seconds (yes, I timed them, LOL); very reminiscent of the quick mid-game grounds crew tidying at BlueJays Games, but no soundtrack. Pffft, I think they missed the boat on that one. Would be more fun to watch w/o a good beat behind it!

DSC00761.JPG

Back