News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 392     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

On Sunday I took a EB 512 that got diverted down Bathurst to Bathurst station. Annoying, but also fun for a transit geek to experience.

On Sunday I took a EB 512 that got diverted down Bathurst to Bathurst station. Annoying, but also fun for a transit geek to experience.
You do realize that going out of service this is normal, and they can then be taken (in many if not most cases) all the way to Roncy and Queen?

I usually get off at College when that happens. It's a much superior ride than the buses.

Maybe they could learn a lot more if they came into the modern age? Unbelievable that this hasn't been done before.

Nine years ago:

Wait, is the TTC the first railroad anywhere in North America to use rail grinders or the first transit agency to use rail grinders?

Wait, is the TTC the first railroad anywhere in North America to use rail grinders or the first transit agency to use rail grinders?
These aren't grinders. They're millers. Think the difference between a chisel and sandpaper. Milling also leaves the rail with a harder patina. Grinding tends to alter the crystalline hard surface, although in many instances there's not much practical choice.
How Heating Metal Affects Its Properties | Metal Supermarkets

Milling has been done in North Am for generations, just not automated high-speed in-situ units like these.

Last edited:
You didn't post that until after my comment. I was replying to a different user.

Not sure the point of posting of old videos of grinding with no context.
Here's a hint, go back and read it again. It was posted for you in the first place, but alas...is this going to be the Underground Tube map all over again?

Back