News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.4K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 625     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

It is unclear to me if Montreal are proposing to install 'half-height' doors that 'only' make it harder for people to get onto the track or if they are 'full-height 'ones where they also keep litter etc from the tracks. I assume the half-height ones would be cheaper.

Montreal has three advantages over Toronto in terms of making these barriers much easier and cheaper to install.

First of all, the platforms aren't cantilevered far over the tracks (where there's a crawl area on the TTC to escape from the train, if you are on the tracks). This makes construction a lot cheaper.

Should be a lot cheaper there than in Toronto.

Is that a known fact or an assumption? What is the load-bearing capacity of the platforms near the edge, how heavy would the door installation be, and how much weight would be transferred to the ceiling?
I am asking this because according to the TTC's recent study on installing the doors, they were estimated to cost around $11 million per station, i.e. at the lower end of the Montréal estimate. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...pan-about-suicide-prevention/article36029664/

Is that a known fact or an assumption? What is the load-bearing capacity of the platforms near the edge, how heavy would the door installation be, and how much weight would be transferred to the ceiling?
I am asking this because according to the TTC's recent study on installing the doors, they were estimated to cost around $11 million per station, i.e. at the lower end of the Montréal estimate. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...pan-about-suicide-prevention/article36029664/

They could add ceiling supports every car length.

And floor supports under the platform every car length.
TTC has stated in the past that the platform edge would be reinforce from below the platform.

The new extension platforms edges where design for the doors with no reinforcement.

All entirely an assumption. Though TTC have talked in the past of the difficulty of putting platform doors onto the old downtown platforms. The other two factors don't so much drive the cost, but the timeframe - Line 2 isn't expected to have ATC running until about half-a-century (mid-2020s) after it became active in Montreal.

$11 million per station is a lot lower than the number TTC were bandying around a few years ago. I wouldn't put much stock into it personally, unless TTC have found a way to dramatically reduce the cost (and weight and power supply).

Montreal has three advantages over Toronto in terms of making these barriers much easier and cheaper to install.

First of all, the platforms aren't cantilevered far over the tracks (where there's a crawl area on the TTC to escape from the train, if you are on the tracks). This makes construction a lot cheaper.

Secondly, Montreal already has had ATC for over 40 years. The trains have been stopping in exactly the same place in the station for so long that you can see where the floor is warn a bit, near the doors!

And the trains already take the full length of the platform in Montreal (9-car trains), so no issues of how the door spacings would change by adding an extra car to use the full platform length.

Should be a lot cheaper there than in Toronto.

Not sure what having ATC has to do with the debate. ATC is not a requirement of platform edge doors. One need only to ride the UP Express, which has two stations with PEDs. Numerous other places in the world have them without automated trains.

Not sure what having ATC has to do with the debate. ATC is not a requirement of platform edge doors. One need only to ride the UP Express, which has two stations with PEDs. Numerous other places in the world have them without automated trains.

ATC is a requirement if you have headways under 5 minutes.

Have you taken the UPX? Its a painful teeth pulling process of them lining up with the doors. Sometimes they miss and have to re-adjust the trains. Ive sat there for over a minute while they got the train lined up.

It would be unfathomable on the subway system to expect drivers to do this at every station, or even some busy stations. The subway system would grind to a halt.

Just out of curiosity, why didn’t UPX incorporate ATC?

Because it uses the GO train line for the majority of its route which doesnt yet have any form of ATC.

PTC is what they will use on the GO train network but it isnt ready yet.

It will be mandatory for RER however if they want the service levels they are hoping for.

New TTC RFP for a platform edge door study:

PLATFORM EDGE DOOR STUDY

The TTC requires the services of a consultant to provide professional services to the TTC in the form of a Feasibility Study and Business Case Report that will, investigate the retrofitting of all existing stations with a Platform Edge Doors (PED) system and adding PEDs to future extensions lines as well as providing the TTC with the necessary tool for projecting consequences of the initiative of implementing the installation of PEDs throughout its subway system.

Back