News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 397     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

What they really need is more diversion trackage across Downtown. Extending the Bay Street track to King in the south would be immensely useful. Creating additional trackage along streets like Richmond, Peter is also helpful.

Even restoring City Hall loop would be helpful the if the Bay St tracks were extended as it would permit Dundas, Queen and College cars to turn at Bay St.
Extending the Bay track to Queen is probably feasible as the corners at Bay/Queen are wide; I would be surprised that streetcars could actually turn at King/Bay. If they returned York to two-way operation from Queen to Adelaide (and, of course, fixed Adelaide) that would give lots of options.

I bring this up roughly annually. Why do the transit signals have to be anywhere else besides the dashboard of the transit vehicle? If other drivers can't see them, they won't mistakenly follow them.

Because of the Highway Traffic Act. All intersections that use lights for control must have at minimum two heads at the far side of the intersection pointed at the flow of traffic.

Now, that said, the HTA has recently been modified to allow for transit-specific indications and phases. And while the TTC/City of Toronto does implement them in very specific cases (Spadina & Queens Quay, Lakeshore and Bathurst, Queen and Broadview) the TTC/City of Toronto would do well enough to implement them for all ROW intersections as well as a quick-and-easy way to help reduce confusion at intersections.

That said.....no matter what, you can't prevent 100% of incidents. There are people who will still view and interpret the incorrect signal.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I wonder if the TTC regrets not keeping the Parliament Streetcar. At the time Castle Frank opened the only thing the TTC would have had to do was install tracks into the bus loop since the trakage on Parliament and Bloor already existed. Just having the trackage to Castle Frank alone would have been an incredible addition and great for diversions.

Just having the trackage to Castle Frank alone would have been an incredible addition and great for diversions.
Yes and yes.

Having written this, it is important to remember who is responsible. The TTC management likes lots of things. The politicians control the purse and they are the ones who need to be influenced by the electorate.

Now, that said, the HTA has recently been modified to allow for transit-specific indications and phases. And while the TTC/City of Toronto does implement them in very specific cases (Spadina & Queens Quay, Lakeshore and Bathurst, Queen and Broadview) the TTC/City of Toronto would do well enough to implement them for all ROW intersections as well as a quick-and-easy way to help reduce confusion at intersections.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

With up to five different sets of signals at an intersection and the signage clutter associated with them, I agree 100%.

Think about it.

1. Regular traffic signals. Red-yellow-green.
2. Left turn signals. (some intersections)
3. Bicycle signals. How cute! The lights are shaped like bicycles!
4. Pedestrian signals. With their count-down timers which is one more moving part to watch.
5. Transit vehicle signals. Let's make these look a little different.

No wonder some get confused.

According to sources, see link, a loop for a 505 DUNDAS streetcar extension to the DRL station at Gerrard Station is not currently in the plans.

That leaves a new future alternative destination for 505. Instead of turning NORTH on Broadview Avenue from Dundas Street East, it could turn SOUTH on Broadview Avenue into the Port Lands. Not only would the 505 provide access to the Port Lands, but also get a transfer points with the Relief Line and SmartTrack.

From link.
ttc-streetcar-2011-03.jpg

From link.
26578-93189.png

With up to five different sets of signals at an intersection and the signage clutter associated with them, I agree 100%.

Think about it.

4. Pedestrian signals. With their count-down timers which is one more moving part to watch.

In other jurisdictions, they also the use of red turn arrows. Not allowed in Ontario.
The above video is not authorized by MTO.

Think about it.

It’s not that hard. If you’re a driver, just focus on the lights #1 to turn red-yellow-green. Done.

If this is too hard for you, maybe you shouldn’t have a driver’s license.

Should TTC abandon holiday service on days such as Canada Day?
Are you suggesting FULL service or NO service? There is a demand for transit service 365 days a year; of course demand varies and is less at certain hours/days/seasons which is why we have variations in service. Holiday Service is just another variation that tries to balance demand with service .

Are you suggesting FULL service or NO service? There is a demand for transit service 365 days a year; of course demand varies and is less at certain hours/days/seasons which is why we have variations in service. Holiday Service is just another variation that tries to balance demand with service .

Holiday services just doesn't cut it on holidays such as Canada Day. So many people were out and about yesterday, demand was high and a weekday off-peak service should have been implemented.

Yep, 2 hour transfers have always been there as long as you don't use the same route twice or tap into the subway more than once. I've been doing round-trips for one fare on the TTC for years when keeping these 2 restrictions in mind.
To add to that, in my experience you can use on the same route within 2 hours if that route has both express and local service.

Only have used Steeles East.

To add to that, in my experience you can use on the same route within 2 hours if that route has both express and local service.

Only have used Steeles East.
Unfortunately that's not the case. I've attempted that with the 44 and 188 and it will ding you twice since the direction of travel is the same.

In respect of Canada Day service, I happened to pass through Woodbine Stn on Sunday, at around 8:30pm. The service could not handle all the would be fireworks goers.

They moved the buses onto the adjacent sidestreet and had people line up on the sidewalk as the station was too jammed. They brought in artics.

The line went down the side street to Woodbine, down Woodbine to Danforth and beyond. It was a more than 25m wait to load on a bus.

Fortunately, that was not my destination.

Woodbine's tiny capacity again a serious fail.

I have previously been at Woodbine when service was terminated there due to an emergency further east.

The station was so jammed it was literally impossible to get off the platform.

It was incredibly unsafe, several people almost fell on the tracks.

The TTC really needs to make the case for enlarging this station (and likely some others), the new 2nd exit doesn't make a dent in this problem.

The real solution here is to redevelop the adjacent property, add a portion of that, and what is now the Valumart parking lot into the station complex.

At the very least, they need to double the bus platform space (depth), and enlarge the platform length to hold artics; they also need to double the exit capacity from the mezzanine to the surface; and ideally (though rather more expensively) from the platform to the mezzanine.

That probably wouldn't fully resolve what happened on Canada Day or what might occur in an emergency but it would at least reduce the risk and degree of inconvenience.

Back