News   Jul 15, 2024
 592     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 751     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 599     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Just looking at the headings, I would say that
#2 (Fire/Smoke) and #4 (Door Stuck) are the only TTC related delays - and even there it appears some passenger related causes are included in the numbers.
#1 (Ill passenger) and #3 (Disorderly) sound mostly like typical passengers fault.
The bottom 4 sound like passengers who have crossed the legal line.

I'd say 60% sound like a low estimate of delays caused by passengers.
No smoke/fire are usually caused by garbage and newspapers that people decide to leave on trains instead of throwing them out. Sometimes it is dried leaves too. Not entirely TTCs fault. Tracks don't catch fire by themselves.
Door stuck cause of garbage is passengers problem too. If TTC enforces not littering and no food/drinks, there wouldn't be as many problem. Also, if they stop putting free newspapers at every station, the track fries would be reduced.

Sorry if this has been posted before, but the TTC has removed all the overhead subway maps at Sheppard line stations.

I'm surprised they completely removed them, instead of just putting a "Sheppard West" sticker over Downsview station. I wonder if they'll put new maps up after TYSSE opens, or just leave them blank.

IMG_0158.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Sorry if this has been posted before, but the TTC has removed all the overhead subway maps at Sheppard line stations.

I'm surprised they completely removed them, instead of just putting a "Sheppard West" sticker over Downsview station. I wonder if they'll put new maps up after TYSSE opens, or just leave them blank.

View attachment 105150
Apparently, Sharpies aren't enough.

While we're on the subject of TTC delays (both passenger and TTC related), is it just me or has service on the B-D line slowed down quite a bit compared to years past?

I've been noticing that the TTC has been putting up a plethora of speed restrictions on the line that didnt exist in the past. Here are just a few examples: Eastbound between Islington and Royal York @ 35km/h, Eastbound between Dufferin and Ossington @35km/h, Eastbound between Spadina and St. George @35km/r, Eastbound and Westbound between Ossington and Christie @35km/h.

Most of the aforementioned seem to be switch related which leads me to the question, does the TTC have some kind of phobia related to track switches across the entire system? We all know the TTC has essentially crippled streetcar service with these same limitations, albeit the track switches on the streetcar network isnt entirely their fault.

While we're on the subject of TTC delays (both passenger and TTC related), is it just me or has service on the B-D line slowed down quite a bit compared to years past?

I've been noticing that the TTC has been putting up a plethora of speed restrictions on the line that didnt exist in the past. Here are just a few examples: Eastbound between Islington and Royal York @ 35km/h, Eastbound between Dufferin and Ossington @35km/h, Eastbound between Spadina and St. George @35km/r, Eastbound and Westbound between Ossington and Christie @35km/h.

Most of the aforementioned seem to be switch related which leads me to the question, does the TTC have some kind of phobia related to track switches across the entire system? We all know the TTC has essentially crippled streetcar service with these same limitations, albeit the track switches on the streetcar network isnt entirely their fault.
I think it's more just wear and tear on the tracks on the line most of the speed restrictions are around for a few months or so well they replace sections of track over night. A good way to tell is if you see rails sitting in the middle of the tracks by one of the zones. Switches are a but more complex and would probably need a full shut down if they need to replace them.

There are a lot of rules on the subway that were.....uhhhh......"ignored" for a long time. The speed limits on the equilateral switches at the triple-track sections at Islington, Ossington and Chester are an example of that kind of thing.

The ongoing installation, activation and adjustment of the SCS system has finally forced the operators to abide by the rules and speed limits, and yes, has seemed to slow the trains down a bit.

The other issue is that there are now so many trains on the line at rush hours that there is always a backlog at the terminals. Rather than an incoming train only having to wait for a single or two trains to enter Kennedy or Kipling, there is frequently a backlog of three or more.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The other issue is that there are now so many trains on the line at rush hours that there is always a backlog at the terminals. Rather than an incoming train only having to wait for a single or two trains to enter Kennedy or Kipling, there is frequently a backlog of three or more.

Weren't they planning on instituting double step backs to get trains in and out of the end terminals faster during rush hour?

Weren't they planning on instituting double step backs to get trains in and out of the end terminals faster during rush hour?

They have, and while it's helped it hasn't helped enough. Just look at the train throughput numbers in the monthly CEO reports - they consistantly fall short of their goals.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Had attended a family event at the Long Branch Legion and was watching the 501 buses while waiting for an MT bus just after 9 pm for 20 minutes or so. Headway was all over the place with as many as 5 buses sitting on the east side of the light to the point buses sat there 10 plus minutes before arriving at the loop to pickup the odd rider.

Had a look at the shelter and see folks have done a nice job on the May sign and hope no one from here had a hand in it. Photo to follow when I get the others in front of them done.

There are a lot of rules on the subway that were.....uhhhh......"ignored" for a long time. The speed limits on the equilateral switches at the triple-track sections at Islington, Ossington and Chester are an example of that kind of thing.

The ongoing installation, activation and adjustment of the SCS system has finally forced the operators to abide by the rules and speed limits, and yes, has seemed to slow the trains down a bit.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
That SCS explanation makes sense, I didnt know it was activated in those areas. That would explain the slow speed at the triple-track sections but the ongoing restrictions at other turnouts and track sections is getting out of hand. The TTC implements the speed restrictions for months before they actually do anything about implementing the solution.

As for the backlog at terminals, that problem has definitely been getting worse. Before (at least in the west end), the backlog of trains would begin after Islington but now it stretches all the way back from Royal York.

I've seen an ad in the 24hr newspaper saying POP was required across the system now as well as an ad in the bus.

I have seen nothing on social media or the TTC website. What's the deal?

Back