News   Jul 15, 2024
 686     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 863     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 623     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Why don't they just do the two changes at once? Seems stupid to change all these signs and subway maps when they'll have to do it again in nine months.

I think the intention is to acclimatize Torontonians to the change, otherwise if the new Downsview Park station opens at the same time as Downsview becomes Sheppard West there is potential for lots of confusion.

$600K to reprogram the announcement system. Sheesh, what do they do? Enter the sound file *.wav bit by bit? Can we just pass it to some kid and let them crack it?

AoD
It does sound rather a rip-off but since we all complained even more about the illegible handwritten signage I suppose it's the 'price of progress' (and undoubtedly the customers' fault!)

$600K to reprogram the announcement system. Sheesh, what do they do? Enter the sound file *.wav bit by bit? Can we just pass it to some kid and let them crack it?

It's not like they can just walk up to some random person on the sidewalk, get them to say "Sheppard West", record it on an iPhone and add it to the system. I have no clue what the $600,000 cost breakdown is but let's not play armchair TTC management.

Also, they're doing the whole announcement system upgrade, including all the TYSSE stops, in one shot.

They probably got shafted on some vendor-reliant product and can't do the changes themselves or they're complicated to do.

Sort of like Presto and being unable to set different fares levels on the TTC. Thanks Accenture!

I think the intention is to acclimatize Torontonians to the change, otherwise if the new Downsview Park station opens at the same time as Downsview becomes Sheppard West there is potential for lots of confusion.

This is the same kind of hand holding as not using a station name more than once because it was confuse Torontonians even though residents of other cities seem to get by just fine. We can't be trusted to use our brains much.

600K to change a system that when bought would have had such a change in contemplation. Makes what they are getting for SRT refurb look like an utter bargain!

The mechanical failures are a problem but sometimes stuff happens and the TTC can't prevent everything. Let's ease off the drama pedal.
Try telling that to the thousands of people on any given subway or streetcar line who get stranded due to a disabled vehicle and service gets crippled across X line which carries thousands of people an hour.

It's not like they can just walk up to some random person on the sidewalk, get them to say "Sheppard West", record it on an iPhone and add it to the system. I have no clue what the $600,000 cost breakdown is but let's not play armchair TTC management.

Also, they're doing the whole announcement system upgrade, including all the TYSSE stops, in one shot.

Actually, let's armchair it, because you and I are both helping to pay for it - and the funny thing of course is that it wouldn't have surprised me if it sounded better off the iphone recorded with an Apogee One.

They probably got shafted on some vendor-reliant product and can't do the changes themselves or they're complicated to do.

Sort of like Presto and being unable to set different fares levels on the TTC. Thanks Accenture!

This said it all - "Bombardier's proprietary announcement system". Makes you wonder if it is another proprietary system that kept the TTC from changing that serif font on the LED destination display.

AoD

Last edited:
600K to change a system that when bought would have had such a change in contemplation. Makes what they are getting for SRT refurb look like an utter bargain!

Five bucks to reprogram, $599,995 to record A-list celebrities and the cast of Hamilton singing Sheppard West Station. Seriously though I'd like the news to look into this and explain it. I'm no tech guy, but $600k seems unreal.

What do you mean? The fare level on my Presto card has changed several times, as the fares have increased over the years - it's always the same as a token.

And the fare on my 9-year old's card has changed too - used to be 60¢ - and now it charges $0.

Back